Rodgers Fishing Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the recreational sector needs is a professional lobbyist, (ready lawyer) savvy with environmental and contract law, backed by several HUNDRED thousand $ per year of support for class action suits, travel, negotiation and media release. The problem has always been whos pays for it? I would suspect that if there were a way to add an additional 1 dollar to every Pacific sw license, we could support that, but how to raise, account and retain that money from a Federal license. I also suspect that this is the last thing the feds would want. That is the level of organization and influence that is required to fight our "keepers" (DFO and the commie owners who pull their puppet strings). All else falls on deaf ears like waves against the rocks.

This is exactly what I and many other anglers have felt needs to happen and this is what SVIAC's vision is to do! To become a unifying anglers coalition to lobby the Govt's for more fish and recreational angling access to fish.

To hire a lawyer and/or a lobbyist takes tens of thousands of dollars and the more members SVAIC has the faster and better we can make this happen. It is time for recreational anglers to stop arguing amongst ourselves and start really putting our money where our mouths are. If not, it will become here like it is on the East Coast where recreational angling is a mere shadow of what it used to be. The time for ACTION is NOW!

If there are 6300 members on this forum, then lets get more people to join SVIAC!!! The more that join the faster we can expand to other parts of the province and get all 2-300,000 recreational anglers and supporting and affiliated groups to come together to be a positive and powerful force for change!

Please consider being a part of the growing coalition and join up here: http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=235

Heck SVIAC is even building a membership benefits program so you can regain some, if not all of your annual membership fee, it is a win-win situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew guys that worked for Doug Rodgers when I was guiding in CR and never heard anything bad about him, but this is just wrong. I had looked at Rodgers this summer but think ill stick with moutcha. I'm going to make sure I let them know as I had received an email from them already regarding availability.

Just plain sad. Yanks will most likely be all over it though.
Not this yank! We're not all rich a-holes.;) Just some of us.

I received a reply regarding my cancelation and it is with regret that I will not be going to Rogers this year, for their decision to lease halibut quota.

While I don't support their decision the lodge is well setup and a fun place to go, not run down as reported before ( check your sources lippy). That's why the regret. They said that they felt dfo was backing them into a corner regarding the allocation situation and the new measuring requirements. This all makes a difficult fishery more difficult.

I received a reply regarding my cancelation and it is with regret that I will not be going to Rogers this year, for their decision to lease halibut quota.

While I don't support their decision the lodge is well setup and a fun place to go, not run down as reported before ( check your sources lippy). That's why the regret. They said that they felt dfo was backing them into a corner regarding the allocation situation and the new measuring requirements. This all makes a difficult fishery more difficult.

They could just stick with the rest of us instead of using that ******** line

I think a place like Rodgers would feel it much more than a regular lodge too, since they do a lot of bring your own boat stuff no?

You'd have to assume they will decide to change their decision and apologize to all of the clients who have cancelled and those who have emailed. I would be blown away if they come out on top financially from this seeing the reaction so far. Interesting to see what they do.....

The rest do care I am sure. But at times those certain 15 people that do speak up all the time hold others back from putting in their two cents. That's my thought.

According to number 8....... ;)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] not run down as reported before ( check your sources lippy).
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]That was tongue in cheek man... hence the smilies [/FONT];)

I cannot get behind their approach to this season though.......

ugh...thats all I have. I attempted to send a message to tripadvisor - will see if they allow it and that WOULD be an area many visitors will search for reviews (and I would be the first one..lol). Fingers crossed. Other than that, I kind of wonder if the mods would be willing to tag the list of lodges that accept this program (a blacklist of sorts) - would be helpful to people looking for resorts to stay at if the idea repulses them as well.

ugh...thats all I have. I attempted to send a message to tripadvisor - will see if they allow it and that WOULD be an area many visitors will search for reviews (and I would be the first one..lol). Fingers crossed. Other than that, I kind of wonder if the mods would be willing to tag the list of lodges that accept this program (a blacklist of sorts) - would be helpful to people looking for resorts to stay at if the idea repulses them as well.
It's allowed. Thought about doing it yesterday. I Googled Rodgers Lodge and tried to see the top 10 links and how to put a message on them. We have not yet topped their own ad, soon I am sure we will.

