The Oceanfront Grand Resort & Marina
1681 cowichan bay rd
-starfish room(beside dining room)
Agenda-
1)Chinook
a)Status
b)Hatchery
c)Future
2)Pink net pen project-YES! we are getting pinks here!
plus-round table report,Crab reform report,post season report
for Salmon,Halibut,Lingcod and Rockfish
If you are concerned about the fishery in this area then come out and see whats going on. Reps from fisheries will be attending.

The last thing we need is Pinks. Spend the money and fix the Chinook, and get the hatchery out of the current hands that it's in. But I will attend, for what it's worth.

The last thing we need is Pinks. Spend the money and fix the Chinook, and get the hatchery out of the current hands that it's in. But I will attend, for what it's worth.

The pink project is privately funded by local fishers doing volunteer work and fund raising.
and,funny you should mention it, the hatchery issue is one of the topics for the evening.
See you there.

The pink project is privately funded by local fishers doing volunteer work and fund raising.
and,funny you should mention it, the hatchery issue is one of the topics for the evening.
See you there.

You guys have some good people in that group.

You guys have some good people in that group.

I'll commit to attending.
Hopefully some of our other local members will also be there.
Doug

I'll commit to attending.
Hopefully some of our other local members will also be there.
Doug

Love to see a Robertson Creek type hatchery program on the Cowichan, load er up!! Chinnoks, Coho, summer and winter steel:D

Love to see a Robertson Creek type hatchery program on the Cowichan, load er up!! Chinnoks, Coho, summer and winter steel:D

quote:Originally posted by brennan

Is everyone welcome to attend?
Yes! but its over now.
would of been nice to see some more members from here show up.
There are some BIG things going to be happening with our chinook. Some of this may affect you Renfrew fishers.Make sure you get a say in it or you won't be able to complain when it happens.
We are currently planning a big meeting to discuss the hatchery and the chinook sport fishery.This WILL affect the whole coast.
You are all urged to attend.
I will be posting times,dates etc.
See todays cowichan Citizen paper. also, A channel news is interviewing members tomorrow(thursday 25th).Not sure of broadcast date so watch for it.

I am in Nanaimo - and go to our local meeting...it would be good for you to participate.

There will be another...

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

quote:Originally posted by RVP

I am in Nanaimo - and go to our local meeting...it would be good for you to participate.

There will be another...

Cheers,
RVP. ;)
We have someone who will be there. The message we are trying to get out is this. The chinook are not returning to the cowichan.How do we change it? We are taking 40% of returning fish for brood stock but every year less fish return. Therefore, less brood stock and less fish released. We either need to make more fish or catch less fish. Which do you want?
Talk is of cutting back on areas where cowichan springs are caught.
Example-Campbell River. Cowichan Springs are caught all along the east and west coast of the island and as far as Queen Charlottes.
Port renfrew and Bamfield are just a couple of place which have been talked about for closures to allow Cowichan fish through.
What these upcoming meetings are about is to get the hatchery to go to 100% enhancement. We have started the ball rolling. Now we need everyone to come to these meetings and be heard.
I will notify dates etc.

I did make it to the meeting and found it very informative.
The decline in the fish stock is quite apalling.
Here is a link to the story in the local Cowichan paper that Knucklebuster referred to:
http://www.canada.com/vancouverisla....html?id=76bd46c2-8b84-4012-8d36-69c7f3a4efb2

Recommend that you give it a look over and, if possible, motivate yourself to attend your local SFAB meeting. It costs nothing, and they are open to all.

As for instituting fisheries restrictions to preserve the Cowichan stock - think area closures - the wide ranging travels of the fish would make "your" area subject to the restrictions. For example, 25% of the Cowichan fish are caught in Georgia Strait, slightly more than 10% of the Cowichan fish caught are caught on the West Coast of the Island by the commercial trollers, and 4.4% by the West Coast of the Island Sport Fishing fleet (Averages for years 96-05). The efect of increased restriction would impact all areas of the coast.

Thanks to Knucklebuster for posting the notice of the meeting.

quote:Originally posted by knucklebuster

quote:Originally posted by RVP

There will be another...

Cheers,
RVP. ;)
We have someone who will be there. The message we are trying to get out is this. The chinook are not returning to the cowichan.How do we change it? We are taking 40% of returning fish for brood stock but every year less fish return. Therefore, less brood stock and less fish released. We either need to make more fish or catch less fish. Which do you want?
Talk is of cutting back on areas where cowichan springs are caught.
Example-Campbell River. Cowichan Springs are caught all along the east and west coast of the island and as far as Queen Charlottes.
Port renfrew and Bamfield are just a couple of place which have been talked about for closures to allow Cowichan fish through.
What these upcoming meetings are about is to get the hatchery to go to 100% enhancement. We have started the ball rolling. Now we need everyone to come to these meetings and be heard.
I will notify dates etc.

Ooops! my post is not posted - wierd??

Any way, it is awesome that you will have someone special at your SFAB meeting. What I can add is that the first meeting that I attended in my home town of Nanaimo, truly was an eye opener...mainly in the sence - that there are so many people who are working behind the scenes on behalf of all of the angling public, right beside DFO and other stake holders in a thankless position that eats up all of their spare time...all because they own a passion and a life long fetish for fishing. Without these dedicated folks, alot of what we get to do as avid anglers could not be possible.

Thanks to thoughs who volunteer and dedicate all the extra time to help direct our current fisheries...

...Become part of our solution - participate as a concerned angler and join these important meetings as often as possible.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Quite right RVP , if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem (an old saying still true today!)

AL

Back