Best Time of Year For Telegraph Cove?

R

RobTufnail

Hey guys im looking to plan a trip to telegraph cove for 08 and was wondering what is the best time to get halibut and salmon? I'm looking to do a little of both and would greatly appreciate any imput on locations, gear and all that good stuff;)

we'll be fishing out of a 20 ft trophy.

thanks in advance

Robert

I was looking to do a trip in aug and the fishing was slow aside from pinks so i ended up in the port gongshow. I did alot of research though and last year june-july was strong

hey Rob
Like Kelly said June starts picking up for chinook as they all bottle neck before heading throught the straights, hali are present at this time also, tie up alot of teaser heads due to the abundance of herring in the area the choves seem to be the ticket,
good luck

i went up last year and stayed at alert bay,
july was good but last week july- mid august was dead dead, then last couple weeks in august was hot hot,
i was up 1st weekend august and didint see one spring or butt caught... that was out of the norm though

Aug 17-21, 2004 was great for chinooks, cohoes and pinks. I went the first week of July in 2006 and 2007 and found it good for halibut and much slower for salmon. Wolf would know better than I would though.

The Springs were late last year though...so it's hard to say what they will do this upcoming year. August is usually the most consistant month, so I'd say that is the best bet in my opinion, and I've lived up here all my life...although that still may not be as long as some others.

well mixed reviews so far
what do you say Wolf?
You've fished that area quite a bit havent you?

This is a great area and fishing success can change with every tide!!Fishing was as good for me this last season as the season before.(actually better for Springs but I absorbed a little knowledge and hooked more fish because of it!)and Halibut for me is like hunting! Stalk around in good areas they are there just gotta keep looking and offer GOOD bait!!!

thanks for the imput guys
i'll be sure to let you all know how it goes come summer time.

Yes been there now coming up to my 14th year as I tell most people the best time to go fishing is the time you get here how do you expect us to know when the fish are in????? if we knew that we would be millionares every tide is different I have had great days in june,july,and august. the thing i have found with that area is you have to move around alot and "find" where there mostly holding

Bait has a lot to do with it for instance flower island for 3 days was Sooooo thick with bait we were hammering fish then the forth day none no bait = no fish they moved thats the joy of having 4 guide boats we all go to different places

The places I have found to be good are malcom island slide,lizard pt etc a flood tide and craycroft can be great as well but it has to be a strong flood just be patient and if you dont get the "feel" of the place move on you will see whats going on out there,there is a ton of boats and once you get to know the area you will see what people are getting.

Good luck Wolf

Yes been there now coming up to my 14th year as I tell most people the best time to go fishing is the time you get here how do you expect us to know when the fish are in????? if we knew that we would be millionares every tide is different I have had great days in june,july,and august. the thing i have found with that area is you have to move around alot and "find" where there mostly holding

Bait has a lot to do with it for instance flower island for 3 days was Sooooo thick with bait we were hammering fish then the forth day none no bait = no fish they moved thats the joy of having 4 guide boats we all go to different places

The places I have found to be good are malcom island slide,lizard pt etc a flood tide and craycroft can be great as well but it has to be a strong flood just be patient and if you dont get the "feel" of the place move on you will see whats going on out there,there is a ton of boats and once you get to know the area you will see what people are getting.

Good luck Wolf

hey wolf where is the slide? i was up there and heard of it but never saw it... i got the feeling it was inbetween donegal and lizard? thanks

hey wolf where is the slide? i was up there and heard of it but never saw it... i got the feeling it was inbetween donegal and lizard? thanks

Past lizard point if I'm not mistaken. Best way to say it is between Black Bluffs and Bere Pt. (or Trinity Bay...I'm having a brain cramp and can't think exactly! lol) You can definitely tell it was a slide at one point though. Shouldn't be too hard to see. :)

Past lizard point if I'm not mistaken. Best way to say it is between Black Bluffs and Bere Pt. (or Trinity Bay...I'm having a brain cramp and can't think exactly! lol) You can definitely tell it was a slide at one point though. Shouldn't be too hard to see. :)

The slide is east of lizard pt between donegal and lizard just in front of what we call the "hump" it is on the trailing edge of the hump that why on a flood tide it can be very good.

good luck Wolf

The slide is east of lizard pt between donegal and lizard just in front of what we call the "hump" it is on the trailing edge of the hump that why on a flood tide it can be very good.

good luck Wolf

Back