rope winch as a pot hauler?

depthfinder

Hey Guys,

im looking at these capstan rope winches. I see the application for hunting from the videos but wonder if anyone on here has used it in a boating/fishing application. thinking to get my boat unstuck but also maybe pulling up my crab traps.

anyone used this before?

For about $500 you can get a much less bulky trap puller from Scotty made from salt water specific materials. It fastens to your downrigger bases and uses its power outlet. Simples!

Agreed sk! But... it does depend on how much pull you need and how fast you need to pull it. The Scotty has ~100lb pull and rated as 140 feet/minute - but slows way down as you get towards the end of the rated pull. The Brutus pulls about the same weight (@85-140 feet/minute). If you have a deep string of prawn gear - as an example - basically both haulers become an "assist" - rather than a haul. So - if you are pulling more than 100lbs - reconsider your needs wrt haulers. Yes - those gas-powered capstans are 2-3 times the cost of an electric one - but they pull 15-25 times the weight of the electric haulers. So it depends upon your need...

Hi and thanks for the responses.

My main reason for the gas powered option rather that the Scotty type of trap puller was that i liked the idea of the power source being self contained rather than using the power from the boat and i also wanted to be able to anchor from outside of the boat for pulling off sand bars or winching up onto the beach.

Thanks for the help.

Back