Selling boat

bullyjack

besides cash, whats the best way to get paid when you sell your boat and not have to worry about getting scamed? The sale is local, no out of town or overborder sale. Thanks.

besides cash, whats the best way to get paid when you sell your boat and not have to worry about getting scamed? The sale is local, no out of town or overborder sale. Thanks.

Go into the bank with the buyer and get a draft done there on the spot from his account so you see it done. The counterfeit drafts these days are so good that even bank tellers pass them as good until the money doesn't clear days later then you're F'd. I've bought and sold items this way and it is a nice piece of mind knowing you're not taking any chances. There are now even PayPal scammers too where it looks like you get the funds into your account but afterwards you get a notice saying the money sender has retracted the funds or that PayPal itself cancels it due to fraud. The criminals are so good now it's scary.

Go into the bank with the buyer and get a draft done there on the spot from his account so you see it done. The counterfeit drafts these days are so good that even bank tellers pass them as good until the money doesn't clear days later then you're F'd. I've bought and sold items this way and it is a nice piece of mind knowing you're not taking any chances. There are now even PayPal scammers too where it looks like you get the funds into your account but afterwards you get a notice saying the money sender has retracted the funds or that PayPal itself cancels it due to fraud. The criminals are so good now it's scary.
What he said. That’s how I’m doing it from now on

Bank draft is the way to go. My Scotia bank put a 5 day hold on when I sold my boat because of so many fraudulent ones.

I found the best way to receive funds is to provide a voided cheque from your bank account and make sure that void is written in big letter on it. This will provide the buyer your exact account # and his bank also cannot screw up with a account #. The buyer then goes to his bank and gets a direct deposit into your account from his account. Your bank will then hold the transfer for 5 working days before releasing the funds to you. But you will be able to see the funds in your account and no chance of a certified cheque fraud.

Now if the funds are coming from out side of Canada, say the USA. All funds (certified, bank draft…) coming from out side the country will most likely be held for 15 working days (3 wks). I have had three transaction in selling items (one a boat) to US customers and all the transactions were with certified cheques and both of my banks held the funds for 15 working day. Also the guy who surveyed my boat was also paid with a certified US cheque and he told me his cheque is also being held for 15 working days.

I guess with all the scams going on and money laundering the banks are being cautious

I was a banker for 25 plus years and in the auditing dept for 5 , hmmm # 1 Certified Cheque ( just call the bank it is drawn on and confirm it authentity ) as they CAN NOT be canceled or rescinded , just make sure u dont loose it .
#2 IRREVOCABLE Letter Of Credit , same as above. Everything else can just about be cancelled or rescinded or you are taxed or subject to market and or industry trends . Good Luck ! 17 thousand is not a big deal .... 17 million ...yes that's big lol

Last edited:
Good old cash works :D

I always thought that a Certified Cheque was as good as cash but I guess there are ways around anything now. On my new boat the builder and I decided on a cash portion to be paid to save a few bucks on taxes and helped on his end as well. It feels a little strange walking out of the bank with 2 big stacks! It was fun having it in my hands right up until when I had to hand it over....lol But if at all possible I think cash is still king....

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 73
I always thought that a Certified Cheque was as good as cash but I guess there are ways around anything now. On my new boat the builder and I decided on a cash portion to be paid to save a few bucks on taxes and helped on his end as well. It feels a little strange walking out of the bank with 2 big stacks! It was fun having it in my hands right up until when I had to hand it over....lol But if at all possible I think cash is still king....
Risk of being counterfeit lol, unless u know how to check it and trust me there are some really good counterfeiters who love to laundry money on unskilled bystanders

Just like a pot grower

I hate tryin to sell stuff, as usual the guy didn’t show.
Yup , I agree with ya ... or they do show and tell ya they only have 75% of what you agreed on ........ Don't give up there will be that GUY who just has to have your boat and he'll give ya the cash before you even say ..........Hello ! lol , Good Luck !

Back