Right handed fishing reels

I use 50# hollow core braid with a 30-40ft 50# mono top shot. I had charkbait put on the braid & do the splice. 50# seems to be what most resorts are using. My feeling is that worst case & i have to break-off the line, 50# is easier than something heavier. Very few of the reels you will be looking at have enough drag to justify heavier line. I am 67 Y/O & like a lighter reel, so 50# gave me 400 yds or so of capacity.

That's what I was wondering. You need that section of mono as a shock absorber as there is no give in braid. Then I can use a lighter leader as insurance. I would still like to be able to splice it though, just in case so maybe I'll just go with solid core. I looked at some videos and couldn't find them splicing anything less than 80lb which is bit much for my needs. I may as well save the money and just get some solid core. No doubt once I get into this and know exactly what I want, I will be after some better gear anyway. I'm just getting some inexpensive starter gear for now that will end up being for the kids and grandkids to use down the road.

I did loose a nice Salmon a couple years back when the braid-to-mono knot hung-up in a rod guide. I'd never do a hollow core splice on the boat but would use a knot till I got back to shore.

As a right handed person who has fished for 50 years I find it strange that when I walk into a store here on the Island, nearly all the level wind and centre pin reels are RH retrieve, which is actually for a lefty. After fishing for 50 yrs, I have always casted and controlled the rod with my right hand. My freshwater fishing gear, as well as fly rods have always been that way. Nearly all the spinning reels are the opposite and are set up what I consider the correct way for a righty, with a LH retrieve, so I find that a little confusing. As I am just starting out with saltwater setups I went to buy 2 downrigger setups, as well as 2 bottom setups today and looked at an endless array of RH retrieve reels but very little LH retrieve. Not a big deal with the downriggers as I got a couple of inexpensive centre pins for those and they are easy to change over but I wanted to put level winds on the bottom rods and I think they only had 2 reels. I'm sure I can find them online, just seems odd that they want to force both LH and right handed people to reel one way. And no, I don't want to fish with the reel upside down and wind backwards.

I felt the same way as a RH caster .I prefer to reel with my LH so I bought a Penn 49L for bottom fishing put 130# tuff line on it with 80 # mono works great very fast retrieve.

I use 50# hollow core braid with a 30-40ft 50# mono top shot. I had charkbait put on the braid & do the splice. 50# seems to be what most resorts are using. My feeling is that worst case & i have to break-off the line, 50# is easier than something heavier. Very few of the reels you will be looking at have enough drag to justify heavier line. I am 67 Y/O & like a lighter reel, so 50# gave me 400 yds or so of capacity.

I am seeing what you said also. I have found a few reels that are a nice size and have good capacity with 50lb braid vs mono but I notice the maximum drag setting is around 20lb. I would use my finger on the spool with spinning reels so I assume this is the same and you just use thumb pressure if needed ?

20 lbs of drag is enough to land a BFT lol. Thumb on the spool is a great way to lose a fish and burn your thumb.

20 lbs of drag is enough to land a BFT lol. Thumb on the spool is a great way to lose a fish and burn your thumb.
You are very right. The drag pressure is not proportionate to the size of fish. For example a Daiwa Saltiga Dogfight spinning reel has a 65lb drag and they catch 300lb yellowfin with it. Same thing with the Shimano Stella 30000 at 55lbs of drag.

I've easily handled 25lb salmon with my Trinidad TN12A which has 17lbs of drag (which is silky smooth btw). Probably the best overall jigging reel I own is the Shimano Trinidad TN16NA which is a narrow spool conventional non-levelwind reel. 25lbs of drag and 370 yards of 50lb test. It made quick work of a 65lb hali last year. A good high quality reel with last a lifetime if cared for properly.

I'm here to learn. Is 20lb drag plenty? I never even looked at those kinds of specs spinning and jigging for Walleye with spinning reels, or even when fly fishing. What the heck is a BFT ?

I'm just going to change tacks a little bit and buy some cheaper gear to start. Then, once I have gained some experience, I can buy some better gear and the kids and grandkids can use this stuff.

