Sand Lance Spoon

For guys that have run these spoons....are most running naked and slightly faster or using flashers?

Haven't handled either and not sure if the cuts/shape are different so that Andrew's are more conducive to running behind a flasher?

Im running them as Andrew suggested. 40" leader behind flasher and 3mph troll speed. If theres fish they smash them!

For guys that have run these spoons....are most running naked and slightly faster or using flashers?

Haven't handled either and not sure if the cuts/shape are different so that Andrew's are more conducive to running behind a flasher?

The spoon isn't as long or wide as the Nog's and therefore is better suited for a flasher.

We picked up a nice one in Sooke last year at the top of the water column... saw a diver bird with a sand lance in his mouth, so we tossed on the spoon... and it barely made it down to the 50 foot mark before it was hit.

This is one of the best new products to hit the market in years.
I can't say enough about it.
Thanks Andrew for developing a real winner !

Have yet to catch one on the Sitka, usual gear is producing just fine, it was outfished 3-0 yesterday by another spoon, musta brought a dozen fish to the boat while the Sandlance side natta , having fun out there but i'm cutting this things ice time more and more as each day passes ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken a couple springs on it, but it hasn't done for me what it has done for others, meanwhile the TKO and bait were both catching fish during that period.

West Constance and Becher Bay were the locations.

I haven't committed to cutting it's ice time yet, as the action is very nice and does replicate a sand lance.. but summer is fast approaching and then it will be bait rolling time.

PS - I had some painted by a major tackle manufacturer and have yet to give them any proper ice time, I will let you know how it works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are the top two or three colors we should be starting with, Andrew?

BTW I distribute products to Cabela's, Bass Pro, and about 4000 other stores in the USA. If you need advice on how to get into those stores I'd be happy to tell you how we did it. PM me if you want.

Make sure you run the spoon beside the boat and watch the action before putting it down.
A very subtle bend at either end can really change the action giving it an erratic darting
motion.
IMHO this is even more important than the color choice.

I have taken a couple springs on it, but it hasn't done for me what it has done for others, meanwhile the TKO and bait were both catching fish during that period.

West Constance and Becher Bay were the locations.

I haven't committed to cutting it's ice time yet, as the action is very nice and does replicate a sand lance.. but summer is fast approaching and then it will be bait rolling time.

PS - I had some painted by a major tackle manufacturer and have yet to give them any proper ice time, I will let you know how it works out.

I have found that they perform best going pretty quick and faster than most people would ever run bait. If you are going slower with bait, you can try giving the spoon a little extra bend for more action at the slow speeds.

I tend to run them between 2.8-3.5kn. It feels fast and the hit really hard at these speeds.

Hey Andrew ~ thank you!!
Your spoons have been working like magic on the East side of Galliano. I've only used a green and white 42" behind a green flasher and have been trolling fast as you suggest. This morning we limited out in an hour and a half all on your spoon. I'm a believer!! :)

Hey Andrew ~ thank you!!
Your spoons have been working like magic on the East side of Galliano. I've only used a green and white 42" behind a green flasher and have been trolling fast as you suggest. This morning we limited out in an hour and a half all on your spoon. I'm a believer!! :)[/QUOTE

X2

My buddy and I caught 5 springs on the Sitka spoon for 65 mins!

Back