Scotty gunnell mount fracture

ab1752

Crew Member
Hey if anyone else is running scotty gunnell mounts have a close look here. Both of mine have failed in the past week in the same spot. Pita when theres only one available in Sechelt but I can rotate the boom for now.

Cheers

20200719_202351.jpg

Hey if anyone else is running scotty gunnell mounts have a close look here. Both of mine have failed in the past week in the same spot. Pita when theres only one available in Sechelt but I can rotate the boom for now.

Cheers

View attachment 55125
Mine didn’t crack but I put bolts down through the top of the gunnel and it made it very solid but not as easy to remove

It's the twisting force that causes the crack. My buddy was able to find one in the city and bring it over so I'm going to swap it out and hit it again tomorrow for further humiliation haha.

I haven't checked with scotty to see I'd these have any warranty, I'm guessing only a year. The issue is how the base is offset to the gunnell so I'm going to see what I can come up with to fill that gap and reduce the twist force. Or move the boat down the line for something new haha

It's the twisting force that causes the crack. My buddy was able to find one in the city and bring it over so I'm going to swap it out and hit it again tomorrow for further humiliation haha.

I haven't checked with scotty to see I'd these have any warranty, I'm guessing only a year. The issue is how the base is offset to the gunnell so I'm going to see what I can come up with to fill that gap and reduce the twist force. Or move the boat down the line for something new haha

damn, good to know.. i'll be running 90 gunnel mounts on the Hourston - always wondered about the twisting strain put on the vertical section, especially with 18# balls come winter and/or when pulling prawn traps

i reckon Scotty would send you a replacement for free if you explain the situation, warranty or not - they're super accommodating for stuff like that

the Hourston setup sounds just like yours - base isn't flush with the gunnel. i just cut some ~1/4" thick x 6" by 2.5-3" wood plates, and cut out felt furniture padding (felt one side, adhesive on the other), and slide it under the horizontal mount plate and gunnel to get'r flush. there's enough downward pressure that it really shouldn't budge. felt side down to protect the glass!

Attachments

• gunnel_shim.JPG
    gunnel_shim.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 49

Cheers

View attachment 55125
so you running 15lbers or 18's but either will fail over time if your only mounting at 90* get some brackets fabbed up so you can solid mount people also have probs with gimbal mounting riggers and wonder why the pin lets go when snagging bottom ....

I have had no problems with mine but, I also drilled and put bolts through the top of the gunnels with aluminum plates for backing. Been solid using 15lb balls

Never had that happen. That is from torsion. When I had on my old boat I used a small block of uhmw to counter the weight at gunnel.

If you dont have this done all your torsion will go to those mounting pads inside boat. The entire mounting pad should have support under it.

It is for sure from torsion no doubt. The mounting pad is reinforced behind the gunnell no worries. I'm gonna figure something out when I'm back in town next week . Cheers

get a bracket fabbed up that sits and follows the contour of the gunnells could still mount on the side but be better if you could have one or two on the top as well know its a pain to drill a hole or you could 4200 it and still side bolt where you have your fixings now

get a bracket fabbed up that sits and follows the contour of the gunnells could still mount on the side but be better if you could have one or two on the top as well know its a pain to drill a hole or you could 4200 it and still side bolt where you have your fixings now

I have a DE 166, I made a stainless steel reinforcement out of 1/16 sheet metal bent into a "U" shape. It fits between the Scotty swivel and the side mount. A 3/4 inch plastic "snubber " fits on the end of the SS reinforcement. I have a V notch cut into the plastic snubber where it contacts the gunnel to prevent the mount from twisting. See the PDF

Attachments

• 966.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
spot on good one eagle

Back