Scent on lures/flashers ... valuable or marketing

anorthernhunter

I posted a thread a while ago about lights on hali lures that got some good discussion going and I learnt a lot from it.

I got to thinking ... I have fished for salmon for 30 + years ... in Campbell River and Haida Gwaii and tried scent (smelly jelly and herring jelly) with no noticeable positive results versus the same lures without.

Any thoughts on the use of scent?

I suspect that if the commercial guys don't use it then it's not very useful.

Thoughts??

-Northern

I like it & just about always use it. It is a pain though as it gets all other everything. Disaster if it gets on the release clip. Probably too much mucking around for the commies who would probably rather die than do something invented by the sporties.

Personally I find it way too smelly and messy. Also haven't noticed a difference. Mike Mitchell and the other fishing guys seem to like it though.

Not necessary and gums the **** out of everything it touches. Save it for the bottom critters.

Mike Mitchell like the sponsorship it brings.

I think scent is a major part of how fish find their food. While it might not be the primary sense fish use, they have very sensitive olfactory glands. I figure scenting a lure might make the difference between the decision to attack the potential food (i.e. lure) or not. I use it when fishing slows down, and I use it almost all the time on hootchies. I use it on all my hali rigs too.

... Probably too much mucking around for the commies who would probably rather die than do something invented by the sporties.

Nice. :(

Probably 90+ % of the gear & techniques you fish with were developed by commercial fishermen.
And in many areas, they continue to be the leading edge in gear / technique development.

I happen to be one of those you just insulted.
Many of the terminals I've created over the years have found their way to use in the recreational fleet.
And I am not alone in the constant experimenting that goes on, always seeking to come up with something that works a little better.

Methinks you might want to think a little before you post such drivel, and plant your other foot firmly in your obviously generous sized yap.

As for scents, yeah, we carry it. And sometimes we even use it.
Wasn't developed by the sport fleet however.

Cheers,
Nog

Nog, curious ... when do you as a commercial fisherman decide to use it and when not? Is it just a "fishing is slow so I will try it" sort of decision or is there any strategy to the scent use?

Nog, curious ... when do you as a commercial fisherman decide to use it and when not? Is it just a "fishing is slow so I will try it" sort of decision or is there any strategy to the scent use?

That's pretty well it. Between bites or generally slow we'll fiddle with it some to see if it makes a difference. It has enough times that we still carry it.

And of course on the rare occasion we target on sockeye it is always in use. Those ones seem to love it.

Cheers,
Nog

I don't jig without it (for salmon). What I really find with scent is that if you get a hit that doesn't stick you have a better chance of a follow up strike and I believe that is do to the scent. These are my two favourites. Keep a rag handy to clean the gear after and I don't GOOP it on either. If you fish butterfly jigs don't put the scent on the keel (underside) or if you do keep it very thin as it'll get the lure out of balance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 122
That's pretty well it. Between bites or generally slow we'll fiddle with it some to see if it makes a difference. It has enough times that we still carry it.

And of course on the rare occasion we target on sockeye it is always in use. Those ones seem to love it.

Cheers,
Nog
Nog, what type of scent do you use? That Smelly Jelly that I use lasts forever...

Ive tryed most scents out there and I've been using a certain type for salmon for the last two years with awesome results.. in my opinion 90% of the scents sold dont make a difference or flat out dont get hit. You gotta try em out find what works best for you. Scent is not the magical solution to slaying fish but if you've dialed in everything else and want even more of a edge experiment. I find the trick is to never over do it just a little bit to your spoon or hootchie. I never use it with bait and never put it on my flasher or rigger ball. Also I dont usually use scent on every rod I have in the water. My 2cents

I like the blue pro guide smelly jelly, "I put that **** on everything"
and when its slow I put some on my buddies release clips just to liven things up a bito_O

IronNoggin - I have been a commercial & come from a VERY long line of commercials - no insult intended just a bit of humor. In Cordova AK there are sportie boats that get vandalized by commies and bumper stickers that say "I'd rather my daughter be a ***** than my son a fishing guide". I sure have taken my share from commies, so I can take & give with no ill.

I don't jig without it (for salmon). What I really find with scent is that if you get a hit that doesn't stick you have a better chance of a follow up strike and I believe that is do to the scent. These are my two favourites. Keep a rag handy to clean the gear after and I don't GOOP it on either. If you fish butterfly jigs don't put the scent on the keel (underside) or if you do keep it very thin as it'll get the lure out of balance.

You and you're obsession with Butterfly jigs! Lol

I think this summer may just convert me :D

Back