Rod Recommendation

"and those 1:1 'things' that hang under them"

I want fish in the boat too - but the pleasure of the experience with a knuckle buster far outweighs the ease and efficiency of the level wind. This is my opinion only. Also pennel you can have a rod wrapped for your wife with the Roberts Wrap. Google it. The level wind reel is on top but the guides are wrapped in a manner that each one rolls farther around the blank so the last few are under the rod toward the water. It keeps the rod from twisting under load. I have wrapped my halibut rods this way. use the money from the Mr3 sale and you will be loved.

Hopefully, I won't get trashed too loudly for being from 'down South of the boarder', but in the 35 years that my wife and I have been fishing the Island, we never could understand your preference for 11+' soft rods and those 1:1 'things' that hang under them. We always thought the idea was to put fish in the boat, but I digress.
It seems more sporting to play a fish on a single-action mooching reel. I personally feel way more connected to the fish when the reel kicks into reverse and screams as the fish peels off. If your goal is to land and kill the most salmon - without having to worry about pesky things like proper tension, letting it run, the bend in the rod - then setting your levelwind drag and cranking nonstop until the fish is alongside the boat is probably the best way. But why stop there? Just slap a hoochie flasher rig on your downrigger and twist the black ring when the arm bounces.

If she wants a drag system and your worried about the wobble get into some nice spincast reels. I know they aren’t popular on the west coast but they make some darn fine saltwater spinning reels. They are quite popular with southern saltwater fisherman. Spincasts run some of the finest drag systems on the market. Thats about all we run for walleye and pike out here. Of course you want to go bigger and saltwater for your application but like I say they make some of the finest reels there is to be had in spincast design.

I can second the spincast. I have a Penn Clash 5000 that my son uses to jig rockfish & lings. Last season I used it to pull streamers in the prop wash for coho & man is that reel impressive. Its perfect for kids & anyone who has problems with the rod twisting. Its crazy to see that spool scream when salmon hits it. The carbon fiber drag holds up nicely as well.

Back