Salty Telegraph Cove Talk

jsam

Hello friends,

I'm new to this site, so let me apologize in advance if I've missed any stickies or previous threads on this topic.

I'm a former guide from lodges in Rivers Inlet and up in the Charlottes. I'm going to be making a trip in late July/early August to fish some foreign waters - Telegraph Cove area - for Springs and maybe a couple flatties.

What works? Where? How? Any salty words of wisdom are appreciated!

JSAM

I'll be making my first trip up there on the 16-20 of July. Can't wait! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Taking the Old Man out there to hopefully tie into some nice fish.

Hi Guys.

Not trying to be rude, but I'd suggest running a site search. Use McNeil, Telegraph, Malcolm, & halibut (or similar) as the search terms. You should find plenty of info. I'm no expert on the area, so I'll leave the recommendations to the locals.

Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail i worked (guided) up there for 15 yrs

wolf

Hello friends,

Any salty words of wisdom are appreciated!

JSAM

OK, I'll give it a shot....................

Yar, Jasm, yee must beat to quarters long eire the sun squints at the riser. Set a stiff sheet to the treasured waters and drop yee skivits against the tide. Ware the wiskered sea heathens that haunt thee waters. The scallywags will pilige yee gold.

Dang, now I need a throat lausenge

OK, I'll give it a shot....................

Yar, Jasm, yee must beat to quarters long eire the sun squints at the riser. Set a stiff sheet to the treasured waters and drop yee skivits against the tide. Ware the wiskered sea heathens that haunt thee waters. The scallywags will pilige yee gold.

Dang, now I need a throat lausenge

Yarrrrrrrrrrrr!
piratecrossword_fullpic.jpg

@ Knotty -- Hahah **** man that's just the kind of advice that makes me know I came to the right place!

@ Wolf -- Although Knotty may have a slight edge on creativity, I'll fire you off an email and we can chat!

@ the sportfishing community in BC... CHeers! (How have I not been coming to this webpage ages ago?) YARRR!

Baronet Pass on flood, 51ft and 69ft, chovy, 6-7ft flasher, one fairly generic one that works well is the ol betsy. The Wall across from baronet, loveeee that spot cuz she's a sheer drop off...can be only 6 ft from wall and still over 100ft deep. Flower island, same depths as baronet, donogel head, bear pt, all over backside of malcolm is fairly consistent all the way to black bluffs. Before we moved to Hardy 7 years ago my dad guided out of that area for over 20 years...while I was young still remember a bit of it haha

Serengeti, much appreciated! Thanks!
Thoughts on using 'chovies vs cut plugged herring? (@Serengeti or anyone who has an opinion on the topic).

JSAM

Stubbs isl.for butts. Bluffs-Lizard pt.(Malcom Is.) springs... crank up the speed(2.5 knts.) like em quick...my fav. hali spot is Thomas pt.90' (end of Hardy airport)got that tip from the fish cops(long story we won't go there ;)...sammy

Don't cut plug because a) its mainly needlefish there so a herring will just not fit in down there and fish are dumb but not completely stupid, and b) you will **** off everyone there who is trolling chovies and going a lot quicker than you with you pluggin up the hole.

Gonna be headed there from July 20th-24th for my 7th annual fishing weekend extravaganza. Anything other than anchovies that works well? I want to try to outfish my brother in law this year but I have a feeling anchovies will be the way to go. Serengeti I have the two of the silver super betsy's, will they work or should I grab a gold one?

Thanks

Last year Purple Haze out fished the usual glow green and chrome teaser heads. The red or gold/silver flasher was my usual go to until I tried the purple haze or monkey puke flasher last year. They both worked very well. Green glow and green splatter back will both work for hootchies.

For this year we will have to wait and see as the fish are not really around yet......

The places Serengeti mentioned are all great spots and the flood seems to be better than the ebb.

