Sannich inlet prawning

JDR

How has it been for you, I have prawned there for years and always done well. Last year not very well and this year is worse. Have talked to others and they concur. I have my spots that always produce and now nothing not even 1 prawn in 4 traps. Have tried other spots and not good either. So how have you been doing ??don't want your secret spots just your opinion. I don't over night my traps.

I haven't Prawned this year, but all the people that I have talked to that have said this is by far the worse year ever. Most pulled out after the first couple weeks of opening because it is so bad, not worth the trip out to bother. Most were getting less the 50-75 prawns in 4 traps that had sat over night to soak.

I was prawning the inlet April 1st (opening day) and we easily got our limit for two guys. Two weeks later, same spots and we got about half our limit.. My uncle went 2 weeks ago and caught 7 prawns for the day. My guess is all fisheries have peak years and slow years; this year is a slow year, and combined with overfishing, the saanich inlet is suffering. There are other areas that hold prawns..

pretty good year for me. I didn,t do too well on the first few days. Once I found out that my favourite spot was exactly where the native commercial food fishery was intensively harvesting and I moved, things got way better.

It's been better for me this year then last. (Last year was terrible for me anyways )
However it's definitely not like it was a few years ago.
Commercial guys will be there soon ?

Commercial guys are there now. Plenty of guys setting over them. I saw this happen quite a bit last time I was out.

That's not very smart to set over a commercial string as you are risking your gear.

A fleet of modern looking all aluminum prawing vessels have been dockside at Comox. I recollect about 4 to 5 yr ago they were all out prawning. Soon (not kidding) the 18 wheelers arrived day after day taking out the haul. As far as I can state those boats have not been out since. Don't know about this year. The deadly efficiency of industrial harvesting is astounding.

Back