Rivers info

Sr SQ

Planning on a boat ride up to rivers/shearwater area again this year and wondered if any of you have any info you can share regarding dates and fishing reports.

Thru all my searching the archives of the forum there really been much discussions of the area over the last few years, most was back 3+ seasons

Made the trip up 2 years ago the 2/3week of aug and worked hard for 1-2 nice size springs per day, not interested in coho as I do a sept tofino coho trip.
Of course I heard the typical line "should heave been here last week, it was on fire"
Given the fact the fish migrate down in waves and every year is slightly different, if you were planing a trip to that area (excluding fishing the head of rivers) what would your pick of dates be?

TIA

Planning on a boat ride up to rivers/shearwater area again this year and wondered if any of you have any info you can share regarding dates and fishing reports.

Thru all my searching the archives of the forum there really been much discussions of the area over the last few years, most was back 3+ seasons

Made the trip up 2 years ago the 2/3week of aug and worked hard for 1-2 nice size springs per day, not interested in coho as I do a sept tofino coho trip.
Of course I heard the typical line "should heave been here last week, it was on fire"
Given the fact the fish migrate down in waves and every year is slightly different, if you were planing a trip to that area (excluding fishing the head of rivers) what would your pick of dates be?

TIA
My buddy and his friends are going up for their annual trip the first week of August. I believe that's when they always go. I'm hoping to also go this year. I've never been there before so I'm pretty stoked if I can pull it off. They go up for 10 days. If I go I may boat up from Port Hardy.
I just ordered a couple custom made cradle nets in case I can make the trip for catch and releasing those big beauties up there. My biggest Southern Spring landed is 42 lbs so I gotta pop that 50 lb cherry at some point in my life! :)
If I make the trip Sr SQ I'll keep you posted and maybe we might see you up there. They stay at Dawson's Landing. Sounds like they have a great time up there.

TIA

The timing all depends on the first big rain. This is the trigger that sends the fish to the rivers. We always went 1st or 2nd week in August. If you are early the fish are still there just not concentrated at the head. The wall can be productive. Hakai is a must see if you are out that way. Fishing the head first light with the sun rising and the morning mist on the water baileys and coffee in hand bacon sizzling in the pan. Priceless.

The timing all depends on the first big rain. This is the trigger that sends the fish to the rivers. We always went 1st or 2nd week in August. If you are early the fish are still there just not concentrated at the head. The wall can be productive. Hakai is a must see if you are out that way. Fishing the head first light with the sun rising and the morning mist on the water baileys and coffee in hand bacon sizzling in the pan. Priceless.

Now that sounds awesome!

TIA

I assume you are talking about Rivers Inlet. If you want the 40-50+ lb spring, you should go in the last 2 weeks of July and 1st week of August. Do remember that you are going after "Big Game", i.e. 50+ lbs, so opportunities will be few. You have to stay committed and fish through those long periods of no action. Over the many years I've fished there, slowly trolling with cut plug at about 15-20 ft (14 to 18 pulls) close to shore, near kelp beds at The Wall, the Dome, Rough's bluff, CC Hog hole......If it weren't so expensive getting up there, I'd fish it every year! Good luck!

My buddy and his friends are going up for their annual trip the first week of August. I believe that's when they always go. I'm hoping to also go this year. I've never been there before so I'm pretty stoked if I can pull it off. They go up for 10 days. If I go I may boat up from Port Hardy.
I just ordered a couple custom made cradle nets in case I can make the trip for catch and releasing those big beauties up there. My biggest Southern Spring landed is 42 lbs so I gotta pop that 50 lb cherry at some point in my life! :)
If I make the trip Sr SQ I'll keep you posted and maybe we might see you up there. They stay at Dawson's Landing. Sounds like they have a great time up there.

Where id you get the cradle nets from?

X2 on hakai pass..odlum pt 15-20 pulls as close to the wall as possible with a nice herring will do you wonders.

North end of calvert island has some of the nicest white sand beaches i have ever seen..esspecially early in the year when you can spot lunkers 10' down! used to jump the north beach sand bar with an old 17' whaler and 70hp tiller to cut some time getting out to the hali grounds :)

A must if you are central coast way.

Where id you get the cradle nets from?

My friend Don is the owner/manufacturer of Moby Nets. The soft fabric nets made for catch and release fishing, brood stocking, and is the same material used by Fisheries and Ocean employees etc..
He is super busy with orders as he's self employed but I got him to make a couple special large 60" custom ones for me a a buddy. I was talking to him about making a larger run of them for guys I know, forum members, fish guides, lodge owners etc. but I think he's really busy at the moment. He didn't jump all over the idea unfortunately. Maybe when he slows down a bit.
I'm trying to talk him into also making a large Spring dip/landing net made from the same materials. He said maybe in the Fall for that one. If he does it I'll try to talk him into making me a bunch of them for guys that want them on the forum.

http://www.mobynets.com/

Thx for all the info guys its much appreciated.
Not yet firmed up but it looks like we are shooting for a departure time of 07/24
Hakai is totally on the list!

This is a must do for me as well, I will be very interested in hearing a report of how you make out and start the planning for perhaps next year.

Best of luck.

Getbent

Back