Sampo Swivels

Red Monster

Is it just me or is it hard to find Sampo swivels? I want to upgrade the swivels on my main line to ball bearing swivels.

Had a look at a few sources even AFW is scarce these days-and what's there is grossly overpriced.

So Shimreels carries these Japanese made premium swivels I use them they are killer and shipping is free (but slow).

shimreels.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=swivels

Sasame 310-A Ball Bearing Swivels High Quality Size 5 (1546)

Terminal Tackle​

Sasame 310-A Ball Bearing Swivels High Quality Size 5 (1546)

Available:

Sasame​

Sasame 310-A Ball Bearing Swivels High Quality Size 5 (1546)..
7.90 usd

Thanks, those Sasame swivels look great.

I am not sold on sampos anymore. Last salmon season I had my largest chinook on of the year, right by the boat ready to net, I had a tackle failure. On inspection I saw the bottom ring had failed on the swivel. it was flat gone. When I got home I pulled out my jewelers loupe and started inspecting the 'welds' on my remaining swivels. On many I could see a hairline crack around the welds. I am in the usa and went to my local commercial fish supply store, Englunds, and found 'Pitbull' made in USA ones that had beefy welds that extended outside of the ring diameter. Thats I all use from now on. Many companies are losing their original quality reputation by being forced to produce offshore to stay competitive. Sad but true. I lost a salmon tourney a few years back because the mustad hook broke. I called the owner who makes the lures ( FBR) to cry and complain and he said his hooks were great when they came from Norway but assumed some were 'outsourced' over the last year or two and he had noticed the the quality went way down.

WOw---bummer on any lost fish, but more like tragic when it's a tyee!! Thanks for the post, I'm going to check my swivels right now and order up some Pitbulls. Where did you source them??? I have been using "Dr Fish" swivels from Amazon, they are probably Chinese...

Do you often use the Franko Bullet rotator? Was the tourney you lost the Chetco Derby??? I remember a cover photo of the Salmon/Steelhead Journal about 2015 showing a little Asian woman with the derby winning 51# King, I think she fished in Andy Martin's boat, the guide I used in 2016.
Mustad stainless hooks, like the 92553 Octopus and 9571 open-eye seem to be as good as in the past. I was just on Mustad site, they have come out with a new hook, the "Hoodlum", triangle forged with welded eye, looks great for tuna but overkill for Springs. VERY $$.
I learned to mooch at Langara Lodge in 1986. Tony Pletcher, a Fisheries biologist from Vancouver, taught me to use a 9-foot 12# leader with 9255ss hooks, he put a little dab of epoxy on the hook eye so the line would not get caught in that gap, and he used a rubber snubber behind a 4oz banana weight. I got a 30 and 35# first morning using his technique, the fish are in my avatar pic. Back in those days, a 3-night stay at the Lodge for me and the wife was $2200 Canadian, boat included! And we brought back a years' worth of fillets. 1986 was the first year of operation for Langara Fishing Lodge, kind of a shack on a barge, with a Belgian chef from a Vancouver hotel who made delicious cookies every night! Food was unsurpassed, as was the fishing. Great memories! Salmon, whales and puffins, black bears on the shore....and fog!!

yes that was the slammin salmon chetco tourney a few years back. I have caught quite a few on the fbr out in deep water. I rig mine different with a trailer hook - 4/0 and a 3/0 in the body. I use beads as the spacer instead of the tube. I like them but they need more action than just a bullet spin so I fish them behind a dodger to make them dance a little.

Is it just me or is it hard to find Sampo swivels? I want to upgrade the swivels on my main line to ball bearing swivels.
I was sorting tackle today and found some sampos. Attached is a pic of the ring ‘weld’ and a pic of a bulldog weld.

Attachments

• 1E1312BB-E243-4440-A6F1-EAC4B74421AA.jpeg
    1E1312BB-E243-4440-A6F1-EAC4B74421AA.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 26CF62AA-BC27-48D5-8F81-0B43B0B577A8.jpeg
    26CF62AA-BC27-48D5-8F81-0B43B0B577A8.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 72
Back