Cheers

SS

Funny thing when i was up there every morning for 2 weeks... standard fare turn the coffee/radio on...hey here's the morning fish'n report...after a couple of days telling u what was the hot lure... buddy & I would look at each other before the dude got to fav.lure part & say green hootchy lol...pretty much that was it for 2 weeks Lmao.Fishing is only part of the equation lots of fab scenery,great anchorages & funky little marinas to visit.

ps. Flood may be the norm. for most fishn areas but if i recall Barnett passage was better on the start of the ebb before it really started to rip out...sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
worked at a lodge on malcolm two summers ago anchovies in the 50-80 foot range on the backside was a go to, but Serengeti has added all the info you really need if u want some specific tips or places feel free to pm me.

juby

Green hootchies work great. It is definitely an anchovy fishery but herring will work too. Maybe just for early mornings off Malcolm Island. Serengeti is right about slow trolling not being appreciated at Flower Island, The Wall or Cracroft. It's fun to try a cutplug or a whole herring teaser if fishing is decent and you want a fight without the flasher. Also it's common knowledge that big bait = big fish.
There are halibut all over and it can pay off to try spots that look good if you don't mind losing some gear here and there. Ling cod too in Blackfish Sound but it helps alot to have a small tide or fish the slack current.

Keep this chat a going...I have a trip up to Telegraph and area in about 2 and half weeks....I need all the help I can get if anyone has some current info.

I was up there last week from Friday to Wed with a group of 4 boats. I tryed for salmon for about 2 hrs at the wall and lizard NADA. The rest of the effort was on Hali all 3 other boats only fished Hali. Out of all the boats 8 hali. Not sure if it was bad timing the tides were good but it was the slowest weve seen. I will be up there again at Alder Bay 22,23 24th hope its picked up by then. The one positive I heard was last Sunday there was a good run of Salmon went through. According to chatter on the radio.

Anchovy vs. herring: I am starting to think that Serengeti is right on both counts. I might be wrong but there seems to be a "match the hatch" thing going on in certain Van Isle fisheries during certain times of the year, and the guy who is fishing the gear that is keyed in to the size of the predominant forage fish the salmon are chasing just might have the edge.

I do not use flashers on my main gear---just a dummy flasher on the ball. I fish a straight cut-plug herring about 98% of the time I fish, pinned about 5 feet above the dummy flasher. Just a preference thing----even a break-away flasher doesn't do it for me.

In Bamfield last week that was the ticket. Got more then enough fish to be happy on my blue label.

But fishing Port Hardy the last few years I think I'm starting to see a trend: the guys who pull anchovies or rubber at 2 to 3 knots outfish me and my cut-plug herring. I'm starting to key in on the fact that it's both the size (small), and the presentation (fast) that these July feeders want. That's just my personal observation---other guys might have had different experiences

What drives me nuts is I catch enough on cut plug to keep me doing what I do. Last year, the first night I got to Hardy, just at sunset I dropped two cut plug herring into 40 feet off water off Bell Island and picked up a 25 on the first one and a 30 on the second one. Boom boom. It happened that fast. Oh, so this is going to be a lights-out trip I said to myself as I shook them off my gear (too early in the trip to put anything in the cooler is how I rationalized it).

The next morning at Castle, brimming with confidence over what happened the night before, I proceeded to drag some beautiful blue label herring along the rocks at my typical crawl-along speed. No soap. And I remember there was one guy in the fleet going by three times faster then everyone else (he was a nuisance and was pissing people off). But guess what--that was the boat that had three hook-ups while all the other boats had about the same results as me---nada

Same at Jeanette the next morning---the guy with flasher and rubber going 3 knots got the fish--- all I was left with was the memory of those two springs from my first night that the freaking idiot standing next to me in my boat thought he'd turn loose. What was he thinking???

I'll be off Flower Island next week. Might take a peek at Kingcome and Knight Inlet.

I'll have my blue label herring because I'm a stubborn fool.

But I think I just might put some break-away flashers and needle fish sized rubber in my boat.... just in case

Sharphooks thanks a lot for that. I'll reluctantly admit that I was planning on still dragging a couple cut-plugs when I get up there... why you ask? I'm also a stubborn fool -- and fools like me often stick to what we know best.

So clearly I need a little assistance to help change my gameplan... Here are a few questions to all they anchovy fishermen out there. Do you replace the factory hook that often comes with the teaserhead? How do you all feel about the Rhys Davis Bulletroll Specials (w/predrilled wire holes)? 1 or 2 hooks (trailer hook vs not)? If you're replacing that factory hook, what is the hook of choice (what size treble w/ what size trailer?)? Can I tie the same knot on a treble that I tie on my leaders (http://www.grandslambucktails.com/tying_leaders.htm?)

I've obviously done a little research online and everyone seems to have a different opinion. You all can give location specific details that would be much more valuable. These questions may be basic to many of you -- but I'm the kind of fisherman that has to feel PERFECT with exactly how my gear is presented or I don't catch fish. OCD? Maybe...

Back