Projects examine how rec fishery is affecting salmon.

OldBlackDog

The UBC research will lead to a scientific understanding of the mechanisms of recreational fishery related injuries that lead to mortality in released Chinook. What we should better understand is what are the specific causes of injury, and more importantly, what best practices could be adopted by recreational fishers to reduce those. It is likely the research best practices will lead to further education and awareness training for recreational fishers. There are some results that will surprise, others not so much.

What is clear is everyone engaged in the recreational fishery supports sustainable fishery practices, and rather than guessing at what fish handing and release practices are the best now we will have science-based research to inform our efforts.

The UBC research will lead to a scientific understanding of the mechanisms of recreational fishery related injuries that lead to mortality in released Chinook. What we should better understand is what are the specific causes of injury, and more importantly, what best practices could be adopted by recreational fishers to reduce those. It is likely the research best practices will lead to further education and awareness training for recreational fishers. There are some results that will surprise, others not so much.

What is clear is everyone engaged in the recreational fishery supports sustainable fishery practices, and rather than guessing at what fish handing and release practices are the best now we will have science-based research to inform our efforts.
Too bad this was never going to be about Science.

True that 'true' science is 'true' science however, we all know that powerful lobby groups, corporations and politicians can and do manipulate 'science' and data to try to justify the outcome they want. They simply ignore or cover up the truth to suit their own ends - fact of life unfortunately.

True that 'true' science is 'true' science however, we all know that powerful lobby groups, corporations and politicians can and do manipulate 'science' and data to try to justify the outcome they want. They simply ignore or cover up the truth to suit their own ends - fact of life unfortunately.
collect the data and get it used against you. bingo

Can you elaborate? Science is science and the results are the results. How those are used by management is a different story. But those working in the field are simply collecting data. What are you doing to help advance the fishery?
From the OP “What is the policy, or procedure, that allows that to happen? Catching and release in ocean fisheries is not benign, there’s a mortality to it,” asked Jim Lane, acting program manager for Uu-a-thluk, to DFO staff during a Council of Ha’wiih meeting back in July. “We’re talking about preserving and conserving WCVI chinook and other chinook populations, and then you have resorts in Tofino having catch-and-release derbies for chinook when the area is closed for retention.”
Sporties are on unseeded territory and not part of any decision making any more regardless of any science.

Catch and release will have some mortality however proper handling of live fish reduces the effect. I never net or handle a fish I will release. Unhook in the water and they swim away.
Closing salmon to c/r will have a huge effect on my life, and many others. It is the sport that is fun. The ability to retain is just a lucky reward.

From the OP “What is the policy, or procedure, that allows that to happen? Catching and release in ocean fisheries is not benign, there’s a mortality to it,” asked Jim Lane, acting program manager for Uu-a-thluk, to DFO staff during a Council of Ha’wiih meeting back in July. “We’re talking about preserving and conserving WCVI chinook and other chinook populations, and then you have resorts in Tofino having catch-and-release derbies for chinook when the area is closed for retention.”
Sporties are on unseeded territory and not part of any decision making any more regardless of any science.
I don't subscribe to that. I would rather be working to build a relationship with the Nations, and have solid science-based facts to help guide and inform discussions about how we can work collaboratively to sustainably manage the resource. The alternative is a dead end IMO.

I don't subscribe to that. I would rather be working to build a relationship with the Nations, and have solid science-based facts to help guide and inform discussions about how we can work collaboratively to sustainably manage the resource. The alternative is a dead end IMO.
Exactly. I understand @terrin's concerns. But we know what the status quo has got us. More restrictions. Dead end to the fishery.

Looking for solutions to decrease the fishery impact (like catch-and-release practices) needs to be a continued priority. Or we will continue to follow the same path towards more and more restrictions. And it's great to see the SFI directly involved, as they will be able to make these results widely known, not lost in the bureaucratic swap. Politicians need pressure and the more data we can collect the more pressure we can put on them.

I agree in principle that we should collect good data that we can use to make sound management decisions from. This is just basic, good resource management. However, we all know that it is not this simple. There are powerful political, economic and cultural forces that the public fishery fights against to allow for reasonable access to our common property fisheries. The forces against us will use whatever data, pressure, influence, alliances manipulation and deception to get what they want at the expense of the public fishery - i.e., they don't play or fight fair! They want what they want period, and to hell with the public fishery which some deem is unnecessary and even harmful from their biased perspectives.

So what do we do in the public fishery? We keep the high moral ground and collect the data to tell it as it is and continue to try to reason with the forces against us and those that have the authority to 'manage' the resource. However, if we are smart we will at the same time fight hard to beat them at the political, cultural and economic level as well. In my opinion this includes peaceful public protests, boycotts, legal court cases, public education and media campaigns to apply lots of political pressure. Why, because fisheries management in Canada is no longer science based, it is politically managed to influence the public perception and to appease lobby groups and voting blocks to allow political parties to stay in power and win elections!

That is the reality whether we like it, or not. My 2 bits.

i caught a chinook at 12 mile 2 seasons ago with a fresh tag attached. processed the fish and handed the tag in to the group doing the research at BMSC.. 2 months later i was mailed a hat and a thank you letter. the fish was tagged 1 day before out by the starfish by a different research group. pretty cool stuff they where doing on recovery of catch and release fish. they where running a recovery tank at the school too. gill bleeders, eye balled fish etc. 2 and sometimes 3 boats collecting salmon for studies.

Catch and release will have some mortality however proper handling of live fish reduces the effect. I never net or handle a fish I will release. Unhook in the water and they swim away.
Closing salmon to c/r will have a huge effect on my life, and many others. It is the sport that is fun. The ability to retain is just a lucky reward.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++^^^^^^^^^^+++++++++++++++++++++++++ This!

The amount of pictures I see (and lots on this very site!!!) of netted chinook (and handled for hero shots) during a regulatory mandated catch and release fishery makes me cringe.

Anybody looking for data to support potential mortality rates in C&R fisheries need look no further then pictures such as these.

Last edited:
Back