SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

I just wanted to say thanks to the whole crew who put on the great event. You even got the weather right!

My neighbour and I went out Saturday morning and picked up a spring and halibut each out of Oak Bay. The salmon were 8.5 and 10lb and the hali was 11 and ....6.5 lb trolled up on salmon gear!

Sunday we went out to Oak Bay for one last try and pushed our luck getting out on the water late and then not getting off early enough. We trolled up another halibut(first time I have ever had a hali while trolling and we got both this weekend). We missed the weigh in by 15 minutes....but the fish was the prize in itself, being a beautiful 19 pound hatchery chinook. As apposed to dodging boats in the crowd, we decided to chase bait balls and birds in shallow and it paid off. Both the salmon and halibut were found in 65' of water and 50' down on anchovie.

Thanks for the great event and the stacker tackle box that I won should have my gear a whole lot more organized.
IMG_2914.jpg

Once Governor has a chance to catch his breath I will get him to post all the derby results as well as the final fundraising efforts. We have a meeting soon when we will pay outstanding out of pocket expenses and have a final total. I have about $1000 in out of pocket receipts which include the kegs of beer, porta potti rental, photo copies, tickets etc etc.

Well I got out with "Da Man" Bag-Juan recently.

He wouldn't let me mount the banana man on my boat for the day but other then that disappointment we had a good time.

He fooled the derby winner on derby day and "Da Man" was right back at it again hooking springs at a furious pace.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373948562.354862.jpg

It might be hard to tell in the pic but I swear mine is bigger! Hah!

We actually each released a couple bigger then what we kept and like any good fishing story we each think we had "The Big One" but of course it got away!

One thing I learned today is although "Da Man" is dialled in on the fish he should spend a couple off days reading the gaffe thread. If we were playing baseball I think he would have struck out twice on one fish!

Anyways I put this braggart story up for a reason I want to thank the banana challenge organizers again for putting on a really fun event. I lucked out on a great prize my new trophy rod/reel. It took over 3 days trolling but I was determined to hook a spring on my new outfit without a flasher and it happened for me on this day more then once.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373949389.707302.jpg

Tight lines and enjoy what is shaping up to be a phenomenal fishing season.

Yeah, awesome day for sure GDW, except i fried the top of my head again, and my arms are sore, and yes my gaffing salmon does need some work, but in my day we used to tail them by hand to bring them into the boat. I don't think i would have struck out twice maybe once!

Great report GDW. Thanks for posting. I hate myself for not making it this year, I've almost chewed through my shoe, putting my foot in my mouth!

It sounds like the organizers have set the bar high....maybe to high??? lol Great job guys.

Nice fish!

Btw, the Derby has donated $5,500 to South Vancouver Islands Anglers Coalition, donated fish to the local food bank and the proceeds of the BBQ went to Charters Creek hatchery. A win-win for all! Big thanks to SFBC and the organizers to put this on. Can't wait to learn what's going to happen with this event next year. Will it be hosted by another region?

As much as a new region would be great. Sooke and Vic sure was a nice place to have people come to. It was great. I would have no problem with this derby taking the JDF's place!

-KK

A big part of how well a derby is received is dependent on the weather and waters conditions during the event. In hindsight we were fortunate to have been forced to change our dates twice and end up with the weekend we did. Ended up being the best weather and water conditions of all the choices.

C'mon, we need to get some bragging going on this thread, there must be some bragging stories out there, I know there has been a lot of nice fish caught, and plenty of them also. I ,myself am enjoying a fairly decent year of catching springs, although i have not caught anything bigger than the fish i won the Banana Trophy. Caught a 25 last friday and before that it's just been 16-22lber's lots of teenager's, pinks, coho and a good number of feeder springs, 7-10 lb.er's . I'd like to brag about the Davey Derby in Renfrew but can't do that considering in 4 trips out in the 4 days up there i managed 2 strikes and lost one that felt good size. My fishing partner did boat a couple of nice springs up there tho". My confidence was a bit rattled when i got back to Sooke but that did not last long as my boat landed 14 Springs in the next three trips. Also got out one day off the waterfront with GDW for some non stop jigging action for those 15-20 lb. springs, that was a awesome day as we picked it right with no wind and not much current. Thanks, again for that trip Pete! - All in all a great year , just looking for a Tyee to release as the freezer is full.

Well Mr Brag Juan...errr I mean Da Man...LOL lots of fish being caught by everyone right now. I haven't beat the 57 pounder so I'm keeping quiet.

Ha, I'd like to have more to brag about but usually I keep a lower bragging profile. I have been doing alright this year. High-or Lowlights were certainly that I could have single handedly won the Sidney Derby if I had listened to High Five's advice to change out the retail hooks on the coho killers. I have had a great hali season but not the sizes to brag about. The kitchen chef is more than happy though.... Another highlight was a stellar day in the Consultants Derby were my boat got the 2nd and the 5th largest salmon (29 and 25). I had a nice trip up to Malcolm Island again this year with Deewar25 and my son but we didn't catch any record fish size or numbers there. Unfortunately I have missed out on some of the incredible spring days in Victoria and Sooke due to trips out of town and have not had a day with more than 2 or 3 springs per day this summer. Most springs were in the teens with the odd coho pushing 10#. So all in all nice but nothing to sned to the newspaper - yet!!!

C'mon Rollie, you can beat that little peunny 57 lber, i have faith in you..

Rollie already won with out that fish. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Good on ya profisher for pulling off a great event. It's not about the numbers or the size. You get it. That wins in my book. Congrats big time to all of those that put so much effort into the Banana lol. I have posted before that I am not a derby fisherman. Guys like profisher give me hope for derbies in the future. I am an intermediate fisher that really appreciates the efforts of the select few out there that represent us sports fishers to their fullest. Rollie is one of these individuals. Please don't ever forget that folks. Keep up the good work man!!!

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but that fish is not our stubby June fish that we see in Sooke. That fish in the pic looks nothing like them.

Maybe we can't assume that anymore.... Your right doesn't look like typical one.

You are thinking exactly what I was guys! This fish was significantly different than the footballs that I have always assumed were the Columbians. It was also the biggest hatch that I had caught and much larger than the regular hatch crowd on the flats(although same general slender shape) so I was sure to drop that head in the box. Massive tail on that thing. A 19 football would be under the slot size that was in place at the time for wilds, but I remember this guy(even though hatch didn't matter) measured right on the max size.

Interesting, and figure you guys would be interested.

Bump for the benefit of Fishwhisperer

Back