Purchasing a used boat from the US

MiddlepointBight

Hi there,

(Perpetually) looking at boats, and seeing some great options south of the border, but don't have the knowledge of what it takes to bring a boat back into Canada. Curious to hear of other folks' experience and if there are any "pro tips" or recommendations.

I am assuming there is an import tax? If yes, how much? Any difference between towing boat across the land border vs a sea crossing?

Thanks in advance.
Colin

Hi there,

(Perpetually) looking at boats, and seeing some great options south of the border, but don't have the knowledge of what it takes to bring a boat back into Canada. Curious to hear of other folks' experience and if there are any "pro tips" or recommendations.

I am assuming there is an import tax? If yes, how much? Any difference between towing boat across the land border vs a sea crossing?

Thanks in advance.
Colin
No Import tax currently that I know of for US or Canadian-made boats. Sea crossing is easier in that there is no need to get the trailer inspected, but you have to be confident in your new boat. Friends temp alarm went on his Grady, fortunately, it was a dual engine and it just needed the sensor replaced.

Wonder if you are looking at the same boat as me? :)

Back