Sand Lance Spoon

Andrew P I just wanted to let you know my fishing partner came down to Sitka Thursday while he was waiting for his truck to get serviced and bought two of your spoons. I had been taliking to him about this thread and your lure and convinced him to find the store and get two. This morning I nailed two (one big)hatchery springs on the flats, great lure thanks for your efforts!

Andrew P I just wanted to let you know my fishing partner came down to Sitka Thursday while he was waiting for his truck to get serviced and bought two of your spoons. I had been taliking to him about this thread and your lure and convinced him to find the store and get two. This morning I nailed two (one big)hatchery springs on the flats, great lure thanks for your efforts!

Hey Stinger, glad they worked out for out for you!!

I just ordered the Glow Pack on line. Hope to have a chance to play with them for lakers before my Aug run out west this summer.

Just a question boys, in some of the picks I noticed the lure is tied directly to the ring on the hook with no swivel in the middle. Is there any reason for this, would it not be better to have the hook on a swivel or does it add to much bling to the lure.

Thx.

The chrome one with the MOP stripe killed them yesterday....that is all :)

I just ordered the Glow Pack on line. Hope to have a chance to play with them for lakers before my Aug run out west this summer.

Just a question boys, in some of the picks I noticed the lure is tied directly to the ring on the hook with no swivel in the middle. Is there any reason for this, would it not be better to have the hook on a swivel or does it add to much bling to the lure.

Thx.
i found the hook up rate was the same, but without the split ring I lost several fish. They seemed to be able to leverage the hook loose. I put the ring in and it works better for me. (I just had BBq'd spring tonight for dinner caught on the Sitka spoon.)
T2

Hey Barrie, MrBradley, those who my spoon isn't producing for....

This really intrigues me and interested to know why one person in a cluster of boats is doing great with them while another is having no luck at all.

So, a couple questions that may tease out the issues:

How deep are you running them? Are you dragging right on bottom? While I have caught fish shallow with them, by far the best result is bouncing bottom.
How far back from the clip are you running the flasher? If I am putting them on the bottom I like to go really short and this seems to be what others do too. 8-15' max. Longer if you are fishing up high all the way up to 50'.

Aside from that I would say speed is the next thing. Sandlance are pretty quick swimmers. I like to see a 3kn speed over water.

Terry you want the hook to follow the curve of the spoon NO swivel , they work great!!!!!!!!!!! Andrew is hooking me up tomorrow with some new treasures ill post my findings...

Andrew - pretty much same technique here.. dragging in the mud anytime I am presenting a sand lance of any sort. quick troll but not quite 3 kn. 10-15' usually about the length from clip to flasher, sometimes a little shorter or longer to try to tease one up.

We have caught 1 fish on the lure, but it was the time that we were running it very slow and very high in the water column off of Beechey Head late last summer.

Will be primarily running bait now that it is mid June, but I will give it another shot in the fall.

Don't get me wrong, the action is great.. maybe it has simply been a situation of wrong place or wrong time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry you want the hook to follow the curve of the spoon NO swivel , they work great!!!!!!!!!!! Andrew is hooking me up tomorrow with some new treasures ill post my findings...

Thx Roy.

I think you may have mis unspderstood my post,, looking back at it yah I wrote it out wrong,, sorry..

My question Roy was people aren't running a swivel between the split ring and their line. I think you are talking about a swivel between the hook and lure..

Here's the way I've been running it, swivel between the hook and rear split ring

attachment.php

Attachments

• sand lance 001.jpg
    sand lance 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,835
Ahh the joys of our game hey boys.. One runs a swivel on the back the other not.. This is why I wanted to get them in early and have a chance to run them for Lakers around home a bit,, just to get a feeling for what they run like and what makes them tick.. I am a stickler for details and believe strongly that the smallest of detail makes a difference. Maybe not when they are in thick and heavy and will hit anything that moves,, but when they are finicky it makes a difference.

I appreciate the info gentlemen,, on both sides.

Well personally when you put a swivel on the hook you get different action hence why you dont see too many swivels on them look at most spoons its off for a reason but whatever you think works do it, hell put it backwards ya never know LOL LOL

To answer your question still No you want it direct to get the whip action form a flasher same as a hootchie you want the movement

Good luck Wolf

Makes sense to me..

Thx again Roy..

Yes, every one has a different opinion about what works best.
I can only say from experience that the spoon as shown has worked very well. :D
also experimented with several different hooks and the Gami open eye 3/0 is the best I've found.
Very strong and stay sharp.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2046.jpg
    2046.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,369
I haven't fished with them a ton, but they did work for me. They have to work! Literally a mirror image of the needles swimming around on the South Island at the moment.

Shorter leaders 45" or less, faster than average troll and small drop back from the release clip. Pretty much exactly as Andrew suggests. If you've had success with a coho killer then run these the exact same way.

Thx again gentlemen,, appreciate the info..

Same as rsc I add a swivel between hook and spoon and also another swivel on top of spoon. Works well and salmon can't escape doing the death roll.

Fished 2 1/2 days out of Prergine Lodge - June 22 to 24th - ( a truly first class operation) and three of us released 47 Springs all in the high teens to mid 20s and came home with our limits. 3 fish in the 30's and a few Coho showing up. One day we fished Andrew P's Sandlance spoon along side of cut plug and even though the troll speed was way lower than we should have been doing and running the spoon and without a flasher, at the end of the day it was a dead heat between the Sandlance and cut plug. Amazing.
No swivels on the lure - hook attached to ring at the end and tied directly to a ring at the nose then 42" of leader back to swivel chain on the line.

Back