Rodgers Lodge Guide Boats

KANOOK

Back from 3 days fishing at Esperanza.
Do these clowns from Rodgers have a clue about a long running rule that the right hand rod has the shore line!
Fished Rosa and fairly large number of boats there. Well these so called Guides are cutting in and forcing boats to the outside giving them left hand rod to the shore.
Not to long and what a gong show with boats going every witch way. Good thing not a lot of big fish hooked or there would be a real mess.
Any opinions out there on right hand rod gets the shore?
Any way a good trip as we got out of that mess and went to a less cluttered area and had great success along with the few other boats there.
Every one did well and fun by all.

Cheers Kanook.

To the clowns at Rodgers THINK ABOUT IT!!
Its not all about you!!

HA! ever since i moved to Sooke ive been dealing with this issue, seems like nobody on the water out here has any etiquette....I always give right rod to shore, but never seem to get it in return, i have to fight my way inside....

It depends on the depths being fished. I will follow "Right Rod Rule" most of the time. If someone else is fishing deeper than I am, I will take the shallow line instead of the less desirable deeper water.

Just like Duval boats I'm sick of them and will raise my gear and put them into shallow water so they will lose balls and or gear till they understand. It's not there fault though there not guides there self guided boats and if the lodge doesn't teach them the who will. Was a little bit better this year but then again I didn't see to many of there boats out.

There is no rule anywhere on this. In fact some guides are told to be aggressive to ensure they are fishing the best water for their clients.

To be real... Both boats are to turn to starboard at anytime to avoid collision. So if your right/starboard side is to the rocks the other boat should steer away from you.

There is no rule anywhere on this. In fact some guides are told to be aggressive to ensure they are fishing the best water for their clients.

rule or not, its a little thing called etiquette, just like veering away from a guy with a fish on, or not straffing people fishing with there lines down. I use to guide at painters and learned very quickly etiquette and unwritten rules of the road...

rule or not, its a little thing called etiquette, just like veering away from a guy with a fish on, or not straffing people fishing with there lines down. I use to guide at painters and learned very quickly etiquette and unwritten rules of the road...
The guy with the fish on should be attempting to get out of the pack and or staying on top of his or her fish.

Etiquette and Painters in the same post thought I'd never see that as long as I was alive..... Hahahahahaha

Yup. And I can rememeber a few yrs back in Nootka when a good friend of mine had enough of being cut off (lost a fish to being cut off)by a guide. So down went his riggers(minus the lines attached) then rite over top guides lines and proceeded to cut his gear off ....ahh the good old? days in Nootka...

this is it, guides are there working and are willing to **** off a fellow fishermen to stay in the pocket. Many will just turn their back to oncoming boats and make them get out of their way, its an old guide trick.

I am relatively new to salt water fishing, so forgive me if I seem a bit naive of this. But what you guys are discussing is a modified "keep to the right" rule I think? That is if two trolling boats approach, the boat with their right hand (starboard) rod pointing to shore stays inshore, and the boat with their right hand rod pointing offshore moves to the deeper water, ensuring the boats pass each other keeping to the right. Are there other lines of course where this etiquette somes into play?

It also depends what the tide is doing. The right rod to the rock rule works if the particular tide is optimum at that spot on that particular day to favor a starboard tack against the shore. If the particular tide for that day and that coastal rock formation favors left rod to the rock, then this rule applies.

I typically use this approach when there are no other boats in sight--- once I broker a deal with the rock wall I'm trying to fish, we honor the rules accordingly. If someone comes along and insists on applying a different set of rules, I pack up and leave and find another rock wall to negotiate with.

They very much do have a clue... they just don't care.

Rodger's Resort Guides own the water just like any other guide or commercial fisherman (really, what's the difference between a guide and a commercial fisherman?). They are there for income you are there for fun so you get to move while they get to go where they want. Boating rules? Long running rules? Not for them... must be someone else's rules.

Pretty much they dare you to play by their rules... either jump in and enjoy the constant game of chicken or move off and have find less crowded ways of catching a few.

According to the boaters' guide:

When Meeting Port-to-port: Continue on course. The same holds true for meeting starboard-to-starboard.

When Meeting Head On: As in a car, both stay to your right and as far apart as practical. Each boat should turn to starboard and pass port-to-port.

There are lots of guides that follow boating rules and etiquette, it's not fair to paint them with the same brush and to lump all of them in with the commercial sector.

Not in the Nootka - Esperanza region they don't.

Don't get me wrong about commercial fishers... plenty of decent folk trying to make a living commercial fishing. I just can't buy the argument that guides are somehow different because they carry people fishing with rod and reel. Fishing for income is fishing for income no matter how its done.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I have shore on starboard and I want the inside tack and have trolled to the back of the line to get set up for that tack....if I really want it I will set up on a depth of water with my gear set appropriately and hold that line. If someone who knows the rule wants to play chicken...i won't veer off....it is my turn. Like what was said before if I'm fishing say the 70 foot line and someone passes on the inside on the 50 foot line....that is ok...it hasn't forced me off my preferred line. Basically the boats with shore on left can go which ever side they want...so long as they don't make the oncoming boat have to alter coarse. Otherwise stay on the outside...use the time to check your gear before you turn back and get your turn on the inside.

I just find a less busy area and sometimes catch more fish... lol. I don't fish the crowds in the rivers either. just not my thing. i fish to try to get rid of the stress of everyday life... haha. not add to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back