Scent on lures/flashers ... valuable or marketing

I, like most people use scent too. Regardless of whether or not they work for the fish, they work for me. :) Basically, the most important thing in fishing is, does it sell? If the answer is "yes", then people will use it.

Granted, I know it's not the most important factor, but scent is a HUGE thing in the animal kingdom. It's the one thing that triggers such a sharp memory response when we walk by a bakery or smell a dish your grandmom/dad/mom would make. It's a primal response. I mean, before you can even pin point what the smell is, your mind automatically jumps to "Damn! That smells good/bad".

The way I see it, if an intellectually advanced species like us has that kind of a response, think of how much stronger the response is for a species of animal who migrates thousands of miles to spawn at their hatching river after spending years in the ocean using - what we humans understand - is mainly their sense of smell....

Just saying.

Been using the pro guide formula smelly jelly herring scent for several years. First year along side my fishing partner who did not use it and I quickly converted him to a scent user, don't need to smear it on everything just a small amount on the tip of your finger smeared on the back side of spoon, belly of plug or hootchie.

Nog, what type of scent do you use? ...

X-10 Only one we have found to be consistent.

Would you put it on the flasher (moving around more and spreads the scent) or on the spoon?

On Flashers (eats hoochies) and spoons.

IronNoggin - I have been a commercial & come from a VERY long line of commercials - no insult intended just a bit of humor. In Cordova AK there are sportie boats that get vandalized by commies and bumper stickers that say "I'd rather my daughter be a ***** than my son a fishing guide".

Roger. I may be a tad sensitive these days. Read that wrong I guess. And love the bumper sticker btw... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I heard an interesting theory on using scent that may have some merit. Saw a presentation at the Vancouver boat show last year buy one of the local guides and he addressed scent. He claims that scent doesn't necessarily attract fish but it masks human scent. According to him, some people have a very strong scent that gets transferred to the lure and will repel fish. Other people will have no noticeable (to the fish) scent.

He claimed that this theory had been proven by watching how salmon in a tank react to different individuals putting their hand into the tank. With some people, the salmon don't react. With others, they will scatter to the opposite end of the tank.

Based upon how my wife tells me that I smell after a long fishing trip, their may be something to this theory.
:D:D

X-10 Only one we have found to be consistent.

On Flashers (eats hoochies) and spoons.

Roger. I may be a tad sensitive these days. Read that wrong I guess. And love the bumper sticker btw... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

X 2 on the X-10.

That stuff is consistent. I have run enough lines to know. The other ones are bullcrap and totally inconclusive with results.

Did a little surfing on the net and got pretty much zero response on the X-10. Is this product still available??

Thanks WWolfe, Thinking that it might be a local product. I'm based on the mainland but fish out of Pender Island,which hasn't been very productive for chinooks
last year and this. No feed , no fish it seems. Had to run into the Gulf and the brown crud to get some action.

Be careful to keep it away from your release clips.once it's on the pads you're in for trouble.

You can buy new ones for pennies

1190.jpg

Did a little surfing on the net and got pretty much zero response on the X-10. Is this product still available??

When I was a wee lad about 20 years ago, I bought a bottle of that stuff in Nanaimo at the little tackle shop by the Brechin boat launch, and it rattled around in my tackle box for nearly a decade. Ended up tossing it before I got into ocean fishing again so I don't have much experience with it other than the fact that every piece of tackle I had smelled faintly of it. I just found this stuff called Mike's Lunker Lotion in herring flavour (blue bottle) at crappy tire, and it smells pretty damn close from what I can remember. I picked some up today and will report back on results.

Back