Sable Fish

Robbie-D

Has anyone ever fished for sable in the straight ? I’ve heard that there is a commercial fishery , but I can’t say I’ve heard of a sporty fishing for them.

I have heard of Black Cod (Sablefish) being caught in the Strait in recent years. Smaller, younger fish... which makes you wonder if the Salish Sea is a feeding area for the early life history of this species. Adults are generally caught in very deep water off the coast.

I've caught Sable Fish in Hakai Pass, Esperanza and Nootka. Usually they are a small and become a pest when salmon fishing.
If you catch one with any size, bonk it. They can be fairly tasty. Good for Hali bait too...

They used to fish them out of French Creek in the 70's using traps. There were lots around in September but they were small, like 1-2 pounders. They all taste great.

There is a trap fishery for something in the straight, usually 700+ feet. I've seen them setting their gear and the buoys. I always assumed that was for sablefish... Not sure what else they would be fishing for?

Folks were catching easy limits off port renfrew swiftsure area last summer up to 4-5 pounds. As a juvenile they are pretty high up in the water and catch able but they migrate down to deep depths when they mature and thats where commercial fisheries long line and trap for them

There is a trap fishery for something in the straight, usually 700+ feet. I've seen them setting their gear and the buoys. I always assumed that was for sablefish... Not sure what else they would be fishing for?
Guys longline Dogfish in the SOG but I’m not sure about that deep

Folks were catching easy limits off port renfrew swiftsure area last summer up to 4-5 pounds. As a juvenile they are pretty high up in the water and catch able but they migrate down to deep depths when they mature and thats where commercial fisheries long line and trap for them
They were thick in July and Part of August at Swiftsure while Hali fishing for sure. We didn’t catch any trolling but we weren’t as deep either. We kept a few bigger ones and they were good eats for sure.

Sounds about right, this is sorta the same info I’ve heard rumour of also heard they trap fishing them in 1800-2000 foot of water lol

They definitely trap them in 2000+ feet of water so not many guys going to target them sports fishing. There is a member who was fishing 1000+ for them in the Queen Charlotte area. Lots of weight and lots of line.

They definitely trap them in 2000+ feet of water so not many guys going to target them sports fishing. There is a member who was fishing 1000+ for them in the Queen Charlotte area. Lots of weight and lots of line.
ILGH. Check out his Haida Gwai fishing reports. Made me wanna do it.....
Electric reels needed for sure!

We have got them to 8 lbs on the 600ft northern wall at Clayoquot canyon

Reactions: RBL
There's an episode of Reel West Coast in Alaska where they fish for black cod. At 1500 feet!

I target them as a sport fishery & love doing it. I would definitely recommend an electric reel. If you see anywhere that commercial guys are fishing for them then the hard part of location is all ready done.

I have found that having LED lights makes a massive difference in hook ups.
Try a spreader bar, with max weight allowed. Then attach a smaller (4-6") lighthouse lure LED squid with a chunk of salmon belly. Use your motor to back troll so you can control your drift to ~0.25 - 0.5 mph. Keep tapping bottom every few waves & you are in the money.

I find you have to be over 1,500' with muddy bottoms.

A warning, its addictive. I love exploring the depths. You Honestly never know what you will pull up. I helped a friend out of Rupert with it and he was catching Halibut with his sable fish at 1,700'. Lots of nice sized halibut down at those depths.

I fished black cod commercially with traps in the 1980's at depths down to 5000 feet. We fished all the canyons from Barkley right up to the top of the Queen Charlottes. Our gear would start in 1000 feet and we would set along the edges and sometimes right down the bottom of the canyon out into the deep water. Interesting fish. They will eat pretty much anything including all our table scraps like pork chop bones, corn cobs etc

I fished black cod commercially with traps in the 1980's at depths down to 5000 feet. We fished all the canyons from Barkley right up to the top of the Queen Charlottes. Our gear would start in 1000 feet and we would set along the edges and sometimes right down the bottom of the canyon out into the deep water. Interesting fish. They will eat pretty much anything including all our table scraps like pork chop bones, corn cobs etc

you guys ever encounter skilfish? Almost identical to a black cod but get up 150lbs plus.

you guys ever encounter skilfish? Almost identical to a black cod but get up 150lbs plus.

I would love one. I have seen pics. Such a cool fish

I have never caught one. The tunnels on the traps tend to limit fish size with the exception of the odd larger halibut that would force itself into the trap. I only trap fished for 1 year and longlined a few others but we fished shallower with the longlines. Fine balance longlining to get deep enough and stay away from halibut and yellow eyes. Wasn't my favorite fishery. Lots of fishing in poor weather and large seas.

So, I know you must have done considerable research before you got your electric reels. What did you end up buying and how do you like them?

I own 2 different models of electric reels.

The first one I bought is a Daiwa tanacom 1000. This is a great low cost electric reel that gets the job done. I ordered mine off Ebay from Japan & it was the cheapest I could find it for.

I maxed out around 2,000' if memory is correct & I wanted to search deeper. After lots of research I went with the Lamborghini of sportfishing electric reels.

I bought a shimano beastmaster 9000. It holds 4,600' of line and is FAST. Males a huge difference with checking bait or moving spots. It also has a ton of torque. East coast folks use them for 400lb swordfish. Its pricey though.

I can Honestly say the diawa will get the job done the same. The shimano is like a red sports car.

Back