Scotty Downrigger Security

gungadin

Lately there has been a rash of downrigger thefts here in Campbell River, apparently they are being stolen to pay for drugs, or taken over to the mainland and sold. I have both the Scotty security locks on my riggers, but they appear to be nothing but an inconvenience to the thief, as evident by the method of removal ( remove the three other fasteners and just break the swivel base ) For a start I would like to replace the factory fasteners with some tamper-proof bolts. In this regard I have searched CR today to no avail. Does anyone have a lead on where I can get them. One of the problems is that I only need 6. I would get a few more if necessary, but not a hundred. Thanks.

Install stainless fasteners, strip the heads and weld the nut for a permanent mount.
Remove 'riggers whenever you park or leave your rig. Bit of a hassle but worth it.

The only way your downriggers are going to be secure is to take them home. It sucks, but with the rash of thefts at marinas and out of yards lately, take home everything you can. It takes longer to setup and packup but beats loosing your gear.

Lately there has been a rash of downrigger thefts here in Campbell River, apparently they are being stolen to pay for drugs, or taken over to the mainland and sold. I have both the Scotty security locks on my riggers, but they appear to be nothing but an inconvenience to the thief, as evident by the method of removal ( remove the three other fasteners and just break the swivel base ) For a start I would like to replace the factory fasteners with some tamper-proof bolts. In this regard I have searched CR today to no avail. Does anyone have a lead on where I can get them. One of the problems is that I only need 6. I would get a few more if necessary, but not a hundred. Thanks.

Recent thread with some good ideas: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...Scotty-Downriggers&highlight=downrigger+locks

Gungadin,
I replace 1 of the 4 hand tightening mounting bolts with SS tamper proof bolts I found at Tacoma Screw, with several stores in the greater Seattle area. PM me with your email and I can try to take a photo for you. I used to worry about theft, but feel real good with these units locking the Scotty on the boat. good luck. DAJ

Back