Scotty downrigger 1106 or 2106

So I'm going to buy a pair of electric downriggers now I don't know which model or if I should get wire or Braid ... Thanks LOL
Only have 2 balls 1 spare if I lose one

Get two 1106’s with braid and the new Scotty Sure Stops. Anything other than that is wrong and you won’t catch fish :D. I haven’t lost a ball yet.

My new to me boat was coming with a pair of 1106B but one had a mishap so I'm only getting one. I might get a 2106B for the other side, then I can see which I like. Will I need heavier wiring to the socket ?

Your wire length to the battery is the key factor on wire sizing , going with a larger 10 gauge wire and a 30A fuse would be the best .
2106 is rated to 19A at full load the 1106 is 8A so I would use 10 gauge wire .

Last edited:
Your wire length to the battery is the key factor on wire sizing , going with a larger 10 gauge wire and a 30A fuse would be the best .
2106 is rated to 19A at full load the 1106 is 8A so I would use 10 gauge wire .

Thanks Mike. The wire looks like 14ga or maybe 12 to the one side and isnt wired to a socket yet and I think one was wired direct to the battery at some point. I was thinking of replacing it anyway with a couple of short runs of 10ga and putting sockets in for easy R&R of the riggers. Maybe I will pick up a 2106B and verify installation instructions first but 10ga will be much better.

Thanks Mike. The wire looks like 14ga or maybe 12 to the one side and isnt wired to a socket yet and I think one was wired direct to the battery at some point. I was thinking of replacing it anyway with a couple of short runs of 10ga and putting sockets in for easy R&R of the riggers. Maybe I will pick up a 2106B and verify installation instructions first but 10ga will be much better.

We have each rigger wired direct to the battery. Don't forget to install a fuse holder or circuit breaker at the battery. Currently we use 30 amp blade fuses in sealed fuse holders with a little dielectric grease but are thinking of going to circuit breakers. If you use the large heavy commercial crab traps and they come up loaded with a lot of crab you will need the 30 amp fuses for your pot puller which have the same Scotty plugs. We have on occasion blown a fuse with a very heavy load of crab, even with 30 amp fuses.
Some wire them in without being fused but that is a mistake. Once saw a rigger mounted quickly and the power cord pinched under the corner of the mount without being noticed. The rocking of the weight on the extended boom cut through the cord and shorted the power cord. A lot of smoke and melted plastic before the circuit could be cut to save the glass boat from catching fire and burning to the water line.

Last edited:
Yes never wire directly to the battery a recipe for a disaster at sea !!! I recommend what rockfish said use a 30 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire you should be good to go...

I use wire on all my riggers I buy it online or at Trotac,I won't use scotty wire I buy 7 strand wire it was recommended from my freind Malcom Russel,if you know that name then you might have your boat set up like mine.He a voltage electrolysis expert !!!! In the commercial boat circle they call him the doctor.His father invented the black box,Malcom has made a better model for scotty with a pulse mode so it can drag the current of the boat down to .200 and releases it it climbs back up slowly to .800 or if your boats really hot then .900 of one volt.

If you go to my name and do a search I think I made a post about the whole system its pretty unreal set up and does make a difference !!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Back