SHOULDA STAYED HOME

ReelAffair

feel sorry for this person...A good day gone bad

036.jpg

the back of the truck was floating, and the wheels were turned, so he may have gotten out and not put in park....the park brake may not have held...or the parkpawl let go...****ty situation

I totally feel for the guy....I helped with a few others to get the truck out and get it running

I have a brake pedal depressor which also works awesome...it pushes on the brake pedal and locks on the seat and I also use the park brake on as well....at that point if it doesn't hold the ocean can have her....thats why I pay insurance

That's why I always throw it in 4-wheel drive before backing down the ramp. You may need that front wheel drive!

And you usually need some foward motion to get it into gear - once your in a pickle, it could be too late.

I had a situation years ago. I pulled into a friends "driveway" it was a patch on his front lawn. I made the mistake of pulling up to about 2 feet away from the house in 2 wheel drive. When I went to leave, I couldn't get enough traction on the grass to back-up and I couldn't go forward to get the front hubs to lock in. All because of a very gentle slope that you wouldn't think twice about stopping on. It was so long ago, I can't even remember how I got out without being towed out.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

ANYONE want to buy a GMC?????? wont be long before thats a rust bucket and all the brakes seize up best thing he could do is head straight for a fresh water lake and put it in there again not as high though LOL and try and get all that salt out of the brakes and all other parts etc wow its not like it was a 5000 lb boat toooh well im sure he wont ever do that again. feel really sorry for him as that really sucks

Wolf

I put a line lock on the front brakes of my old Ford p/u. Simply flip the toggle with the brake pedal depressed and the hydraulics are engaged/locked along with the parking. Why manufacturers don't offer a similar setup with all rigs set up for towing I don't know. A $75 part saving a 60K diesel truck.

he was going to call his insurance....as soon as they are in salt water they get written off for the rust/corrosion issue

one of our favorite summer time activities used to be heading down to the local river boat ramp with our lawn chairs and cooler full of beer. you just never knew what entertainment was coming your way while you enjoyed the sun and summer breezes.

guy in a pink cadillac pulled up, took off the tie downs, unhooked the bow cable and chain then started backing down the 100' to the water. got going a bit crooked so he put on the brakes. yep, off came the boat, motor still down as well, BAMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he put on the parking brake got out and was standing there wondering what to do next. there was usually a volley ball game going on with a bunch of young stout lads so this crew of folks came over, someone took charge and they actually lifted the front of the boat back on the trailer and started winching and lifting. guy got the boat off the ramp but what a mess.

of course, since then, i have also been the entertainment at the local ramp :)

I think all of us has done a bone head move or too at the boat launch maybe we should start a new topic called bone head boat launches

Happens a lot to people with automatic transmissions. The retaining pin in park is small. When it pops out under load you get this situation.

Reel Chaos

Crappers! This could happen to anyone. I plan to learn from this and tighten up my loading/Launching process. I have been lazy lately with using the parking brake. Time to change that.

I hope the people that helped my dad read this as I just want them to know how thankful I am for helping my dad during this time.

Dad has been fishing for many many years and this is the first time something like this has happened to him.

It made my heart smile hearing how the young guys out there stepped in and dealt with my dad's situation, getting his truck out of the water, getting the truck started and the hug that was given to dad brought a tear to my eye.

So thank you all so much, it's nice to know that Dad is not alone when he is doing the one thing he loves most, and that is fishing.

Diana.

Something has happend to us at 1 time or another...and we may all need help at one time. I almost lost my truck camper and boat when the Tranfercase kicked out of gear. I will always help someone when in need, and your dad was in need. Mike Chipps helped with the truck...but the biggest help and worst job was done by the young lad hooking up the chain....that water was some COLD...getting running in my opinion was minor.

Glad we could help:)

I'll never forget the guy at Allouette Lake who pulled up in his 1 ton with a brand new diesel motor in it, and a 10 foot camper and towing about a 22 foot ski boat.

backed down the ramp, stopped just shy of the water to pull the back straps off, put it in park, still running, got out and started walking to the back of the boat. About 1/2 there there we all heard a loud SNAP as the parking pin broke and the truck slowly backed down the ramp still atatched to the boat and camper. It finally stopped when the floatation of the boat and camper was greater than the weight of the unit. By that time it was up past the side windows of the camper and past the door windows in the truck. In addition he had also hydrauliced his brand new motor ($7000).

It was nice to learn that lesson from someone else's misfortune. Now I always shut off the truck leave it in 4 lo and have the parking brake applied anytime I get out ot the truck on the ramp. [^]

To "Daughter" when my Dad lost his car there years ago, you wouldn't believe the help that just appeared from every where.
I find for some reason when you are out fishing if you run into grief, there are usually people appearing out of the wood work with offers of help,weather it be parts, batteries or tools, tows etc. for some reason its a good bunch of people.
Dan.

Back