Rod Recommendation

pennel

The wife doesn't like islander reels, so am going to get rid of them and replace them with lever drag trolling
reels.
What I am looking at are shorter rods ( currently have 10'6 mooching rods) that are probably a bit more manageable for her.
Anybody got any suggestion based on their own experience?
Thanks.

I have a few 9 foot ugly sticks great little rods, good value, use them in combo with Shimano TR200 charter specials lever drags. I sent you pm

https://www.lamiglas.com/collection...mon-troll-plug-downrigger?variant=58876083083

None better and cheap at Bass Pro I bought two more last year-be sure to get the ones with a trigger edit-because they are of a diameter to fit a smaller hand the 'mooching' style is thicker.

As to reels the Shimano Charter special in the 1000 size would be more manageable for her put the 300 yards of 50# spectra and then fill with mono topshot.

A Shimano Tekota 500 is a better reel but pricier being made of metal again no need for too large a size.

Last edited:
I can't see changing what you have to make it easier for the wife.Placing the reel on top of the rod will give it the "death wobble",she'll hate it.Let her try one before changing over.She would probably be happier with a shorter rod and a conventional reel with big handles (like a Shimano 4000).

The wife doesn't like islander reels, so am going to get rid of them and replace them with lever drag trolling
reels.
What I am looking at are shorter rods ( currently have 10'6 mooching rods) that are probably a bit more manageable for her.
Anybody got any suggestion based on their own experience?
Thanks.

Like this comment below if you would just get rid of your wife and keep the islanders.

I can't see changing what you have to make it easier for the wife.Placing the reel on top of the rod will give it the "death wobble",she'll hate it.Let her try one before changing over.She would probably be happier with a shorter rod and a conventional reel with big handles (like a Shimano 4000).
I would agree. I even got my wife a belt to lock her Penn Squall into to avoid the death twist but she still said she prefers the islanders. I'm in the market for a red mr2 for her actually.

I started this thread because I am interested in getting a rod for my wife and therefore wanted opinions from you guys (thanks).
However, a couple of you seem to be interested in islander reels which to me at the time is a bit of a sideshow.
Well, having discussed it with my wife she has strongly advised me that it would be in my own interest to keep her and get rid of the reels.
So based on that advice I am going to sell one for 400.
Both reels( blue and in good condition) are identical, no dings and have a line on them, come with a neoprene pouch.

I started this thread because I am interested in getting a rod for my wife and therefore wanted opinions from you guys (thanks).
However, a couple of you seem to be interested in islander reels which to me at the time is a bit of a sideshow.
Well, having discussed it with my wife she has strongly advised me that it would be in my own interest to keep her and get rid of the reels.
So based on that advice I am going to sell one for 400.
Both reels( blue and in good condition) are identical, no dings and have a line on them, come with a neoprene pouch.
What model?

A Shimano Calcutta 400 would work well too again not too big a size-pricey but not as pricey as an Islander

Shimano-CTB-2T.jpg

Hopefully, I won't get trashed too loudly for being from 'down South of the boarder', but in the 35 years that my wife and I have been fishing the Island, we never could understand your preference for 11+' soft rods and those 1:1 'things' that hang under them. We always thought the idea was to put fish in the boat, but I digress. We would strongly suggest taking a look at the Okuma Guide Select Casting Rod in either the 9'0" GSC-C-902MH-CG Medium Action or the 9'3" GSC-C-932H-CG Heavy Action with a Shimano 200GTB spooled with either 50# or 65# Power Pro. The 200GTB is a nice step up (more bearings) from the 200B, but that one would be fine too. Total about $400.00 CDN. Both my wife and I love them and have fished with them for years. I think a 200 series round reel has plenty of capacity spooled with Spectra and the size will fit very well in your wife's hand. They also come with left hand crank if you so desire. The Okuma's have responsive tips that load really well on the downrigger and have incredible power in the midsection when you want to pressure the fish to the boat. We use 4 of the 9'0" in the Alberni Inlet for Sockeye and 4 of the 9'3" off of the WCVI catching our Columbia River Springs and Coho. By the way, don't let anyone talk you down into the Okuma SST models to save $40.00. They are reallllllllllllllly soft. We couldn't pressure or control the fish at all and we both hated them. Our little Whaler, Tuna Maru, will be in Ucluelet at Islands West the middle two weeks of July fishing outfront and Cree. Either you or your wife should come take a ride and fish with them. I think you'll both be impressed. Please feel free if you have any questions. Jean

Back