Sea Runner 190 or 210?

Looking for some feedback on the Hewescraft 190 ET vs 210 ET to use primarily in the Cambell River area. I want to move up from a 1994 Campion 165 as the kids are bigger and I'm tired of getting wet from the constant NW's and SE's when the weather rolls in. I do run across the Straight from Powell River to Comox on occasion and fish the area with the family when seas are calm. Sometimes take off to Nootka and Bamfield, max 12 mile reef. A friend of mine has a 210 and it seems to fit the bill, however the 190's have the same beam and the LOA with the ET is just over 21'. Anyone have a comment on the room in the cockpit on the 190, too tight? or the ride in chop of one vs the other. Thinking of a 150 yam on either. Cheers

@ILHG knows the boat and the area well. I think he’s busy “Loving Haida Gwaii” at the moment if you don’t get an immediate response.

Much appreciated
I doubt your going to regret having the extra deck space. Very few folks look back and regret buying the extra couple feet (unless you have some sort of Moorage restriction or length restrictions). Fuel economy ain't going to change much. A 150 would be fine on the 21. When I poked around the 22 vs 24op 4 years back there wasn't enough difference in dollar to justify not going with the larger rendition.

I have been on both boats. I have a 21 foot aluminum duckworth, so similar. The fishing experience is great on both but more room on the 21. You'll find the ride quality a little better on the 21 but not as good as a 21' fiberglass, fiberglass ride will be much smoother in a head on chop. We installed suspension seats to fix the ride comfort issues. Aluminum boats are typically great in a following sea. I personally think the 21 should have 200hp. At 3500 rpm you can cruise around 30-35 mph so probably similar fuel burn to working that 150hp a little harder. I like the fish curtain vs Alaskan bulkhead. I'm thinking the 19 only comes with the fish curtain as an option. The 21 has the option of an Alaskan bulkhead which most people prefer. The 21 is also more available, I was in the market for these boats and kept seeing 21s for sale and rarely the 19s. Either way you're buying a boat that really holds its value so you buy a 19 and later want to upgrade to that 24. You'll barely take a hit. Good luck.

Used to have a 220 sea runner.Opted for a drop curtain instead of a bulkhead and didn’t regret it.The drop curtain allows you to have more open working space to play with .Problem with a bulkhead is that it basically splits the deck area in two.
It’ll boil down to personal preference if you have a choice and you”ll probably be better off with the bigger boat.

I have 2 kids that prefer to cruise up Desolation than fish with me, so it's typically just myself and occasionally 1 or two additional average size adults running lines. Not interested in the bulkhead, I agree, it separates the space too much and I like to open up the top sometimes. Used to fish from a buddy's DE 185 and found that 3 was almost too many people, felt cramped when you were hauling up gear. In addition, it's typically just myself handling the boat so I have concern that the 210 (23' overall) may be too much to handle at launch, don't know? Any thoughts on getting blown around, I realize that aluminum is lighter and that the 190 may be more susceptible due to weight?

Looking for some feedback on the Hewescraft 190 ET vs 210 ET to use primarily in the Cambell River area. I want to move up from a 1994 Campion 165 as the kids are bigger and I'm tired of getting wet from the constant NW's and SE's when the weather rolls in. I do run across the Straight from Powell River to Comox on occasion and fish the area with the family when seas are calm. Sometimes take off to Nootka and Bamfield, max 12 mile reef. A friend of mine has a 210 and it seems to fit the bill, however the 190's have the same beam and the LOA with the ET is just over 21'. Anyone have a comment on the room in the cockpit on the 190, too tight? or the ride in chop of one vs the other. Thinking of a 150 yam on either. Cheers
Go with a Kingfisher 2025HT

