Salmon ID

profisher

I brought up my idea to improve the method for novices to more accurately ID the different salmon species. Its a simple step by step process. First step does the fish have sharp needle like teeth? A quick run of a finger down the lower jaw will confirm or not. If it does it can only be either a spring or a coho. White gums or black and your done on accurately and quickly ID-ing these 2.
No teeth, ok a quick check for oval spots on tail...yes then its pink and your done again...no its either a sockeye or a chum. Here is where common sense has to play as early chum are the hardest to make a positive ID. Just assume its a sockeye because 99% of the time it will be in this scenario. And who really cares if you toss back a chum anyway.

Sorry I omitted to say this idea was presented to DFO for the reg booklet. Obviously they didn't use it.

Chum will be the only of all 5 species to have a white tipped anal fin in addition to the rules that Profisher has pointed out in the process of elimination.

There are no excuses in my mind when it comes to Pinks and Chinook. I just don't get how some guys are still making the mistake out there.

Back