Saanich Inlet Herring Run...

Andrew P

Hey Guys,

With the rec prawn opening in Saanich Inlet on the 1st, I figured there would be a good amount of eye balls on the water to help track the herring spawn(should it show). The last good spawn, that I have been made aware of, occurred in 2012 with heavy spawning in Deep Cove and along the headlands between Deep Cove all the way in to Coles Bay. There were probably a lot of other sites, but those were the ones we witnessed. March 31st, was the day that it started in 2012 in Deep Cove so it could be any day.

Please post any accounts that you see of any activity; milky water, birds, sea lions, etc.

As part of a DNA study that is happening we would also like to get a hold of any samples(fin clippings, eggs, etc) so if anyone has any success jigging. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Andrew

Hey Andrew - any info on why last year was a flop?

really tough to say. My hunch is that either the timing was way out of the normal range, which is a bit unlikely, or they chose a different location for some reason. Another through is that they may have spawned up on Saltspring Island, which did receive a good spawn.

Fingers cross and ears and eyes open!!

Hey Andrew... sent you a PM a while back. I was on the inlet on Monday and on the previous Monday. No sign yet

Buddy put a brand new merc on his boat so we took it for a spin this am from halls to mill bay. On the way back saw a huge ball surfacing in finlayson. We stopped and watched it for 10 minutes, wishing we had some jigs :(
Anyway was definitely herring and we never spotted any seals or lions.

On a side note, anyone know what that big yellow steel thing is anchored between Bamberton and mill bay out in the middle?

It is a water column instrument array as part of the venus program. It is connected to the node in Pat Bay

http://venus.uvic.ca/tag/buoy-profiling-system/

Buddy put a brand new merc on his boat so we took it for a spin this am from halls to mill bay. On the way back saw a huge ball surfacing in finlayson. We stopped and watched it for 10 minutes, wishing we had some jigs :(

On a side note, anyone know what that big yellow steel thing is anchored between Bamberton and mill bay out in the middle?

Thanks for the heads up. I may have to go take a look tomorrow. Thanks.

Dave S, my son Jasper and I headed out to Saanich Inlet yesterday to see if we could find some herring. We covered pretty much the whole inlet and am happy to report that we did find herring. We found them up Finlayson Arm as Gear'n'Beer suggested. They were scattered across the surface from one side of the inlet to th other by Christmas Point. We tried to catch some for DNA samples(and hali bait) on herring jigs but they were not interested. Quite frustrating to have them surfacing all around and nothing biting.

All in all a successful trip and happy to see them here this year.

We saw them right at the power lines, hoping to get into some if I get out prawning in the near future. Kinda surprising you couldn't jig any up

great news, would be awesome if they spawn deep in the inlet. Maybe some will stick around and attract some salmon in.

I live on the inlet, I haven't fished for a long time...but I have see lots of fish moving around this year. Be cool to see come back a bit.

Seals must eating something when they are making all that noise at night.

With there being herring in Saanich Inlet does that imply winter springs & halibut there as well? (assuming they follow the feed)

Just moved my boat to Christmas point (mother-inlaws dock) but have always found saanich inlet to a bit dead for winter springs. Never heard of halibut fishing in there either although it is really damn deep.

took a look for you today from mill bay to bamberton. didn,t see any sign

there's feeders, just not many - don't think you'll find any halibut though.

taqare9y.jpg

I think that's a halibut in my crab trap in the inlet. Makes me want to give it a shot.

Anyone who tries please PM me the results if I inspired your trip with this picture of a true saanich inlet hog.

sure that's not a sole or flounder?

But hey I know a commercial crabber who gets chickens in his trap in very odd places, so you never know.

taqare9y.jpg

I think that's a halibut in my crab trap in the inlet. Makes me want to give it a shot.

Anyone who tries please PM me the results if I inspired your trip with this picture of a true saanich inlet hog.

Too bad you had to use one of your six/yr limit on such a little guy. lol

Back