SCAM, boat registration / licence

sames14

Not sure if this has been brought up before or not.
Be aware of a company called National Vessel Registry Center Corp also known as Canadian Vessel Registry. It purposely and is intended to look like a government website but basicaly is a scam where they want to register your boat for you. You do everything that you have to do when registering through Transport Canada but they charge you $135.00 before you complete all the paperwork. $135 that is non refundable.
Dont mix up Transport Canada, Application for Pleasure Craft Licence that cost nothing and takes no time at all and you get your licence number immediatley when it is a transfer.

Be aware of a company called National Vessel Registry Center Corp also known as Canadian Vessel Registry. It purposely and is intended to look like a government website but basicaly is a scam where they want to register your boat for you. You do everything that you have to do when registering through Transport Canada but they charge you $135.00 before you complete all the paperwork. $135 that is non refundable.
Dont mix up Transport Canada, Application for Pleasure Craft Licence that cost nothing and takes no time at all and you get your licence number immediatley when it is a transfer.
I agree! I used them thinking it was transport canada. They charged me $425.00 and provided no service whatsoever. I have now requested a refund but they say they have a policy of not issuing refunds.....

These guys are scam masters of the highest order.

What tipped me off was the fact that you had to submit three vessel names and they would pick one for you. I called Transport Canada and got the lowdown on these guys and that Transport Canada has a free name lookup.

Spend 10 minutes and write to your MP, copy the PM, and the leaders of the other two parties. It is free to mail them and letters get attention before emails.

Tell your MP and the others that you want your money back and that the Government has a right to protect Canadians from organizations pretending to be the Federal Government. Be concerned about what they have done with your personal information and CC Canada's Privacy Commissioner.

Call the CBC's Marketplace. They love exposing crap like this.

Note the disclaimer

© 2021 National Vessel Registry Center, Corp. | All Rights Reserved. National Vessel Registry Center, Corp. is NOT Transport Canada; we are a third party agency that handles Canadian Vessel Registration processing to Transport Canada.

Website

Now the irony, their website is better and easier to look things up than Transport Canada 's

What tipped me off was the fact that you had to submit three vessel names and they would pick one for you. I called Transport Canada and got the lowdown on these guys and that Transport Canada has a free name lookup.

Spend 10 minutes and write to your MP, copy the PM, and the leaders of the other two parties. It is free to mail them and letters get attention before emails.

Tell your MP and the others that you want your money back and that the Government has a right to protect Canadians from organizations pretending to be the Federal Government. Be concerned about what they have done with your personal information and CC Canada's Privacy Commissioner.

Call the CBC's Marketplace. They love exposing crap like this.
Were you able to get any of your money back from them?

Note the disclaimer

© 2021 National Vessel Registry Center, Corp. | All Rights Reserved. National Vessel Registry Center, Corp. is NOT Transport Canada; we are a third party agency that handles Canadian Vessel Registration processing to Transport Canada.

Website

Now the irony, their website is better and easier to look things up than Transport Canada 's

In order to see their disclaimer you need to scroll down past the service options. Most people would select the service they were seeking before scrolling all the way down to the disclaimer.

Well that explains why I haven’t heard from them. I guess they took me for $220. The website looks and sounds legit.

You have to wonder if the confusion between registering and licensing a boat contributes to this. Don’t know how often people confuse the two, and for good reason. Guess we are all used to the automobile system.

Well that explains why I haven’t heard from them. I guess they took me for $220. The website looks and sounds legit.

So after writing this, I went digging through my old emails and found the person I was in contact with regarding licensing in June (Alex) . I phoned looking for Alex, but of course he wasn’t available. I gave the guy on the phone what for, they wouldn’t forward me along to anyone that could provide any sort of answer. Instead I was directed to contact them by email. So I wrote a quick email saying that I have received nothing from them since June and to please refund my money. Within 30 mins they replied to my email with a license for my boat dated July 28/21. So it appears that I have what I need. Hopefully the license is the real deal. ‍♂️

So after writing this, I went digging through my old emails and found the person I was in contact with regarding licensing in June (Alex) . I phoned looking for Alex, but of course he wasn’t available. I gave the guy on the phone what for, they wouldn’t forward me along to anyone that could provide any sort of answer. Instead I was directed to contact them by email. So I wrote a quick email saying that I have received nothing from them since June and to please refund my money. Within 30 mins they replied to my email with a license for my boat dated July 28/21. So it appears that I have what I need. Hopefully the license is the real deal. ‍♂️
I just reached out to Market Place at the CBC, I would encourage anyone who has had negative experiences with this company to do the same. If there is enough people reaching out, it could be something that they pick up.

