Sad News

porcupine

I was down at Island Outfitters this morning when they got the news that well known fishing guide Corey Hayes had passed away while on a trip to Australia. He had landed a 750 Marlin in the afternoon and when they wnet to wake him up the next morning they found that he had died. He was 38 years old. Very sad.

Corey was a friend of mine through high school.This was a man who was born to live on the ocean.Still in shock as when I saw him 1 1/2 months ago he looked in great shape!
At least he died doing what he loved best-fishing.
I will miss him!
Hooch

Very sad to hear, saw him pretty much everyday on the water during the summer. One thing is certain, one of the best fisherman out on the water, and I truely respected him for that, I wish I could of told him that.

That is really sad. Although I could not think of a better way to go. I wish him a safe trip to the other side...I hope there is fishing in the afterlife. RIP.

I fished alongside him for years and have been on courses with him.
He was a great guy and I will miss him. Tight lines my friend.

...to say that he will be missed is an understatement for the family and folks who were close to him. Corey enjoyed his career path and lifes passion for fishing - he was far too young...

My heart felt condolences to Corey's family and close friends and other people that have had the fortune to share in part of his time - words can not alone express how sorry I am to hear of this news.

He will forever be remembered...

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my little brother.

35 is much too young to die, but we, his family have been helped by knowing that his life was filled with friends and fellow fishermen who will miss him. He touched many lives and that is no small legacy.

He died without pain or fear, fast asleep a few hours after landing a monster marlin. We can't think of a more appropriate last day for one who lived and breathed fishing from the time he was old enough to bait a hook.

Thank you again, and I will be making sure that your thoughts here are relayed to my parents.

Susan

I am an aunt of Corey's girlfriend. After 26 years of being in each others lives, they realized just how much they were soul mates with a great love for each other. Corey never once came to Victoria without visiting with her and her family and always brought fresh fish.Her family went on several fishing vacations with him.The only reason they never lived together was that they each had their own business, his in Port Hardy and hers in Victoria. They had been discussing their future together and had some great plans. Too bad they can't complete them. He will be sorely missed.

The funeral for Corey will be held at Saanichton Fair grounds on the 28 Nov. @ 2:00. All are invited to bring your stories to share.

The funeral for Corey will be held at Saanichton Fair grounds on the 28 Nov. @ 2:00. All are invited to bring your stories to share.

That's so sad. :( Wish I could of got to know him better. It most definitely will not be the same out on the waters of Port Hardy this summer......:(

That's so sad. :( Wish I could of got to know him better. It most definitely will not be the same out on the waters of Port Hardy this summer......:(

Heart felt condolences from the dogs pack... Far to young, what a shame...

Heart felt condolences from the dogs pack... Far to young, what a shame...

Back