Salmon need Trees

Oh you first please..... as you asked the question :) However if you read what was written .. A coalition is in my opinion the only way.....

The coalition is the way the ENGOs do it on certain topics like marine conservation caucus. Though the David Suzuki foundation is bigger and has more resources then all the sports fishing bc ones combined.

where the ENGOs excel imo is there messaging and willingness to to buy in and push an agenda even tho if you talk to then off the record many won’t Agree.

Oh you first please..... as you asked the question :) However if you read what was written .. A coalition is in my opinion the only way.....
Agree, has to be a coalition effort, which to me means people sitting down setting aside egos and finding ways to work it out. There isn't IMO one organization positioned to take the lead role, and frankly even if there were, having one could be counter productive to coalition building. There are plenty of people who care deeply about steelhead, how many are actually willing to set aside egos and deeply rooted agendas to actually collaborate with win/win top of mind?

Let me guess Derby: Not either the SFI nor the SFAB but rather the BCWF because "SFI is dominated by marine focused commercial recreational fishing interests. The SFAB is now influenced heavily by those same individuals."

Fairly predictable...

I would suggest it is speculation on your part when you say that "most people have given up on doing anything constructive for steelhead for those exact reasons..." There are many people hard at work advocating for steelhead including those that will be attending the upcoming PAAT meeting next week. Unfortunately, it is coinciding the same day that the SFAB is having a workshop dealing with anadromous species. Two important meetings taking place on the same day, one "the province" who manages steelhead and the other one through the SFAB process....
Based on what I have observed, there are so many divergent views on how to best address steelhead issues it has been impossible to gain traction on any meaningful and fully supported by all stakeholders action plan. So a lot of good people who care about steelhead have in practical terms given up hope we can all get behind one core vision and plan for steelhead recovery. Aside from everyone agreeing there is a problem, not much else has been accomplished. Fractured is how I would describe the stakeholders, and hopeful someone can find a way to break through and bring everyone together.

The SFAB workshops planned for the coming month are to engage stakeholders to gather input on how to construct new process standards (procedures) around a new Topic-based Operating Model to modernize the SFAB. Put another way, the business of the SFAB will be aligned to species topic, which is how DFO and the Province manage. There isn't an "anadromous" workshop, rather that would fall under the Salmon Species Topic and will include both tidal and non-tidal as a focus. It will also include examining improved ways for the SFAB process to collaboratively support and work more efficiently with the provincial PAAT process where there are intersections with fisheries managed by DFO that impact steelhead. But it will not include any attempt to shift management of species such as steelhead from the Province to DFO - that is a non-starter.

Let me guess Derby: Not either the SFI nor the SFAB but rather the BCWF because "SFI is dominated by marine focused commercial recreational fishing interests. The SFAB is now influenced heavily by those same individuals."

Fairly predictable...
LOL... None the above sorry.. and just because Bob says or thinks what he figures is going on doesnt mean its so. unless it fits Bob's narritive......

Steelhead are a completely different animals with different players & polictics which i would think you would know. I can say that the 35 plus years of being part of or connected to the steelhead process has shown that none or anything has work nor has one group.. The same approachs are and will not work agian ...Its kinda like catching a pig in mud( not going to happen) whats the answer not sure :(
As Sea Run has suggested is what i would consider as a new way to proceed perhaps a Coalition... However you have to put your faith in mankind to put aside all personal agenda's to sit at a round table and speak as 1 voice and work together..... Then there is the other problem who is the one to rally all together ?

So not as predictable as you would think.... I would have a couple Names that I would put forward that I would think could possiable be able to achieve the above.. But that is more meeting and of course you can see where it would go...sadly

There's a similar coalition to what's described above happening now with PSF offering to facilitate. However, with Covid it's been delayed. See below for summary:

SALMON SUMMIT 2021: Approaching the summit together

PSF invites your valued input into the creation of Salmon Summit 2021.

Background: The need for better communication and coordination was universally cited during the Pacific Salmon Foundation’s (PSF) strategic planning process in 2019 when we asked input from salmon stewardship and First Nations leaders. No regular convening to facilitate shared vision setting and action planning exists for Pacific salmon recovery. The need is only heightened now that the B.C. Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund has been launched, which has created a very positive imperative for NGO’s and First Nations to collaborate on Pacific salmon conservation projects. However, PSF believes there is need for a regular gathering and likely an on-going independent secretariat to ensure information and knowledge sharing, and the development of future activities that have the greatest potential to recover our many Pacific salmon stocks of conservation concern in British Columbia.

The IDEA: To bring together key leaders in the conservation and restoration of Pacific Salmon for a focused 1-2 day event to be held virtually in late spring 2021.

The INTENT: PSF is offering to serve as a catalyst to initiate this summit, and draw together key parties in Pacific salmon restoration to collaboratively tackle critical issues through the exchange of information and perspectives - successes and challenges. The goal would be to draft a Shared Vision and Action plan that will make the best use of our collective efforts, knowledge and research. By acting as a catalyst, PSF commits to co-convening with First Nations, Governments and conservation leadership organizations.

The INVITATION: To enlist your initial involvement in the development of a blueprint for the summit. Your thoughts and feedback will help determine the shape and scope; later your participation in the event will help to ensure effective, meaningful outcomes.

We are getting in touch now to ask if you could contribute a little time in order to provide your input regarding the potential scope, approach and priorities of the summit. We’d like to get as much feedback as possible by mid-February.

Representatives from First Nations and NGOs, and from Departments of the Federal & Provincial Governments are currently being contacted.

The FUTURE: With the development of a successful blueprint in 2021, we can collectively lay the groundwork for a series of summits over the next several years that will help us to make effective solutions together.

What HAPPENS NEXT?

Before the anticipated phone discussions, we would like to share a few questions in advance to help frame the conversation and focus of the Summit:

Should this first Salmon Summit tackle an issue that has broad implication for the conservation of all species of Pacific Salmon in British Columbia? An example of this broader approach is: “Building a Climate Adaptation Plan for Pacific Salmon.” It would encompass the full lifecycle of salmon from freshwater through estuaries and open ocean.

Another approach to consider for the first summit is to focus on a single theme or several themes. Themes that have been shared include: Governance; Enhancement; Habitat - restoration and protection; Enforcement, including support for First Nations Guardians; and Priority Setting and Monitoring.

We would also like to discuss with you questions regarding the overall shape and approach of the summit proceedings.

For example, the breadth of participation - how large should the numbers of participants in this first summit be, given the large and diverse communities/organizations that care about salmon restoration?

Also, the timing? Given the urgent challenges facing Pacific salmon, is it preferable to aim for a more contained summit this spring/summer, or wait for the fall with the information provided by another year of Pacific salmon returns, and additional planning time for a potentially larger summit.

Finally, given the limitations imposed by the pandemic, how can we take best advantage of virtual capabilities to build an effective first summit?

Back