I just reached out to Market Place at the CBC, I would encourage anyone who has had negative experiences with this company to do the same. If there is enough people reaching out, it could be something that they pick up.
There is nothing to “expose” here. There is no requirement to licence a pleasure craft in Canada . You have to Register it with Transport Canada that’s it and even that’s rarely enforced if ever.It says right in their scamming website that all they are doing is registering for you and making $$ off something you can do yourself. You need a “ licence “ to fish but if a website said you also needed to be a “registered fisherman” send me $400 to join would you do it?

There is nothing to “expose” here. There is no requirement to licence a pleasure craft in Canada . You have to Register it with Transport Canada that’s it and even that’s rarely enforced if ever.It says right in their scamming website that all they are doing is registering for you and making $$ off something you can do yourself. You need a “ licence “ to fish but if a website said you also needed to be a “registered fisherman” send me $400 to join would you do it?
In my case, I wanted to transfer ownership of a sailboat that I recently bought. I went to their website. I paid $425, but they supplied no service what so ever. I ended up going to Transport Canada to get the transfer completed.

So I do believe there is something to expose.

That’s where the initial problem resides , new boat owners incorrectly assume that you need to “transfer ownership” of a pleasure craft ,there’s no such thing and that website/ corporation plays to peoples lack of knowledge regarding the process . It comes dow to to a buyer beware situation when surfing the web . Hopefully this forum can help other potential new boat owners so they don’t make an unnecessary payment for something that isn’t required .
I am paying $125 to Transport Canada to transfer the boat into my name. When I search on their website, the vessel comes up under the previous owners name. I feel that should change.

I agree that the website plays on people's lake of knowledge regarding the process. I do know though that some people have been successful in getting their Credit Card company to reverse the charges. I am currenlt in that process.

D

Can't agree with this,you do need to change the "Pleasure craft license" on a boat when purchasing, if it has over a 10 HP motor. If your stopped on the water by RCMP or Homeland Security they will need to know who owns the boat.The only way to prove that is to have a "Pleasure craft license" in your name and on the boat,otherwise it will come up as the previous owner. The reason so many people don't follow through with getting it is that taxes will be charged on the purchase eventually if bought privately.I say eventually because I bought 2 boats last year and have yet to receive a tax bill for them. There is very often confusion between "Registration" and the "Pleasure craft license" which are both done by Transport Canada. Registration is for Commercial vessels or large boats travelling between countries, Pleasure craft license is for the common boat buyers like us .

Can't agree with this,you do need to change the "Pleasure craft license" on a boat when purchasing, if it has over a 10 HP motor. If your stopped on the water by RCMP or Homeland Security they will need to know who owns the boat.The only way to prove that is to have a "Pleasure craft license" in your name and on the boat,otherwise it will come up as the previous owner. The reason so many people don't follow through with getting it is that taxes will be charged on the purchase eventually if bought privately.I say eventually because I bought 2 boats last year and have yet to receive a tax bill for them. There is very often confusion between "Registration" and the "Pleasure craft license" which are both done by Transport Canada. Registration is for Commercial vessels or large boats travelling between countries, Pleasure craft license is for the common boat buyers like us .
also "proof of ownership"
which is a copy of the sales agreement... its says right at the top of the registration.. " this is not a title document"

I am paying $125 to Transport Canada to transfer the boat into my name. When I search on their website, the vessel comes up under the previous owners name. I feel that should change.

I agree that the website plays on people's lake of knowledge regarding the process. I do know though that some people have been successful in getting their Credit Card company to reverse the charges. I am currenlt in that process.

D
I wanted to include this link so folks in the future can be easily guided to the BBB website.

Technically you are supposed to go to a Service BC Centre, declare the boat purchase to the teller and pay the PST in person. The taxation link between the Please Craft License (i.e. transport canada) is that they share registration information with Canada Revenue Agency, who then shares it with Revenue Services of BC. This information is used to conduct periodic audits and check for compliance. So you're unlikely to get a tax bill in the mail, but you may potentially recieve an audit notification... I hate paying taxes on used vehicles, and I think you can go a long time without doing so. But you can also get stung by the tax man... it's a risk, but that's life.

You are confusing “registering” a boat and “licensing” a boat.
all boats in Canada must be licenced with the exception of vessels where the owner chooses to be registered.
the licensing process issued a license number eg BC1234. You can name your boat whatever you want.
A registered vessel is issued a unique name eg “knot normal”. No other registered vessel can call themselves that name in Canada and you must display the name and port of registry prominently. The advantage is you can travel outside North America with your vessel and you can hold a mortgage on your vessel.
unfortunately Transport Canada does a **** poor job of explaining the difference.

What tipped me off was the fact that you had to submit three vessel names and they would pick one for you.
Hahaha, got to be kidding
Mine would be;
-Bite me
-KissMyA
-I'm a Bone head for thinking you guys are legit.

haha, not laughing at you Bill 310 , just how stupid do they really think we are, if you believe this well ...
Hahaha

Back