Sending money from canada to USA.

Hey I'm going to look at a boat in Portland and I'm wondering if anybody knows of a fast way to transfer money from canada to USA . Another member mentioned wiring is the best but it also takes a few days. Just curious if there are any other options out there that may save me waiting around in Oregon or driving back and forth a couple times. Thanks

There is no really good way unless your bank has branches in the US. Then you can hop over to the branch and get them to cut a certified cheque. EMTs are limited to $2000 for most accounts so that doesn't work well. Consider getting a bank draft for the bulk of the funds, then bring cash for the difference you might be able to negotiate. If the boat is say $20k, take a certified bank draft for $18k, and throw $2k in your jeans. Just remember that you cannot take more than $10k across the border unless you notify Canada Border Services in advance and fill out a TON of forms. Don't ask me he I know that...

Good luck with the boat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you bank with rbc I know they used to have American branches not sure its been years but check with them, I know they used to be able to transfer money etc into the usa

I had money wired to the USA from my TD Canada Trust Account. I arranged the transfer before I left for Salem Oregon and the money was there before I arrived.

Depending on the correspondent bank relationship on the south side. I just wired funds to El Paso last month to buy an SUV. The dealer said it took 3 days. When I had CIBC trace the wire transfer here's what we confirmed. Funds wired at 11:30, routed thru Toronto to New York received by Bank of the South in El Paso at 3 PM local time (same day I wired it from the CIBC Granville St branch in Vancouver). It gets there same day if you do it by noon hour PST if you are dealing with a Regional or mid size bank. Not sure if experience is identical with small Credit Unions or small regional US banks.

Ok well maybe 48 hours is a worst case scenario then. I also deal with cibc . Maybe it's worth just waiting it out down there opposed to driving back and forth . Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Sonya at this company to transfer my funds and prepare my documents when purchasing my Striper 3 years ago.
The company came highly recommended to me by others which transfers ( some as high as 6 figures).
They prepare all the documents to bring the boat and trailers into Canada, and are experts at it, at the boarder it took me 15 min once they seen who prepared my documents, call them you wont regret it !

Clint

PS; I was a banker for 25 years , with many years dealing with international transactions and internal auditing, I had never dealt with Sony and MDSI on a corporate level but my experience with them on my boat purchase was EXCELLENT !

PS All Canadian Banks have USA (international) affiliations, Just ask your friendly Banker ! lol

Sonya McNett
Marine Documentation Service Inc
212 Commercial Ave
Anacortes, WA 98221
360-299-3272 phone
360-299-3273 fax
sonya@marinedocservice.com

http://www.marinedocservice.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my bank do a transfer of funds from my account to the dealers account in south Carolina where I purchased my Grady, this was prior arranged and I had his depositing acct info
I wanted that paper trail, mind you the dealer I was dealing with in Hilton Head was very reputable and has been in business for many years so I was comfortable doing it that way

Back