Scotty downrigger help

Scavenger

My wife and son are having trouble getting the rod out of the supplied rodmaster rod holder on our 1106s. The rod holder is to far out and to high. The rigger has a cut out for the cannon ball hook, back about 5 inches. I was thinking about replacing the rodmaster with the rocket launcher style and moving it back to the hook spot. Any help would be appreciated, im sure someone else has had this issue. Thinking about the Orca aswell any thoughts.

Some people don't like reaching out of the boat to grab the rod. it is an unnatural ad uncomfortable position to put your top centre of gravity over the edge and then pull even more outward to pull the rod. Some people love it, as all the rods etc are out of the way of the gunwhales giving you more room to move, and not get caught up on the rod butt. Try leaving the rod in the rod master andreeling the rod in HARD and FAST when a fish strikes, or when you need to check your gear.its easy to pull out of the holder then. I've been doing that for a while now with great hook up success. but i digress...
I boom mounted my Orcas for years. i had a couple of incidents where rods came flying out of this type of holder. lots of back and forth on this forum about this. If you buy orcas, flip the rod holder upside down on the port rod side. this way it "cams" shut on itself, and this will decrease that type of incident.
I finally had enough of that and mounted scotty strikers back on my gunwhale. i have a centre console and the rod butt now sticks into the boat a bit but this is a small sacrifice. Now my creeping islander reel is closer to me to reel the tip down tight....:(

if go with the std dual rod holder it brings in the rod lower and closer also lets you stack quite easy as well
if you go with the boom or extended arm brackets it all gets sloppy and flimsy ....
one of the most bullet proof set up was on a friends boat.
you either need to fab it or have it made
but he used the striker rod holder and a fabbed alloy bracket base ...
here you go found it

you can do the same thing with the 2 x 247 dual rod holders
4x 344 flush deck mount
4x 254 height extenders
4 x 239 striker rod holders

there is lots you can do with scotty stuff now check there website or catalogue
i run the std dual 247's on all 3 riggers

index.php

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg

Last edited:
For times like that, I like to drop the downrigger to release the clip while others here will say bring it up 5-10' (still need to release from the clip though).

Once it's released from the clip you should have no trouble getting it out of the boom mounted holder.

Another thing that I find helps is using braided line with a mini leader in the clip, no stretch line pops out easier as well especially if you are fishing deep.

I also have found that generally the more vertical the rod holder, the easier to get the rod out because there is less extension.

I like the scotty add ons, I'm sure someone has resolved this problem without a machine shop. Thanks for the replies. I have a shoulder injury that's going to last the summer or I would just set and hand off. I'm sure moving the rod holder towards the base is the answer. I like the fabrications but don't have the tools or time

For exactly the same reason you describe I switched to the Orcas some years ago when my boys were small kids. Worked awesome and we got so used to them that we never switched back even though my boys now have a huge wingspan! Never had a close call with them but I did flip the one side upside down as explained above.

I use the Orcas and they are the best and quickest for getting the rod out of a holder and into your hands. The new ones don't open up on their own. I've had the new ones going into the 2nd season.

I use Folbes, which are like the Orcas. They are boom mounted, but with an extension tilted back so the rod is placed over the downrigger motor area. The rod is lifted straight up, instead of forward and out.

I use the Orcas and they are the best and quickest for getting the rod out of a holder and into your hands. The new ones don't open up on their own. I've had the new ones going into the 2nd season.
Is everybody flipping the one side over? Mine seem to work fine as is.

IMG_2273.JPG I have a smaller boat and I struggle with reaching out to get the rod so I got rocket launchers and flipped them inboard

Attachments

• IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 95
One of my electric riggers is acting up. Put it down to depth and it automatically trips and brings it right back up. Blows right through the stoppers too. Anyone else ever have this problem? Quite sure the issue is in the switch and is tripping it into auto, but would love some other input.

Cheers

One of my electric riggers is acting up. Put it down to depth and it automatically trips and brings it right back up. Blows right through the stoppers too. Anyone else ever have this problem? Quite sure the issue is in the switch and is tripping it into auto, but would love some other input.

Cheers
Time for a new switch, same thing happened t me sockeye fishing a few years ago

Back