Yes 20# is quite a bit of drag. BFT = Blue fin tuna or big f-ing tuna if you prefer. Some of the newer penn reels are quite good for the money. Myself, I use all Avet reels for my bottom fishing. They can be had in left and right handed retrieve and have great drags and probably the fewest # of parts for a reel of conventional design.

Yes 20# is quite a bit of drag. BFT = Blue fin tuna or big f-ing tuna if you prefer. Some of the newer penn reels are quite good for the money. Myself, I use all Avet reels for my bottom fishing. They can be had in left and right handed retrieve and have great drags and probably the fewest # of parts for a reel of conventional design.

Thanks. I thought it was a big f-ing something, lol. The guy at the store showed me a Penn and an Okuma. He only had one Penn in LH but it was a bit bigger than I think I want. The Okuma was a nice size he but only had it in RH, he said they were a decent reel. I found a bunch online at Charkbait and a few other places. I appreciate all the feedback. I have a lot going on right now; new boat, motors, electronics, boating gear, fishing gear etc. My wife has already made a couple of comments about this being twice as much as the last boat but she doesn't understand how important this stuff is, lol. I'm going to get a couple of cheaper starter rods and reels and make sure she see's the receipts, then I will just get a few upgrades later. Happy wife, happy life.

Thanks. I thought it was a big f-ing something, lol. The guy at the store showed me a Penn and an Okuma. He only had one Penn in LH but it was a bit bigger than I think I want. The Okuma was a nice size he but only had it in RH, he said they were a decent reel. I found a bunch online at Charkbait and a few other places. I appreciate all the feedback. I have a lot going on right now; new boat, motors, electronics, boating gear, fishing gear etc. My wife has already made a couple of comments about this being twice as much as the last boat but she doesn't understand how important this stuff is, lol. I'm going to get a couple of cheaper starter rods and reels and make sure she see's the receipts, then I will just get a few upgrades later. Happy wife, happy life.
I bought some stuff in the US today and the exchange rate on my visa was an additional 33%. I can all but guarantee that you can get a better price from a local retailer. You may just have to wait for them to get it in. US prices seem reasonable until you get smashed with exchange, shipping, duty and if they use anyone other than USPS ridiculous brokerage charges. I always specify that if they can't ship USPS that I won't order. I haven't had anyone yet say no to that. Something to keep in mind anyway.

And to answer your question, 20lbs of drag is plenty of drag on the west coast. 30lb braid with a 50lb leader and 300 yards of line will catch 95% of what we fish for in BC. Have a look at the attached. I've had it in my hand and it feels pretty good. Have you ever seen a kid struggle with a Penn 30LW? It probably the most popular cod/hali reel on the coast from what I see. It's not pretty and they end up tapping out with that thing wobbling all over the place. 305 yards of 50lb test is tons.

Attachments

• Penn SQL15.JPG
    Penn SQL15.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 16
You might be over thinking all of this. I bet on average my drags are set around 4-5 lb for salmon. For Albacore tuna.....I set drags around 10lb. Drags should be set around 25%-30% or so of rod rating. Also, do yourself a favor and learn to fish a conventional reel right handed. It will literally take on trip to get used to it.

I'm 100% lefty and no damn way I can reel with a LH reel. I don't even own one. I lost an opportunity to get a Columbia springer because I couldn't reel LH. Thank god all of you RH'ers reel incorrectly. I may be a lefty but I do things the Right Way.

I'm 100% lefty and no damn way I can reel with a LH reel. I don't even own one. I lost an opportunity to get a Columbia springer because I couldn't reel LH. Thank god all of you RH'ers reel incorrectly. I may be a lefty but I do things the Right Way.

Haha. I can do it either way when I have to but I prefer the rod in my right and want these reels the same as all my others. I have fished RH retrieves several times on charters but I may as well buy what I prefer.

Drag should be set for 25% of mono line breaking strength so you better be bringing some pretty big guns to the fight to need 20# of drag lol

Back