Scotty problem

scott craven

I have a problem with my Scotty 1105 dropping back down when the bead hits the shutoff. i tried adjusting the 3/8 lock nut but the crank handle won't seat properly.
question: can i stack a couple more 3/8"flat washers on the shaft to bring up the height so the crank handle secures properly ?

I had the same problem with both of my riggers. I took them into Tyee Marine and had them fixed up for free. Turned out there is a spring that assists the brake returning it in to a sold locked position with a release point of 20 lbs for emergency releasing. Springs replaced, riggers work great once again. No more slide after the auto stop triggers.

Sounds like time to take them in for some maintenance. If you live in Victoria area you can drop trhem off at the Scotty factory in Sydney and they will repair/maintenance it for free under their lifetime warranty. They give great service IMHO.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Bill from outfitter's fixed me up with new brakes and spring kits.
dropped em off at 12:30 and picked them up at 2:30...
now that's good service ! :D

We have the same problem at our lodge all the time. Obviously sending it in works but if you don't have the time, you can just scratch up the breaks. Basically, once used for a while they get too smooth and sticky, sort of like drag washers in a reel. Just start taking things off the downrigger until you see the rectangular pads, take them out, then scratch them up really good - that will reduce the static friction that causes sticking. If I remember right, I usually end up doing this about once, maybe twice a season at the lodge. Works pretty good.

From this I also found out that scratching the drag washers in addition to re-greasing makes your reel very smooth and stay smooth longer. That was a revelation for me, maybe not for others though.

quote:Originally posted by Captain Dudds

We have the same problem at our lodge all the time. Obviously sending it in works but if you don't have the time, you can just scratch up the breaks. Basically, once used for a while they get too smooth and sticky, sort of like drag washers in a reel. Just start taking things off the downrigger until you see the rectangular pads, take them out, then scratch them up really good - that will reduce the static friction that causes sticking. If I remember right, I usually end up doing this about once, maybe twice a season at the lodge. Works pretty good.

From this I also found out that scratching the drag washers in addition to re-greasing makes your reel very smooth and stay smooth longer. That was a revelation for me, maybe not for others though.

x2 I do this with mine as well, you can even flip the wear plate and the brake pads over to have new surfaces.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Got into quite an unpleasant encounter with Scotty about the said downrigger. They have supplied new handles with the adapted return spring. It does help but has to be replaced with regularity. Usually do mine spring and halfway through season. Keeping your downrigger dry does help I have found. Try a clear shower cap over your rigger, and do not spray high pressure hose water directly into the underside when rinsing or cleaning. Hope this helps a bit.
New handle and spring are free if you go to your dealer. If you want to change them yourself be sure to take the spring back to the dealer for exchange.
With the clear shower cap you can still read counter depth.
The spring will weaken and does need to be replaced.

Back