Sage CT 3106

Sharphooks

I got lucky tonight and found a CT 3106 and grabbed it quick

The Seller also has a CT 3960

If anyone is looking for a good boat rod I’ll send the link

Please disregard--the guy bumped up the price to $ 400 and somebody grabbed it anyway

I wondered how a 9'6" would compare to a 10'6" for a boat rod---I was tempted to choose the shorter rod but stuck with the tried and true

The 396 is graphite 3 so a little less durable. They are also more of a mag taper so less forgiving. You got the right one for sure. The 3106 is my favorite rod for the work you are doing.

Thanks for that Mike---my eyes glaze over trying to track all the designations that Sage uses for these rods so I wasn't sure how the 9'6" compared to the 10'6" other then length. So, does anyone know what the "CT" designation means? Based on the pics I've seen, the rod I just picked up is the green blank (not delivered yet). My current 3106 that I've had for 8 or 9 seasons is the older brown blank--are they basically the samer rod ?

Same graphite, same taper same rod....different color. The green CT was the casting designation I believe.....the blue ones were the SA were the saltwater ones.....they are all the same blanks though just different colors. Confused yet?

I believe it stands for casting trigger as their factory baitcasters are usually tied with these. I have a CT 3106 tied up as a downrigger moocher. The CT and SA are the same blank as the older brown. The new GSH browns are not the same as the old browns and i find they have slower action and are more noodly. It’s a dangerous expensive rabbit hole to figure out by owning all of them….You have the right one.

This is what Brian Babcock has to say about brown-blue-green sages.....

You may have stated this "numerous times" but you're still wrong. Not sure who you spoke to at Sage but I was actually there when the decision to change the colour was made. Can I say this any clearer - THE NEW GREEN BLANKS ARE NOT A HIGHER MODULUS GRAPHITE!! They are identical to the most recent brown blanks in everything except colour and logo. Trust me. It was my baby. Here's how a few cross-over:

Brown GSH3113M = Green CP3113M = Green CT3113M
Brown GSH4110 = Green CT4110 = Blue SA4110
Brown GSH2106 = Green CT2106
Brown GSH3106L = Green CP3106L
Brown Glll 290 = Green CT290F ***Note this is Glll material both brown and green***

So any of the brown "GSH" models used Gl graphite and they now come out as green (or blue for the SA's) with the CT, CP, or SA designation followed by the model number. Any of the brown Glll models (286,290,296,386,390,396) used Glll (higher modulus) graphite and they now come out as green CT(model number)(letter F).

Where someone answering the phones at Sage may be mistaken is assuming that we went to all Glll with the colour change. We did not! Any of the "new" green blanks that don't have the letter "F" attached are still using Gl graphite. To further emphasize this point, I am currently waiting for Sage to run a large order of Gear blanks and it is being delayed because Sage doesn't have enough Gl in stock. These are the only rods they use that graphite on.

I really can't say any more on this. I'm sure there will be some that refuse to believe what I'm saying even though I was Sage's Product Manager for Gear when all this occurred. It's obviously a conspiracy on my part to fool everyone into thinking that Sage is still using the same technology as they did 20 years ago! Would that make any sense???

Brian Babcock

I was definitely confused and I previously read this same post. 😂. I think my confusion was the older brown blanks Ive seen were not designated as GSH and I’ve never seen a GSH 3106 (only L’s and 3113m or l) but I’m guessing that’s because I only started fishing and buying sage rods in the last 5 years. I guess a GSH 3106 blank goes on my unicorn search list now with the Yamashita “big ugly aurora hoochie” and matte black or all clear TR3.

Thanks for the Babcock translation, Mike

"CT" = casting trigger--nice to finally know what that designation means! Thanks for the translation, Buddha.... meanwhile, I Just went back through my pictures and I see that my current 3106 does not have that casting trigger

I'm thinking I'll probably cut the reel seat off and replace it when I get that green 3106... not sure I want that trigger, especially for the reel I use.
The brass seat is long won't fit under the hoods anyway

950A5E51-B7F2-4245-B035-4622349B6E88.jpeg

ha ha funny you should ask---I've come close but that reel weighs almost 2 kgs so it makes for good ballast......I don't usually let the rod sit on the seat exposed like that, though...usually the handle is tucked between the gunnel and the edge of the seat and I'm back there paying at least some attention....I left it unattended to get that shot of Ivory....how often do you get flat water like that on the Ivory shoals? Usually Im doing laps around the rosary beads when my boat is in that part of MiIlbanke

Thanks for the Babcock translation, Mike

"CT" = casting trigger--nice to finally know what that designation means! Thanks for the translation, Buddha.... meanwhile, I Just went back through my pictures and I see that my current 3106 does not have that casting trigger

I'm thinking I'll probably cut the reel seat off and replace it when I get that green 3106... not sure I want that trigger, especially for the reel I use.
The brass seat is long won't fit under the hoods anyway

View attachment 100205
I love fishing that spot as well as Cape Swain.

A guide friend of mine years ago told me you can't break a Sage 3106 rod. I keep trying but I think he might be right....

I've tried, 3106 and 4110 have not broken but been abused. I fell down a hill on the Thompson and broke my 4120......I also did in a 3113 slapping the tip in the water really hard....

Back