Should I install a Airmar thru hull transducer?

Sir Reel

I have a Furuno GPS/sounder with a transom mount P66. I lose bottom quite often and have not been able to find a solution. I think it is disturbed water coming out the back. I could try moving the transducer farther away from the leg. However I have heard that thru hulls are much better as they have clean water so I purchased a brand new Airmar B744V bronze thru hull on eBay for $75 ( regular $375). Model is 525STID-MSD.
However now I am getting cold feet about drilling a big hole through the bottom of the boat. I do have a fairly flat area just forward of the engine that I think would be a good spot.
The transducer comes with a high speed fairing that needs to be shaped to the hull bottom so that the transducer is level. It also requires a big bolt through the front so that it can't rotate. So actually need 2 holes in the bottom.

Would love to get a 1KW transducer a I like the flat profile but cant afford the $1000 hit. My black box sounder (DFF1) does support it.

So is it worth it to install? Anything I need to watch out for if I drill a hole through the bottom of the boat?
Hoping someone has some good advice on this.

Here is a picture of what I have.

Thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• Transducer.jpg
    Transducer.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 257
good luck just to ease your mind doing the same
but for an b150m low profile
and may end up doing another for a b175-w

as i have same issue with my p66 sometimes it holds other times it gone
still playing with the mounting and angle's

One thing you might want to try -- given that this transducer is 600w -- it's very powerful. Before drilling any holes, you could try to mount it as a "shoot-thru-hull" transducer. I have had an Airmar P79 installed on 3 boats now as a shoot-thru transducer. I've found that it tracks and holds bottom better than any transom mounted unit I've owned. 2 weekends ago, held bottom across Haro Straight in 900+ feet of water in a 4' swell.

Easy enough to try it. Get yourself a small plastic container and fill it with water. Place the transducer in the water and put the container on the bottom of your hull and test it out. If it holds -- you just need to figure out a way to permanently mount the transducer in liquid in the bottom of your hull.

That's a great idea Terry. I will do that before drilling any holes. I can confirm the location too.

The unit has temperature and speed as well so if I don't put it through the hull then I would loose those functions.

your plotter gps will give you speed
so no real loss there and temp is no real biggie either as your sonar should be showing where the fish are
unless you fish the big lakes and look for thermoclines

another way is mount it on a bit of angle bracket and hang off the transom but your back to dirty water again when running ....

one problem i have with my p66 is the angle or how the boat is sitting
with the big shim supplied its to much or to little needs to comes with a couple more shims half and half again so you can really fine tune

my p66 is side by side an HDI 83/200 455/800 skimmer there now swapped over so not as the pic anymore but in the same location
as you can see due to the trim tabs and the I/O leg not got much room

but i bet its the mounting as to why your having issues

Attachments

• 282.jpg
    282.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 94
Back