I have 2 kids that prefer to cruise up Desolation than fish with me, so it's typically just myself and occasionally 1 or two additional average size adults running lines. Not interested in the bulkhead, I agree, it separates the space too much and I like to open up the top sometimes. Used to fish from a buddy's DE 185 and found that 3 was almost too many people, felt cramped when you were hauling up gear. In addition, it's typically just myself handling the boat so I have concern that the 210 (23' overall) may be too much to handle at launch, don't know? Any thoughts on getting blown around, I realize that aluminum is lighter and that the 190 may be more susceptible due to weight?
I wouldn’t let the idea of solo launching be the deciding factor on boat choice.
In the beginning if you find it too stressy then there are always folks around more than welcome to give a helping hand.
Also,as they say, practice makes perfect.At the marina there are lots of guys who launch bigger boats than yours on their own.
Bottom line for me,(outside financial considerations) get the bigger boat or develop 2 footitis in a short period of time ( mind you, you’ll get that anyway,just later).

Did the 20’ aluminum boat search 5 years ago, I would say get the biggest dance floor you can that’s in your budget, you won’t regret it. It’ll slightly delay 2’itis.
all the manufacturers have there pros and cons and Hewes makes a nice product, but I wasn’t a fan of no reverse chine. Pretty much every fibreglass haul has one. Without it, you get a little more roll when you and a buddy are on the same side of the boat dealing with fish, traps, cannon balls etc.

I spent last summer fishing as far as 15 mile in bamfield in a 20' Duckworth Pac Nav sport, took it offshore at Nootka in years past. Was ok but definitely had to pick and choose the days before heading offshore. Fished 2 to 6 adults ranging from 165 to 280 lbs. Upgraded to a 24ft Pac Pro this year and I'll tell you the extra length and deck space make such a huge difference in handling and elbow space. If the extra 2 ft aren't a financial burden, do it. As well, make sure you don't skimp on power, that's almost more important. Biggest motor your boat can handle, that's for when you go offshore and the weather goes awry. Far as launching, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

I spent last summer fishing as far as 15 mile in bamfield in a 20' Duckworth Pac Nav sport, took it offshore at Nootka in years past. Was ok but definitely had to pick and choose the days before heading offshore. Fished 2 to 6 adults ranging from 165 to 280 lbs. Upgraded to a 24ft Pac Pro this year and I'll tell you the extra length and deck space make such a huge difference in handling and elbow space. If the extra 2 ft aren't a financial burden, do it. As well, make sure you don't skimp on power, that's almost more important. Biggest motor your boat can handle, that's for when you go offshore and the weather goes awry. Far as launching, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
Couldn’t agree more, was looking at all the 20’ers , my buddy had the kingfisher at the time, I knew I wanted to do Nootka, Tofino, Renfrew, winter harbour etc, put in lots of hours on a 18.6’ raider too, ended up getting the Weldcraft Maverick 22’ which was at the upper end of the budget, but sure glad I did, like you mentioned, the few extra feet and wider beam really help with the whole family on board. That said, 5 years later I’m looking at boats again, wanting something bigger, that has better sleeping arrangements lol

352448446_24926713200275708_3787906016674706038_n.jpg

I've got the 210 Sea Runner ETHT 2021 model year. Never been on the water in a 190 ET so I can't compare the ride. The most I've had onboard was 4 adults and 1 youth and the cabin space was fine. With the 200 Yamaha so easy to get on plane and the ride was fine for the load. Trim tabs are a must and helped level things out where needed. I use them all the time when it's choppy. I believe the LOA is 23'8" if that matters. I liked that with the Hewes the ET is part of the hull and not just a pod. We decided to go with the bulkhead vs the drop curtain because of the rear steering station (have the 9.9 Ht kicker) and the added security being able to lock everything up. I can't recall the fuel tank capacity on the 190 ( might be 60gal) but the 210 comes with a 90gallon tank which is huge for range and I think that is also higher than some of the competitors in the same class. Overall we are super happy with the boat and so far has done everything we wanted it for. I've launched once solo and it was a piece of cake. Hope that helps.

Back