Seriously WHY Spear?

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

I think ya might be getting legality and ethically mixed up?
They are allowed to spear, legally. Wether its nets, spear or snagging its really more harvesting than fishing. I really dont care how they get what they need but it wastage that rubs me the wrong way

agreed lipripper... well put!

HOOTEY - just wondering why your posts and comments within seem so aggressive? whats with the chip on your shoulder??

well all appreciate your willingness to learn good techniques and the sharing of your stories, but choose the battles wisely bud. opening up the can of worms about "spearing" is sure to turn nasty!?

Am guessing I am not coming across the way I would like..so again my apologize.....why spear because of the injury factor and wasted fish when I realise it is legal to spear but if the fn are legal and now able to sell their catch, why not treat it as a busness and create less waste and damaged goods....

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

You can look at many of the fisheries like that unfortunately Hootey. You really cant target one user group on this one I think. Every one does their part some more than others.
Draggers, Gillnets, spears, and yes even poking them in the mouth with a hunk of steel can do damage. We usually try minimize the trauma at least.

lets just say it was bad language.....
and ive posted my MUG on here lots....and plan 2 do so again in the future.[:eek:)]

i meant'WE R SCREWED!!!!no....salmon and steelhead will taken it up the rear'

will B taken it up the rear.

sorry.....ive got company over...

Wasn't the Coho and other fish I witnessed floating belly-up, off Sooke this year more of an excessive waste? And hate to admit, that was from us sport fishing... and quite sure it was more than just the one day I saw it? Personal opinion (everyone knows that saying), I believe was a lot worse than I have ever seen - to date and worse than anyone throwing a spear - at a "hatchery" fish?

Charlie..I would say the percentage of inept sporties is the same as inept FN fishers. The larger percentage of both can't recognize species while the fish is still in the water and that leads to higher mortalities when releasing or spearing.

I'd have to agree with others arguing for spearing HOOTEY. Of the many traditional fishing methods this really seems the most selective and lowest overall amount harvested (Fish Traps, Gill nets, even line fishing would have a higher bycatch), even within the boundaries of what each individual's skill at ID and spearing is. This is exactly what I was arguing FOR in the "Is it legal" debate (http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13737). The FN groups you are talking about are actually using traditional methods to harvest a traditional food fish instead of claiming a food fish right to catch and then cleaning up with a big seiner or something like that, killing god knows what in bycatch and not gaining or passing down any traditional knowledge. Or by stringing a mono gillnet across the whole damn river and cleaning out several hours/days of breeding stock, some of which are released, and a few of those might live. Perhaps these same groups are doing this as well but I can't speak to that. Keeping traditions alive with a traditional fishery using traditional methods is something I can admire and get behind as opposed to cleaning out entire schools with modern technology and claiming it's a FN tradition.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Back