Rigger rods

Orion

What are you guys running for trolling rods? I have been using my Berkley roughnech with a penn gti320. I would love to upgrade to an islander but can't afford it. I like the lenth of the roughneck and the feel of it is great, I love seeing the rod bend when you hit a big one. I need a second good rod for the new boat. Any pros or cons would be great. Thanks Dave.

The fenwick HMX 1265 is a popular rod, a similar rod would be the shimano convergence. Both are good rods without breaking the bank. Of course there are some better ones out there, but these are great IMO

X2 on what FF said. I bought two HMX 1265's last summer and really liked them for the money. I use a couple of Lami's as well that are more money than the Fenwick but I like them about the same. There seems to be quite a few decent rods out now in a reasonable price range these days.......My Two Cents......Cheers!

Those Berkley Roughnecks have to be the toughest rods i've ever used......especially for the price.

I still have a dozen of them.

Shimano Technium. I also have a Talora and a Fenwick. All 10.6 long med action
Used Reddel glass rods at the Lodge all summer and for the most part performed well enough for the abuse they suffered. Tops were somewhat fragile when 'tested'.

I feel the best 9 1/2ft rigger rod in the market that is currently available is the Trophy TSS590MHC Rod....Just my 2 bits.... :)

X3 on the Shimano Technium, super tough rod, with great performance.
Agree'd again, just bought a couple off Derby and love them,
had the talora's but dont like the action too stiff for me.

...Technium rods are awesome! Medium action for shallow to mid depths and H2's for super deep 180ft or better or dual target for hali and spring. LOVE 'em!

DHA.

I run the shimano convergence and I have one technium I like it also. Tryed the Fenwick out this year snapped 3 times once just trolling on the rigger never saw it happen before.

Shimano techniums are great. However, I've had the opportunity to use a Rapala Classic Moocher and I can say that has been one fantastic rod. Seems faster than the Technium, a really nice formed cork foregrip, a metal plug at the end and I have nothing but praise for the workmanship and feel of the rod.

In my opinion, Techniums and Rapala Classic Moochers get my vote. Had some Sage 4110s which I sold years ago and they were great....the feel was outstanding. However, extremely pricey.

Sounds like I'm going shopping for a couple techniums for christmas. Thanks guys nice to see a strong one sided opinion.

I purchased the new trophy titan 3 power(comes in 2 3 and 4 power) and it feels and looks great.....Still too early to tell but it was designed by the old salt water sage designer and at $225 right now on at harbour chandlour in Nanaimo its not rediculously expensive. Most other places have it for around $270-$280 which is why i bought it there.

Going to purchase my other main rod soon and will look at a fetha styx downrigger rod or power moocher.

You won't be disappointed in the Fetha Styx. I love my 4 piece 5 weight fly rod and will be picking up the motor moocher in the spring. They make a very nice rod and the pricing is fair for what you get. The shop I deal with will usually match the posted price. All I would pay for is shipping and brokerage. Although my brother-in-law lives in Seattle, so I'm going to get him to buy it and bring it up when he comes for a visit. Then I have no brokerage or shipping.

Just saw on my Facebook page that Fetha Styx is having a 1 day sale on all CCA rods at 50% off. Sale is today. Unfortunately looks like it excludes the downrigger rod, but it might include the motor moocher? You'd have to call and find out. 425-376-0200.

Decided to swap out my trophy titan and go with 2 of the fetha styx 10'6 downrigger rods and paired them with the trophy qr reels. The rods have lots of play in them but still have some back bone. (the handle and durability is what sold me on these rods along with the feel)

I got harbour chandler in Nanaimo to order them in so they are now set up to carry them regularly. They had 2 of the 10'6 left, along with some 9'3 and 9'6 down rigger rods. The 9'3 and 9'6 seem to feel alot beefier almost like the 20-30lb techniums. As soon as I am able to take them for a test run I will let you know how they feel. The retail is $199...Very similar to what the fetha styx website has them for. http://www.fethastyx.com/CCA

Here are a few shots.....There are 15 eyelits on the rod if you are wondering..More than almost any 10'6" rod I have seen.

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back