Screw holes in fiberglass

Highliner

Hey gents,

I've got a small fiberglass tender which has wood planks for seats. I noticed that a couple the boards are a bit lose. Is there an easy fix to tighten up those screws? I was thinking I could just fill the holes with something to hold the screws more securely.

What should I use?

This is not a prize possession, so I'm just looking for an easy quick fix.

Thanks,

That's a good idea.

Nuts and bolts won't work as I can't access the back side. They go right into the fiberglass.

Thanks guys.

If screws must be used, I would strongly suggest buying a 1 liter fiberglass repair kit. (walmart etc for about 20 bucks last time I bought one) and glass the seat to the hull with screws to hold in place till set and a llittle extra strength in the long run. A quick google search will familiarize you with the process if you've never glassed before.

You can't bolt right through glass? They have stainless grommets that dress up a stainless bolt with the tapered head to look like an original fastener. Drill the hole through the hull, the head of the bolt would be on the outside and the washer/nut on the inside.

Do a bit of grinding, then drill out the hole bigger, put some resin on a long enough wood plug and tap it in, patch over it with a small disc of resined fiberglass mat, let it cure, drill into the wood plug, put some sikaflex on your stainless screws, screw the seat back down.

This idea is mostly stolen from Wolf.

Keeping the repair simple, bigger screws.

Even simpler, remove screws, cut a couple pieces of bare copper wire, 14 gauge or whatever you have handy, roughly the depth of the hole, insert into hole and refasten the seat.
Screw when being inserted will press against the wire, wedging itself into the hole. Makes a secure connection.
Use copper, not galvanized or steel wire. The softer copper works better.

Alternative, drill a bigger hole, install well nuts and bolt seat down: http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionC/C147.pdf
But 2-4.00 each, depending on size, at Home Hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you remove the screws and lift off the board? If so then get yourself a small tube of 3M 5200. Remove the board and spread a generous amount of 3M 5200 on the underside of the seat where there is a fiberglass surface for it to adhere to. Then place the seat back in place and fill the screw holes with the 5200. Replace the screws with a slightly larger diameter of screw and wipe off any excess sealant quickly.

3M 5200 is extremely strong, water proof and durable. It's also much easier to work with compared to the toxic chemicals required with the Polyester fiberglass repair kits.

If you insist on using fiberglass for the repair (not required in this case IMO) then get an epoxy fiberglass repair kit.

Edit: Just to add to this, either a 5200 or fiberglass repair will make a permanent join. You won't be able to remove the seats without cutting them out. If you want to be able to remove the seat in the future then use 3M 4200. Forget about using regular silicone sealant; it's not worth a dime on boat repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy moly guys, all great ideas, and all will work well, i just thought he wanted a quick and easy fix,lol....holmes*

Holy moly is right. Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I think I'll keep it simple a use some bigger screws with some 3M sealent.

Cheers.

Back