Rod tension

dennisb

Just curious what’s everyone’s thought on how tight to load up your rods on the DR clip. Only reason I ask is I noticed last week at Nootka lots of guys troll with what seems like very little tension on the rods. Just seems like the hook up ratio decreases without the rod bent over with a lot of tension.

Just curious what’s everyone’s thought on how tight to load up your rods on the DR clip. Only reason I ask is I noticed last week at Nootka lots of guys troll with what seems like very little tension on the rods. Just seems like the hook up ratio decreases without the rod bent over with a lot of tension.
Absolutely pinned, drag locked, clip buried. That's how I roll anyway.

Same here. Locked and loaded and ready to rock.

I'm still toying with drag settings. I'm just on Shimano GT's right now. I find to get the rod loaded the way I want like most earlier comments, the drag needs to be pretty tight to not creep. I usually tighten it way down then ease it back slowly until it starts to creep, and then tighten one or two clicks. But any bit of change in speed or current can start it creeping again. Maybe I am over thinking it, but I figure having the drag too tight on the initial hit increases chances of a breakoff, especially with braid.

But yeah, like everyone else I like a nice tight bend in the rod if I can achieve it.

I’m a tight dragged, corked over kinda guy myself; but one of the fishiest guys i know ( who also guides in haida gwaii) has his rod tips almost straight up in the air and he checks line tension with two fingers. if the reel won’t pay line out pulling with two fingers it’s too tight. they fish a lot of cut plug up there so they want the big boys to be able to swim away with the bait under zero tension.

he applies the same mentality when he’s home and he still does well.

Not too tight, medium flex rods arc really easy though. I check my lines every 10-15 minutes for crap, so creep doesn’t play into it, and is over debated. Watch your reels and wind down now n then if needed. I want the fish to be able to run if need be. Distance from the clip also affects the arc, that changes for certain species. No need to bury the line in the clip either.

I’m a tight dragged, corked over kinda guy myself; but one of the fishiest guys i know ( who also guides in haida gwaii) has his rod tips almost straight up in the air and he checks line tension with two fingers. if the reel won’t pay line out pulling with two fingers it’s too tight. they fish a lot of cut plug up there so they want the big boys to be able to swim away with the bait under zero tension.

he applies the same mentality when he’s home and he still does well.
Certainly this is a bit different, I do the same for the coho rod out the back (not on dr) drag so loose that the 6oz weight is a C hair from pulling line. Dr tight to the water and drag as finely tightened as possible, with likely loosening when a fish is on. I only get a couple trips a year to the chuck and learned my lesson the hard way with tight drags

I fish with guys that release a tight drag too much or too little with a fish on. For the most part they are terrible palming the reel. I do not fish deep very often usually less than 100' so no problem with line creep.. I set the drag on the reels to the drag I want fighting the fish. I have MR2's. I keep all hooks stickey sharp. Rod goes off and who ever picks it up just fights the fish. Only time we might tighten the drag a little during the fight is if we have a screeemer. I set the line deep into the clip. I do not reset the hook when I pick up the rod.

I think a lot of it depends on the reel that you’re using as well. If you got a creeper, I find the drag is set tighter. Ever since I got my tr3s, I set the drag so I can move the downrigger up and down if I need to without having to touch the drag. When I set, I reel down until the rod doesn’t return back up after the reel down to take up the slack. It’s different if I’m using level winds with braid though.

I'm still toying with drag settings. I'm just on Shimano GT's right now. I find to get the rod loaded the way I want like most earlier comments, the drag needs to be pretty tight to not creep. I usually tighten it way down then ease it back slowly until it starts to creep, and then tighten one or two clicks. But any bit of change in speed or current can start it creeping again. Maybe I am over thinking it, but I figure having the drag too tight on the initial hit increases chances of a breakoff, especially with braid.

But yeah, like everyone else I like a nice tight bend in the rod if I can achieve it.
All I do is put a quick release connected to the rod holder on the line as it comes out of the reel. Then I can set the drag where I want it to fight the fish ahead of time and no line creep

Back