7.gif
7.gif

Just a shame my ol' buddy Paul wasn't onboard [}:)]

"We're gonna sink a Nut-Bar!!"
1.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Ironoggin,
Maybe you can fly down there and help out the Japanese with their raping and pillaging of the ocean while fighting Greenpeace. It only sounds like the right thing to do. Don't forget to bring your Japanese long lines with you as you might get a chance to get some fish as well.

I know there are hard feelings about Paul Watson but if I was to choose between him and the Japanese fishing industry I'd side with Watson.

Interesting. The first shot was the initial footage released. Hard to tell what happened, looks like Japanese ship on a straight course, then once collision looks imminent the SS boat accelerates into Japanese ship. This did not jibe with the SS explanation that they tried to reverse out of the way.

Second shot from the SS ship I think shows it better though. SS boat at a stop, Japanese ship is angling towards it to get close enough for water cannons. When SS boat realizes they are about to be hit, they try to gun it ahead of Japanese boat, but too little too late.

So, regardless of the arguments for SS being there at all, putting themselves in harms way, etc., I think this might go badly for the Japanese. They also did not respond to the mayday call.

Will be interesting to see this play out.

As for the tree hugger mentality.... I am all for it. AS with everything in life, a balance is needed. The people of greenpeace (for example) are doing what most of us are not willing to do. In essence, I beleive they are contributing a balance for an otherwise out of balance world out there. ( thanks to humans )

IMHO

HL

quote:Originally posted by MRWood

Hey Ironoggin,
Maybe you can fly down there and help out the Japanese with their raping and pillaging of the ocean while fighting Greenpeace. It only sounds like the right thing to do.

I ain't suggesting I am onside with the Japs and their ruthless approach to fisheries resources. I well understand they are THE</u> world's largest consumers, and completely understand what lengths they go to to maintain their appetite.

BUT, I also have a very good working understanding of Mr. Paul Watson and his cronies. I had the misfortune to deal directly with him, and his organization (SEA SHEPHERD btw - NOT</u> Greenpeace - SS splintered off at Greenpeace's insistence due to their abhorrence at SS' willingness to engage in CRIMINAL</u> activities & Violence) numerous times in the past. The man is a SLEAZEBALL, lying, cheating, CRIMINAL with all the morals of a half-dead slug. Really. Puts himself in harms way, I actually do hope they send him to Davey Jones Locker. Would be more than a fitting end to his particular brand of BullChit. [}:)]

Carry On...

Cheers,
Nog

Just to clarify, In brakets I stated Greenpeace "for example" just as a comparison. Mandates possibly similar, antics individual for sure.

HL

Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd are commonly confused...to the abhorrence of both!

I found a copy of Watson's autobiography last year, interesting read. He was a founding member of Greenpeace, more or less got kicked out when they refused to back up his non-peaceful anti-whaling actions. (reminds me of that song, "peace sells...but who's buying")

Since then, they are pretty much enemies...they don't see each other as different factions fighting the same war, but in opposition. They consider him an eco-terrorist. He considers them an ineffectual fund raising organization.

His reasoning for his actions are somewhat compelling: there is an international agreement to ban whaling, but there is no international navy to enforce. Every country turns a blind eye to whaling actions, so while there's a law against it, it is a free for all. So, his thinking is that these whalers are pirates, and he will take it upon himself to enforce this international whaling ban.

From there, lots of ethical and philosophical problems ... but an interesting premise. Agree or not, no question he's got cojones and incredible drive....pretty much dedicated his life to it, rightly or wrongly.

Fairly simple, if he wasn't there trying to stop the poaching..then who? Lots of lazy boy recliner critics in this world!!!

Like noggin said its not a bad cause to fight(although i dont think the hunted species is endangered) for but dont be *&^&ing morons. If you watch a few episodes it will have you pulling your hair out. Its the only show that angered me enough to actually send them an email.

They are all losers that get brainwashed by paul watson the lead dumb *&%$. He tries to get media attention by pulling stupid stunts and endagering others lives. I mean he even pretends he gets shot by the japanese even though its clear he set the thing up.What a joke.As nog said he is better off feeding prawns!

Yes they grandstand and pull off stunts intended to get international press...but it works!!! Sometimes I wonder when I attend meetings after meetings bringing up the same issues year after year with no progress that there has to be a better way. Embarrassing a government or a politician seems to get a quick response either way. I'm not advocating violence, but creative stunts to get widespread media attention and your message out there is fine by me.

I guess I am a little out of touch, but why is Watson a sleaze? Seriously, I know a bit about his environmental deal, and I have mixed feelings with regard to the violent approach, but where's the sleaze? And since when does being sleazy negate one's right to life? Becoming prawn food seems a like a rather harsh penalty for even the biggest sleaze. Anyway, I'd love to hear more about some of the sleazy dealings.

X2 profisher,
I too learned the hard way that beating your head against the wall at endless meetings just results in pain on both ends.
Might makes right and those with the gold rule. That's the way it's always been and the only way to effect change is to shut off the flow of the gold. That's what Gandhi did through non-violent civil disobedience in his Salt March to bring independence from the British to India and that's what Greenpeace and others did in their BC forest campaign.
I don't see this whaling issue getting resolved by bashing boats together unless Watson gets a boat bigger and tougher that the Japanese whalers. Watson should know by now that the whalers aren't backing down on the high seas so what did he expect when he sent out that ocean racer? In the "might makes right" game you gotta Go big or Go home.
Maybe he should advocate that the world stop buying Japanese products until the whaling stops. That's what those opposed to the seal hunt are doing. We shall see who effects the change they desire first.

It's a good thing no one got hurt.

BTW, both camera angles are now synced in one vid on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vVRcCas0o0&annotation_id=annotation_318076&feature=iv

pual said that his boat was going astern but in the video it going ahead. that how they work say anything that make the other look bad

I think they need to concentrate on getting as much video as possible of the whales being harpooned as anything else. That is what will disgust most of the people watching and the ones who will be vocal about it. A couple of ships colliding is interesting but it doesn't get the emotional juices going for those who get emotional about whales being killed.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

pual said that his boat was going astern but in the video it going ahead. that how they work say anything that make the other look bad
X2 there spring time.
There is a little silver Saturn and a newer blue suv that I see on a daily basis on the Sooke-ohalla.... god forbid I am in the fast lane or they would be polishing my rear bumper............Now, I could slam on the brakes and say they came outta nowhere and just rammed me..... but that would kinda be sleazy :D:D
and there wouldn't be the video

quote:Originally posted by spring time
I remembered on of his ships tied up in barkley sound in the late 90's
Yes and I remember what happened with that boat and so probably do some others here who live closer to Barkley Sound.

It was abandoned</u>, left for the Govt to clean up after it started leaking fluids.

Watson claimed he'd sold it to someone who conveniently could never be located.

That's just one instance of the kind of lying sleazebag behaviour Watson is notorious for.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Being a media ***** the right way with actual facts for a good cause is one thing. Making up BS to sucker and trick simple minded people into following your clan is not. Check out this video where he clearly staged being shot to gain media popularity.Nog put it best he is a "SLEAZEBALL, lying, cheating, CRIMINAL with all the morals of a half-dead slug" and he is better off prawn bait that carrying this on and risking lives. His crew is one brain celled hippies that want to be on TV and think they are actually doing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__VpnZO7ak&NR=1

The show is such a joke that even southpark makes fun of it. They even made a song about him. This is the only publicity he deserves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ0HdUUKKCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_BRbG-c8Mw

Back