boat licence

robertg

Just in the process of buying a used boat, In 1990 I bought a 14 foot princecraft and duly licensed it with TC, in 1997 I bought a 21 foot campion and licensed as well so now to make this clear I have 2 boats . I have just bought another boat 24 feet and the campion is toast. In going through the process off licensing the 24 foot boat I discover that TC {transport canada} specifically says that licensing a boat is not at all proof of ownership.I also discover that the licence is good for ten years. So now I have 2 boats beside the one I am buying that are licensed one 24 years ago and the other 17 years ago. I have never received a letter from TC staying that my licenses were due for renewal. When I licensed both of these boats it was with the understanding that in doing so I am claiming I am the rightful owner of both boats until I sell them with a bona fida a bill of sale signed by me and with the new owners. I know this sounds confusing but what is TC purpose of saying we have to Licence a vessel but then say it is not proof of ownership. Now to add to the confusion go and read the section of regristrating a boat. Guys this is going to drive you nuts, first of all how many of us have boats that we have owned for 15 20 years and never give this a thought.

welcome to the new level of bureaucracy!! so after you are done make sure you have a copy of your bill of sale on board "proof of ownership"..... and your registration that clearly states at the top that it is not an ownership document.. lots a pains in the arse.. i got a warning from the rcmp last year because i did not have a proof of ownership on board.. hell doesn't everybody drive around with a boat licensed in their name that do not own.. apparently the fat cop from saskatchewan that was sea-sick in vancouver harbour did not like my comments or my fake puking routine.

yeah, you have to love all the bureacracy our government loves to spew our way. amazing how quickly they can make up new rules and regulations...yet when it comes to implimenting something that may actually be beneficial to the people it either doesn't get done (hollow promises or lipservice) or takes forever (usually when there's an election near...) heaven forbid they ever do something that might actually save us a few bucks... if it isn't beneficial to the government good luck seeing it happen,
bet that cop got a woody when he found you didn't have your proof of registration on board... wouldn't want him out there on the street actually hunting down the real criminals...

Thanks for the info Robert. I'm photo copying my bill of sale right now. Holy fack. Add another piece of paper to my already stuffed glove box!!!

The interesting thing about all this is that you have to provide TC with ownership documents (e.g. bill of sale) before they will issue the registration number to you. The registration form has the number and your name on it so why would it not be considered an ownership document???

The interesting thing about all this is that you have to provide TC with ownership documents (e.g. bill of sale) before they will issue the registration number to you. The registration form has the number and your name on it so why would it not be considered an ownership document???

Not a lawyer, but I would say Government wants to be able to identify you, track you and fee & tax you as it relates to your boat. What they don’t want is to get in involved in a civil dispute over ownership despite a sales agreement which may have complex legal issues and for which they could be seen to have some responsibility if they were to take the position that Registration is Proof of Ownership. They avoid potential involvement and even bad PR in ugly civil law situations by separating registration from proof of ownership. In short, you are on your own if ownership of your boat is questioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Government doesn't seem to have that problem when I register my car and they give me a license plate. That registration is clearly a proof of ownership. Why should boat ownership be any more complicated than car ownership?

The Government doesn't seem to have that problem when I register my car and they give me a license plate. That registration is clearly a proof of ownership. Why should boat ownership be any more complicated than car ownership?

Boats a Federal Responsibility.

Vehicles a Provincial Responsibility.

I would suggest the cost the provinces spend to maintain a strong and robust vehicle ownership and registration transfer system, databases and checks and balances as it relates to vehicle ownership and other important vehicle history, is much more than what the Federal Govt. is interested in spending, especially this Federal Government who apparently have other priorities for our tax dollars.

When you buy or sell a vehicle you are filling out legal government ownership transfer forms and making certain warrants that the information is correct. The Provincial Govt. is heavily involved and in BC that also includes insurance. With a boat sale, I am aware of lots of hand written sales agreements on a piece of scrap paper written by people without a lot of experience, knowledge or understanding. I am not aware of any formal Federal government boat ownership transfer forms or system for that matter. Perhaps they view the sales/ownership part as a Provincial responsibility.

PS - when I have bought used vehicles and provided a check for the down payment I have always written on the check and or have them write on the receipt that the seller warrants the vehicle free of all liens and encumbrances, for what little it is worth.

Not saying I am right and there is a fair bit of conjecture on my part, but if you think I am wrong, what is your explanation as to the reason the Feds do their best to stay out of the ownership issue and separate boat registration from boat ownership? I would say it comes down to money, politics and liability, like most things of this nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the Province taxes us 12% every time a boat changes hands, maybe they should step up. I recently sent in a cheque for several thousand,to the provincial government for a boat I am the third owner of. Pretty good return considering they do nothing for it! Maybe that's why the Feds do nothing as well?

Given the Province taxes us 12% every time a boat changes hands, maybe they should step up. I recently sent in a cheque for several thousand,to the provincial government for a boat I am the third owner of. Pretty good return considering they do nothing for it! Maybe that's why the Feds do nothing as well?

i cut them a cheque for more than 8K on my last used boat for taxes... nevermind the 2 boats before that that were used and had multiple tax collections. and they plead poverty to the sheeple every chance they get...... hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha tax,tax,tax,tax,tax,tax,tax then tax me some more...

Just to keep everyone updated I sent the form in to the recreational boat licensing people on the 16th of March so far zip from these goons

Mine was almost 2 1/2 years. Make sure you have your bill of sale other wise they will decide what they think your boat is worth.

My tax bill arrived today. Bought boat in dec 2012.

Wow they must be getting caught up, my explorer was a couple years, the Grady I paid at the boarder when I brought it across

to keep you up to date, I received the licence today for my new boat, the new licence has an expiry date of March 2024. going to start an enquiry about another boat that I have owned since 1990 that does not have an expiry date. Interested in what this government agency has to say

Wow they must be getting caught up, my explorer was a couple years, the Grady I paid at the boarder when I brought it across

Make sure you keep your receipt from the border. My sister brought a boat back from across the line. Paid all the duties and taxes at the border, but a couple years later she received a letter from our Government to pay the tax on it. She called them and told them she had already paid the taxes at the border. They said fine but she needed tosend proof . She still had to send a copy of the receipt she received when she crossed the border and paid all the duties and taxes or they were going to tax her again

to keep you up to date, I received the licence today for my new boat, the new licence has an expiry date of March 2024. going to start an enquiry about another boat that I have owned since 1990 that does not have an expiry date. Interested in what this government agency has to say
Keep us posted with what they say Rob, I also have a 14' Princecraft I purchased in 1993 so this should be interesting.

Back