Salmon shark?

Were you on the inside or out of Tofino?

Certainly doesn't look like a seal as they always seem to rip leaving a head or part of a body from what I've experienced.

Definitely strange looking wounds and that puncture in the gut is odd paired with the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were there any marks on the other side of the fish?

Must be "Kraken"

Attachments

• Colossal_octopus_by_Pierre_Denys_de_Montfort.jpg
    Colossal_octopus_by_Pierre_Denys_de_Montfort.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,036
That's awesome that we still see $hit that amazes us.
That's quite the tag mark Chris, no idea what else that could be.

That is some scary looking marks , i think the pine beetle has made it's way to the ocean ... salmon beetle haha , Caribou time for support . Wow ! :confused:

having had many springs taken by salmon sharks (and blue sharks) off winter harbour/quatsino over the years I would say that is not likely your culprit. they tend to slice something I half. typically I would get back the head and body to around the dorsal fin area in one big gross chunk.

Looking at the rounded or circular nature of the bite marks it must have been an orca you didn't see. they have the conical teeth that would make a mark like that.

I've also had Humboldt squid attack fish. they also will make circular wounds but not that big.

then again could be something I've never seen before... ogopogo maybe?

That is some scary looking marks , i think the pine beetle has made it's way to the ocean ... salmon beetle haha , Caribou time for support . Wow ! :confused:

Damn those fish farms increasing the population of salmon beetles for those poor fish swimming past...

Looking at the rounded or circular nature of the bite marks it must have been an orca you didn't see. they have the conical teeth that would make a mark like that.

Looking at the big puncture in the gut I kind of wondered the same thing....but new may think sooner or later you'd see the black and white culprit surface? I know they can dive for a LONG time, just kinda thought you may see it/them somewhere? :confused:

I'm guessing maybe a seal got a hold of it initially...then let go....then the Dogfish had at it.....

That big wound looks like a long continuous 'burrowing' attack from end to the other.....

Doesn't look like a large shark wound or Orca bite....

I think it was this Blobfish that just sucked reel hard !!

blobfish indian ocean.jpg

But in all seriousness this is a very interesting thread to me- isn't Kelly a Marine Biologist ? Kelly, what you think?

...the long gouge out of the flesh doesn't look like a typical sharks teeth mark at all - niether does the puncture. I was guessing more a squid like was suggested before ..... I also wondering sea lion .....or a six gill shark but eliminated that as even though I think six gills have different teeth than the regualr sharks , I think they would still produce a sharp slash cutting type wound.

The flesh wound/gouge on the side of the fish almost looks like it was done be something man-made - like it hit the spinning prop of a boat ????

I think it was this Blobfish that just sucked reel hard !!

View attachment 14008

But in all seriousness this is a very interesting thread to me- isn't Kelly a Marine Biologist ? Kelly, what you think?

...the long gouge out of the flesh doesn't look like a typical sharks teeth mark at all - niether does the puncture. I was guessing more a squid like was suggested before ..... I also wondering sea lion .....or a six gill shark but eliminated that as even though I think six gills have different teeth than the regualr sharks , I think they would still produce a sharp slash cutting type wound.

Nope not a bio but this has me stumped. Looks almost squid like but the way it runs down the side doesn't. My guess would be doggies just in terms of probability but even that doesn't add up. Sent it to a dfo bio to see what they think.

Iron Noggin should see this but I think he's away hunting-definitely looks like two different causes for those wounds.

Could be a squid ...that grabbed on and then gnawed/chomped it's way down the side.......don't see any tentacle/sucker marks though.....

Back