secure parking at Coal harbour or Port Hardy

finaddict

In Mid August, I will be heading up to coal harbour to launch and go to winter harbour for two weeks. How safe is it to leave a truck and trailer at coal harbour? If not good, is there anywhere in Port Hardy to park? Does anyone know of any enterprising landowners who would be prepared to have a full size truck and trailer parked on their property for a nominal fee? :D

Finaddict

The parking at Coal harbour sucks. Right now you need to park your trailer in one place and the truck in another. And yes you need to watch your gas tank. If you are going to Winter Harbour, go to Port Alice, free launching and parking, just not sure about the length of stay. I can check for you, if you want. The other thing about coal harbour launch, is that it is an old whaling station and the ramp is unusable at low tides.

I will be heading out there on Monday for day of fishing. I always launch at Port Alice.

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Although I have never used Port Alice, I asked a similar question here a couple of years ago and Port Alice appeared to be hands down a better choice than Coal Harbour. Watch the winds though I beleive was the advice.

Parked at Coal Harbor last year-bit of a gong show.Not much of a parking lot as we were boxed in when we came back.Think it cost 5 dollars a day.Didn't really see any security presence their either.
The advantage to launching there was the shorter trailering time.

Fin:
Just pulled out of there yesterday close to high water and about 2/3 of the raft was submerged.(You could'nt step off of the stern without dragging the bow.
The parking lot was jammed full like Sitka said. $10.00 to launch and $10.00 per day for parking.

Back