It's allowed. Thought about doing it yesterday. I Googled Rodgers Lodge and tried to see the top 10 links and how to put a message on them. We have not yet topped their own ad, soon I am sure we will.
hope so - its a pretty damning post (but rationale and factual!) I'll fight with them if they reject it and try to justify.

I think Rogers has bigger problems as they are offering packages at 45% off regular price on their website.

Your looking at the early season discount which is what I had booked, I have no problem with Rogers as far as the facilities and atmosphere. I had booked to go back on the early deal again until the quota issue came up.

This I cannot accept.

One day last year at Rogers in my own boat the weather cleared and we got out for halibut. We came back and were cleaning our 30lber when the guides came in. Off the boats comes a 156lb, a 148lb and a 90 something lb halibut, the guys with 40's to 70's were just standing back watching kinda embarrassed with their puny catch.

That day can't happen this year for them or any other place, wtf.

Unless they pay the slipper skippers the new halibut tax.

I received a reply, as follows:

Hi Shane
Thanks for your email. I want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to email and I respect your opinion and comments. I think what is going to happen here once we get into the season and people start to realize the reality of these new halibut regulations, fishermen are going to quickly realize that they are totally unworkable in their present form. My feeling is that the DFO have unwittingly created an unmanageable monster of a problem here and it is going to come back and haunt them. These new regs are such a radical change from what we are used to and there are a lot of unanswered questions. It will be interesting to see the feedback after these new regs have had a chance to be tested. If it turns out that the new regs are working and the feedback is positive we will certainly dropped the idea of buying any quota........best regards.......Doug Rodgers

So, perhaps they will look at dropping the idea of buying quota. Time will tell. Sometimes you make a wrong decision, and although you can't go back and undo it you can change directions moving forward. Hopefully that is what will happen.

I received a reply, as follows:

Hi Shane
Thanks for your email. I want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to email and I respect your opinion and comments. I think what is going to happen here once we get into the season and people start to realize the reality of these new halibut regulations, fishermen are going to quickly realize that they are totally unworkable in their present form. My feeling is that the DFO have unwittingly created an unmanageable monster of a problem here and it is going to come back and haunt them. These new regs are such a radical change from what we are used to and there are a lot of unanswered questions. It will be interesting to see the feedback after these new regs have had a chance to be tested. If it turns out that the new regs are working and the feedback is positive we will certainly dropped the idea of buying any quota........best regards.......Doug Rodgers

So, perhaps they will look at dropping the idea of buying quota. Time will tell. Sometimes you make a wrong decision, and although you can't go back and undo it you can change directions moving forward. Hopefully that is what will happen.

I received the exact same email response as well. I also hope they change direction and concentrate their effort on putting an end to what is hurting us all rather than trying to work within it.

I fear they will not as I am quite certain the feedback will not be positive regarding the current regs and I fear more that we will be facing the worst news we have seen yet come next years IPHC meetings in Jan/Feb..That said and if it rings true I still will not accept anyone's decision to lease quota as being ok or the only way to make it work.

As some one who has been on the fence about joining the SVIAC I would very much like to hear what Chris has to say about SVIAC's plans for addressing this disgusting program DFO is pushing on us? More over,where dose this lie on the coalitions list of priorities?

I strongly feel (along with many others) that getting a handle on this "ITQ" BS is the single most important issue we face right now.From a non environmental standpoint it alone has more potential to reduce and remove our access to our common property resource than any thing else. If people/businesses start buying in to this lease program it will weld the locks shut on many of the doors we can barely see the light through now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back