San Juan

L

leebee

This will be my first attemt at fishing the mouth the San Juan. Any suggestions?

Yeah, go to the Nitinat if you want to catch a salmon, that's my first suggestion! My second would be to try under the bridge at first light on the flood tide with small buzz bombs and spoons. Should be some salmon there waiting for rain.

Should be tons of fish. Word of advice though, keep calm. We have thrown everything at them over the years. That is one mysterious run of fish. When they are staging near the bridge , they seem to have something else on their minds. It is a very frustrating fishery.

Yes unfortunately,buzz bombs seem to be the ticket in hooking these fish, I just haven't figured a way for them to be fair hooked though.
It really isn't any fun

It really isn't worth the drive. Guess you have to try it a few times to see for yourself though.

Good luck

Should be tons of fish. Word of advice though, keep calm. We have thrown everything at them over the years. That is one mysterious run of fish. When they are staging near the bridge , they seem to have something else on their minds. It is a very frustrating fishery.

Yes unfortunately,buzz bombs seem to be the ticket in hooking these fish, I just haven't figured a way for them to be fair hooked though.
It really isn't any fun

It really isn't worth the drive. Guess you have to try it a few times to see for yourself though.

Good luck

Your right about them not at all interested in anything. Very cool to see them schooling under the bridge. Kept the kids busy for hours.
We saw a couple come in but for the amount of fish and fishermen there wern't many pulled in.
We will bring the canoe next time. Thanks for advice.

Your right about them not at all interested in anything. Very cool to see them schooling under the bridge. Kept the kids busy for hours.
We saw a couple come in but for the amount of fish and fishermen there wern't many pulled in.
We will bring the canoe next time. Thanks for advice.

we hang chrome vibrex's off the bridge in ebbing tides, like herring fishin the gorge.. works well, watch out when lay the rod on the rails, almost lost them a few times

we hang chrome vibrex's off the bridge in ebbing tides, like herring fishin the gorge.. works well, watch out when lay the rod on the rails, almost lost them a few times

Not legal. It's right up there with the legal snag. ie buzz bombs in an estuary??????????

" they're so angry they're smashing it with they're tails"

Not legal. It's right up there with the legal snag. ie buzz bombs in an estuary??????????

" they're so angry they're smashing it with they're tails"

You salmon jiggers are a joke nothing better to do than harass the fish when all they want to do is reproduce, leave them alone. Don't ever complain about the FN because your worse, real bad example for the kids too.

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Off the bridge? U sure thats legal?[:0]

Co's never said it wasnt an havent seen anything to say it is? I wasnt talkin buzz bombs and there was no tail action. Had to be a good ebb tho to keep the blade going, and wasnt sitting it in the middle of the schools.......just below the surface, no flossing, they would hammer it.... course never caught as many as the "I've heard they smack it their tail first" lead flingin guys but it did work, and good knowing i didnt have to look over the should before the BONK;)

Yeah I am pretty sure that it clearly states that fishing in or around bridges is not allowed. Fish ways or other natural passages such as falls are also listed as no fishing. Something like 50 meters above and below. I could be wrong as to the particulars , but I am pretty sure it says something to this effect. I know DFO had plenty to discuss with the bridge guys last time I was out to the Nitinat. Better check to be safe.

Its 23 meters and not sure that bridges are considered obsticals, says nothing about them. As well the side of that bridge with the sidewalk is tidal regs, the bridge is the boundry.

And bridge guys at nitnat??? well that pool is closed for one. Or on the way home from nitnat?
If it was the San Juan bridge you are reffering to Im sure they would have something to say to a bunch of guys ripping giant hooked buzz bombs though there especailly since the CO's house is right there?

There was a time . Oh maybe ten years ago, before hundreds of people got out to Nitinat. The bridge pool was open for business. Even after they closed it, people would cast from beyond the boundry. You know what I am talking about. It wasn't pretty

oh those were the days. remember and miss them (before the show)

Back