Rust

tailout

Has any one have had luck with removeing rust stains from fiberglass [ in side the boat]

thanks Rick

Hey Rick vim works really well!!!!

Wolf

hydrochloric acid is your answer, it removes it. main ingrendient in Vim. id use tolite bowl cleaner, "clean flush" or even rust-B-gone. they all have that acid that removes it.just dont use to much or;)

I doubt that hydrochloric acid is in Vim mongoose, that acid will eat through aluminum and every thing else it touches I have used it for cleaning out carbs and marine/auto parts but for very little time then wash very quickly with water.

Dont put that on any boat but for you go ahead. see what happenmake sure to leave it on too;)[B)][B)]

Wolf

thanks for the reply guys .Boats comeing home tomorrow .[ofter a fish of coarse]

Mongoose If you have never tried something and is proved by yourself first hand dont come on here suggesting things as there is a lot of people who seek advice on things on this forum, People want to know what works and doesnt work I am sure you dont want people mad at you at your tender age of 16 thanks!!!!!

Wolf

I bought some marine hull cleaner to remove barnicals and sea growth and one of its ingredients is hydrochloric acid, works similiar to muriatic acid and eats calcium. Nasty stuff but it disolves the scraped off barnicles in a few minute and you just wipe it off but use it sparingly and rinse everything off right away. For the rust, I used some oxidation polishing compound by hand and with an electric buffer and it will remove the rust, just seal the gelcoat back up with a finisher or wax.

also, here is a link regarding acid cleaners fyi
http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=157&Itemid=49

try mr clean magic sponges litttle water little elbow grease
non toxic and cheap a couple of sponges about 5 bucks

Janitors Wharehouse , look for urinal cleaner , 22% HCL ,use rubber gloves and wear eye protection , it is strong and effective , and ...yes Wolf I have personally used it , but you must be quick on rust stains as they develop , let them set in and you are realistically facing removing a layer of surface film to attack the stain.

Regards

AL

LOL yes I know but I sure wouldnt use it straight like some one said here I have seen what it did to alumn. and it was only on it for about 1 min and it ate a hole right through it thats all I am saying.

Wolf

lol. i didnt mean 100%HCL and i never said use it pure. [8D] just messing with you

In case you haven't noticed this a forum for the exchange of information and guidance , "just messing" with people is downright foolish , to garner respect requires you to act in a manner which will build that reliance on your experience not hearsay !

Al

We used to use a toilet cleaning product called Vanisol to clean the 80' fibreglass boat I used to comm. fish on. Very effective. I believe it is a muriatic acid.

quote:Originally posted by tubber

We used to use a toilet cleaning product called Vanisol to clean the 80' fibreglass boat I used to comm. fish on. Very effective. I believe it is a muriatic acid.

isnt muriatic acid the stuff that eats barnicles and calcium?

Mongoose, you've brought up a good discussion with hydrochloric acid as it is in a few cleaning products including boat cleaners. Muriatic acid is the same as hydrochloric acid, they dilute it down with water and market it as muriatic acid but otherwise it is the same product. Muriatic acid is used for cleaning and etching concrete also so it is very effective in disolving calcium (barnicles) and organics. Any agressive cleaning of the gelcoat should be followed up with finisher and wax to seal it back up.

Cheers

Back