Shimano Terez

I recently became interested in this rod, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I believe the model at Trotac is the TZC70H -7' Heavy, Fast, 50-100, aluminum gimbal with cap included. The one draw back I have with this rod is that EVA gimbal cap. If you don't use the gimbal then why bother getting a rod with it? Those caps wear out, or come off and get lost. The next model I can find without it is the TZC70MH - 7' Medium Heavy, Fast, 40-80.

I currently own Trevalas, and had two sets, one set with gimbals the other without. I gave the rods with gimbals away I disliked that butt so much. Now I think I could have found a durable rubber cap and glued it there permanently, but I hate thinking I have to modify a $300 rod.

The Trevalas I kept are the TVC-60H2 - 6' Heavy, Medium Fast, 60-200, no gimbal. They are really limber, a 30lb Hali looks the same as a 200lb Hali when bent, and they'll get those fish to the surface no problem, they really have a good sling shot effect when jigging Norwegians. Very nice rod, they are for sale along with Talica 12 reels so I can get new rods for some new Accurate Boss Extreme reels I got.

The rating used to describe rod characteristics is not consistent, the Terez rod at Trotac with 50-100 rating creates a nice curve when you put full pressure on it, my Trevala 60-200 bends aggressively right above the top foam, the tip is pointing almost directly down with a 30lb fish putting pressure on it.

I don't want to buy the 8' Terez, I feel that is too long for a Hali rod. Although not so many years ago when we were fishing 9' Uglys, if someone had told me they were fishing a 11'4" GL2 I would have not believed it either.

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-terez-conventional-fishing-rods.html#

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tubber, I'll take a look. I found some durable rubber gimbal caps. My experience is that the gimbal eventually wears through the cheap soft compound cap manufacturers include with their rods. I am considering getting the TZC70MH and cutting off the bottom four aluminum pieces that make up the gimbal, and making a smooth rounded bottom, then gluing the rubber cap on. I know it is extreme to have to do that but I have not seen a rod with the power I'm looking for without a gimbal, and isn't 8' long.

fb_05_b.jpg

This is the cap they should be including with the Terez rod. It says Fuji Quality Products on the cap. Thanks Dogbreath for helping me to look that up. This rod is a Zenaq Fokeeto FS 53-20, apparently it is a $1300 rod. http://www.pechextreme.com/en/jigging-rods/159-zenaq-fokeeto-jig-fs-53-12.html

Fuji makes some decent rubber gimbal caps-four different sizes IIRC-but they must be genuine Fuji products the others look similar but are a POS.

I fish with the 7ft heavy Terez rod that you are looking at. I primarily use them in Mexico for stripe Marlin. They are by far the best live bait rod available. For Halibut and Tuna I prefer the medium heavy Terez. It has a softer feel with enough back bone. It comes with a fixed cap, not a cover with gimbal under neath. Another rod that you may want to consider is a Tallus. They are half the money and have the perfect action for the fish we catch in BC. I have it in spinning and regular. It comes with a gimbal and a cap. On my spinning rods I use a Saragosa 8000 with 50lb Braid and on Terez and Tallus rods I use Talica 12's with 60lb. The Saragosa 8000 is a little over kill for Albi fishing but great for Halibut and any of the fish down south.
Whenever I am fishing I always have the Scotty Hammer Heads with me, I only takes a sec to slip one on the rod when you get a fish on. Those gimbal butts will leave a nasty bruise on a big fish. You don't want to remember the fish of a lifetime by the scare on your gut.

Thanks godeep,

My initial thoughts were to get the TCZ70MH Medium Heavy, Fast 40-80, there is also the TCZX70MH Medium Heavy, Extra Fast 40-80. I am leaning towards those again after reading your reply, and instead of having to find the right butt cap and glue it on. I like the Tallus rods but the reel seat on the Terez is enough for me to spend the extra money. I am putting brand new Accurate DPX2-600 reels on these rods with 80lb Super 8 Slick line. This combo will be as cool looking as they are performance wise I am sure.

I have had a bunch of different colored Terez rods over the years and I have settled on the black ones as being my favorite. They were really hard to get for almost a year and now they seem to be everywhere. It was really hard to find the right rod from ordering from a catalog and I was fortunate that I was able to sell the ones that were not what I thought they would be. I checked my favorite setups and they
are TCZ70MH. Medium heavy seem to be the best overall in both Terez and Tallus for the waters around here. For boat bashing rods the Tallus rods are really tuff, they lack the bling but are the go to rods for a large percentage of the worlds offshore fishing crowd. A warning that Terez rods are addicting and it is hard to back to anything else once you have spent a day with one... It will the beginning of a very pricey relationship..

I cod and halibut jig with an 8' Terez. I have a dual speed Avet reel (forget the model#) and this combo works very well for me. I usually jig a 600 gram cod jig due to currents here in CR. The length of the rod gives excellent lift with not much effort. The sensitivity is really good as well. Only con is the 8' rod is a PIA to transport.

Back