Scotty Downrigger Switch

jimbob

The switch on one fo my downriggers is not working properly. Sometimes the downrigger will start pulling up the weight even though I have not acitvated the switch. Ohter times when I acitvate it, It won't shut off either manually or with the bead stoppers. The only way to get it to stop is to pull the plug. Needless to say this is frustrating. I took the unit into Scotty a couple of days and got it back from them and was told that it was fixed. Humbug. I plugged it in and went fishing on Sunday. The very first time I activated the switch I could not get it to stop unless I pulled the plug. So much for Scotty's efforts to fix it. Also the unit continues to activate on its own accord without me touching the switch.

I thought that the problem might lie with my plug in on that side of the boat so I switched my downriggers from one side to the other. The "good" one worked on both sides. The screwed up one doesn't work properly on either side.

Any suggestions other than to go back to Scotty and complain again?

Sounds like the Switch has to be faulty- you have proven its not a boat power or plug issue. I suspect they thought they fixed it. I am surprised they didn't replace the switch the first time.
Where do you live? - I take mine to a Scotty warranty repair depot and they fix problems on the spot while I wait.

Yep...lol....Replace the switch for sure. It must be tracking across the switch just enough sometimes to pass power and activate on its own. It obviously doesn't drop out when it's supposed to or again just tracks enough to hold the switch in and not allowing it to shut off. I agrre with Peahead in that I'm surprised they didn't just replace the switch? It's a cheap part and they NEVER get better once they start acting up just worse.......lol

Had the same problem on one of my riggers with braid. The thinner braid was able to get in behind the flap in the switch essentially jamming it. Took ball off got braid on right side and good to go.

Problem fixed. I went back to Scotty today. Saw a different tech. This time Eric did the labour and it now works like a charm. Thanks Eric!!

Eric is good $htt. Known him for years. Should have hit him up for a tee shirt! His old man owns the joint. He'll make it right.

Problem fixed. I went back to Scotty today. Saw a different tech. This time Eric did the labour and it now works like a charm. Thanks Eric!!

Glad to hear you got it fixed. What was the problem, did they tell you?

I had exactly the same problem. I replaced the switch. That fixed the phantom starts and no shut off issue. Now a month later it's started again. I can't see 2 switches going bad in that short a time.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. What was the problem, did they tell you?

I had exactly the same problem. I replaced the switch. That fixed the phantom starts and no shut off issue. Now a month later it's started again. I can't see 2 switches going bad in that short a time.

I wouldn't totally count it out there BigGuy. I know in my line on work it happens a lot and on more expensive items than their switches. It can be a bad lot or even a new supplier made in Timbuctu for $0.003 cheaper.....Although if it happened that quickly it wouldn't hurt to have a real good look at what caused the faulty switch......moisture....wiring issue.......mounting of the switch or load on the switch itself?....etc........just my two cents.........good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow **** me off, now the riggers really cacked. After reading this post again yesterday I went to check on the rigger that had started acting up AGAIN. I turned my battery on, plugged in the rigger cord and proceeded to check the switch out. Nothing was caught behind the switch mechanism, and it seemed to be working normally.

Well, I got busy doing other stuff and forgot about the riggers. Fast forward to the morning. I go out to my boat and i can hear a whirring noise. WTF, I forgot to kill the power to the riggers. The switch had self engaged its self again. I don't know how long it was running for. The spindle on top of the motor had worn off all its plastic teeth that engage in the drive belt. The belt had worn down in the place it engaged the gears as well.

Now I've got a bunch of new problems to have fixed. So word to the wise always unplug your riggers. Good thing it didn't burn out the motor, because there's no warranty on that. This time it will be going back to Scotty for repairs.

I live on the mainland so I can't just swing by the Scotty factory and drop it off like you guys on the Island. Luckily I have a spare old double belter that I bought ages ago. Guess I'll be using the old one till the "new improved" model is repaired. Funny thing is the old ones never gave me problems. The new ones also cost over twice what I paid for my original ones. That's what they call progess I suppose?

I've used the same 2 belters for 20 years chartering. I get them serviced every winter......... i'm never changing - unless they stop making parts for them.

I also still use wire....... it still works too. See what happens when you get old? you get sentimental, lol

Anyone got any tips on how to replace said switches? No ones taking them in to do them at the moment. Any videos out there on how to?

thanks.

Anyone got any tips on how to replace said switches? No ones taking them in to do them at the moment. Any videos out there on how to?

thanks.
They are easy to change. 2 screws holding it onto the casing. I just cut the wires, remove the switch and make sure the wires are on the right polarity

Had same problem, didn’t have the power shut off to the riggers, heard weird sound coming from boat shed when I went by. One downrigger was shutting on and off randomly on its own. Could have fried an egg on the motor it was so hot. I assumed it was the switch but it was the relay.Guys at Tyee told me it’s a fairly common problem. I was going to replace my self so bought some extras as spares. I think they were only $5 each.

Back