SeaStar steering

ratherbefishing

Anybody recommend a place to buy this kit. I know there are LOTS of places that carry it or can get it in but I have been quoted between 1100 and 1300 for the 'standard' kit (with hoses) - I can buy out of the US for 780usd. I'd way rather support a Cdn shop but for $400 I need to think twice.
Cheers

I still have some 20 ft hydrolic seastar lines for sale if you want to buy them??? mint condition only used 2 months

Wolf

What size motor are you putting it on? If it's 150hp or less you can use the BayStar as it's rated up to 150hp. There's a new BayStar kit on Ebay for $499. The cheapest SeaStar I saw on Ebay was $709.99.

Thanks guys...yup I looked at BayStar but as mentioned it means the kicker tie-bar won't work which is a bit of an issue. I've also heard some mixed reviews on the BayStar and not one bad thing on the SeaStar - other than price.

It is going to go on a Honda 115...not a lot of horsepower but she isn't a small or light engine. Add the kicker on there and she can be a bit of a workout when trolling slow...

I've got the SeaStar on a Merc 115 and it's been great.

Make sure NOT to use plumbers tape when installing the fittings as the dealer who installed mine did and it created no end of problems as the tape boke down and clogged the valves in the helm. Use liquid pipe dope. Other than that it's a simple install as long as you get the right ram for your outboard.

If you buy from the states make sure you find someone who will ship via US Post or your customs charges will eat up a chunk of your savings from dealers who use a courier.

Ratherbefishing,

Just curious, what kind of bad reviews have you heard about BayStar? I'd like to avoid future problems, if possible. I've had mine for three seasons now and 3 of my friends have had BayStar for as long or longer without problems. Sounds like maybe we've been fortunate (so far).

Slabby

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Ratherbefishing,

Just curious, what kind of bad reviews have you heard about BayStar? I'd like to avoid future problems, if possible. I've had mine for three seasons now and 3 of my friends have had BayStar for as long or longer without problems. Sounds like maybe we've been fortunate (so far).

Slabby

The hose connections use the little farrels that can be hard to keep sealed if the connections move, and they have no provision to connect a kicker to the main ram.

Was working onthe boat today and the old rack and pinon system must have seized up over the winter. ended up spliting the cable needles to say it is screwed. I will replace next week. Is the baystar a go deal if you do not steer your kicker with my main wheel. or should just buckup for the sea star.

MJ

quote:Originally posted by rmj002

Was working onthe boat today and the old rack and pinon system must have seized up over the winter. ended up spliting the cable needles to say it is screwed. I will replace next week. Is the baystar a go deal if you do not steer your kicker with my main wheel. or should just buckup for the sea star.

MJ

If you don't have a kicker, and can get the little compression fittings to seal, go Baystar.

Installed Baystar with extra rear helm myself last season over 100 days and no problems!!!I have a kicker and just used the stainless steering bar like I did before.Works great!!
baystar002.jpg

tightlines kronic

Back