Running a motor tilted up

jaymasta

Hey, I’ve got my boat moored for a month and I’m just curious if I can put the muffs on my kicker and flush it out after I’ve used it. It’s a 2000 9.9hp Yamaha 4 stroke. My concern would be the internals getting proper lubrication sitting at the 45deg angle or so that it is tilted up at to get it out of the salt.

I wouldn't recommend that. Does your motor not have a flush attachment on its starboard side (just below the cowling)? I'm not sure when Yamaha started putting them on their motors but all their recent motors have them which allows flushing without running the motor.

If the muffs fit tight and you have decent water pressure, you should be able to drop it down in the saltwater and run it, without drawing in too much saltwater it any?

If the muffs fit tight and you have decent water pressure, you should be able to drop it down in the saltwater and run it, without drawing in too much saltwater it any?

yes this can work just taste the water coming out of the tell tale after a few mins.

Try some Salt Away, or Salt Terminator, etc.

I’ve heard flushing with white vinegar is just as good and 100th the cost, this is something I will try after I pull my boat from the marina though

I do this all the time with my Honda.....put the muffs on and fire her up in vertical position, then tilt just enough so the intake grids are above the salt water. If it coughs from fuel starvation just lower it a bit, then raise back up. As long as it's pissing you're good

Back